Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-04-2011, 07:59 AM   #127
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

Drives: 2010 Silver/Black 2SS/RS Manual
How did we get so far off-topic? PQ, how is it coming along?
Old 01-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #128
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver2SSRS6spd View Post
Sorry, my bad. This is what happens when PQ neglects us for more than 10 minutes. For further examples, see his car journal.

Now back to our regularly scheduled maggie install...
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #129
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
Randy,

Since you bought yours used, it probably doesn't have the little pieces of black wire loom holding up the bolts that bolt the lower intake manifold to the top of the heads. These temporary pieces of loom make it MUCH easier to sit the blower on top of the engine, so that those long bolts don't drop down and grab onto the intake ports. Good idea to make some more of those before lifting that heavy mofo up there.

You won't need a BAP for under 550 rwhp. That should cover a 3.6 pulley with your longtubes no problem.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #130
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
Randy,

Since you bought yours used, it probably doesn't have the little pieces of black wire loom holding up the bolts that bolt the lower intake manifold to the top of the heads. These temporary pieces of loom make it MUCH easier to sit the blower on top of the engine, so that those long bolts don't drop down and grab onto the intake ports. Good idea to make some more of those before lifting that heavy mofo up there.

You won't need a BAP for under 550 rwhp. That should cover a 3.6 pulley with your longtubes no problem.
Thank You!!!

I've been calling around my trusted sources and they all agree.

However. I have been cautioned that when you get the dyno tune make sure to use a fuel pressure gauge and watch it closely to see if pressure drops during the pull. Something both my tuners did. and seems to be normal operating procedure for any reputable tuner.

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #131
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

Quote:
Randy,

big time helpful hint.

You will not be able to get rear bolts in without doing this. I believe they were ~ 1 inch long.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #132
racer778
Camaro Sold

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS/RS
heater hose relocation kit

looks like your install is coming along great. Mine took 7.5 hours but I accomplished it on an Air Force Base Hobby shop and had help from a few friends. here's a link. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66809

I would suggest purchasing a heater hose relocation kit along with the other tips everyone has made. here is a link ADM carries it. Call TechAFX about it. I visited with them at SEMA and they provided some useful information http://admperformance.com/products.p...50&product=210 Other than that most everything has been covered. Looks like I'll be adding a catch can from all the info I have been reading on it. I have over 20k on the engine since the Maggie install. Great Product. Good Luck
racer778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #133
redZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Conv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJG View Post
I also used the I couldn't get it completely to the spec so I'm keeping an eye on it. method..... i got 3/4's of the 140 degrees

I had the same problem, and called it "good enough" when I snapped a 1/2" socket extension.
redZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:45 AM   #134
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer778 View Post
looks like your install is coming along great. Mine took 7.5 hours but I accomplished it on an Air Force Base Hobby shop and had help from a few friends. here's a link. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66809

I would suggest purchasing a heater hose relocation kit along with the other tips everyone has made. here is a link ADM carries it. Call TechAFX about it. I visited with them at SEMA and they provided some useful information http://admperformance.com/products.p...50&product=210 Other than that most everything has been covered. Looks like I'll be adding a catch can from all the info I have been reading on it. I have over 20k on the engine since the Maggie install. Great Product. Good Luck
Must have mod without a doubt.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #135
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
You better get that mirror back to it's owner before she clobbers you
lmao. My daughter wasn't pleased. hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessika@Magnacharger View Post
Nice mirror...

J/k! Looks like you did a great job pinning!
Here was the picture I took during my pinning experience
Nice. I didn't have the primary drill but so I used the collared bit the whole way. Took a chance but it worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Oh lookie... the mirror is pink! Did you borrow it from Tag?
No, but when I noticed the pink in the pics I thought about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
that's what i was thinking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
He's makin' a list.
He's checkin' it twice......

The veiws and opinions expressed by the posters in this thread so not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the OP in this thread. View discresion is advised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSUNCSU View Post
Putting these things on are like tattoos, they hurt while your doing it but when you're done, you can't wait to do it again.

I'm actually having fun with it. I just wish I could dovote all of my time to it.

Quote:
lol, this tends to happen with a few of us.

Well. Had to bowl league last night and at work today. Got end of the year to do so we'll see how it goes. Had to buy a damn 40.00 kit with the right allen socket for the drive pulley/hb bolt. Ugh..... and had to take a trip to the dealer to get a new bolt.

NOT complaining though. Tim gave me a helluva deal on this blower even for it being mildly used. There are just a few things that can't be there because they were already used on the first install. I wanted it anyway. I was gonna go out and work lastnight but GTAHVIT talked sense into me. I had been drinking at the bowling alley. I plan on wrking some tonight. It looks like it should really start to ge fast now.

Quote:
Sorry, my bad. This is what happens when PQ neglects us for more than 10 minutes. For further examples, see his car journal.
Quote:
Randy,

Sweet. Ya, I just talked to Tim and T&T and he told me how to get the blower slid on and down without the bolts hanging.

My only fear on the BAP is not that the stock system won't handle it, but if the stock system gets fouled up somehow, will it sneak up on me and blow a piston?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
I have been cautioned that when you get the dyno tune make sure to use a fuel pressure gauge and watch it closely to see if pressure drops during the pull. Something both my tuners did. and seems to be normal operating procedure for any reputable tuner.

I'll be watching when they do. I think I'm just gonna start with the 3.8 and the stock Manusun tune and drive to your house and let them do it like we talked about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer778 View Post

Good info. I'll check it out.

Ya. I am a believer in a catch can now.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #136
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redZ28 View Post
I had the same problem, and called it "good enough" when I snapped a 1/2" socket extension.
I snapped one getting it off. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJG View Post
I also used the I couldn't get it completely to the spec so I'm keeping an eye on it. method..... i got 3/4's of the 140 degrees
Me too. I was telling GTAHVIT yesterday, I can't get any more on it. But I'm fuguring if I put more torque on it tightening it, than getting it off, I'm probably gonna be fine. Plus, we pinned the pulley anyway. It should be fine.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #137
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Your tuner can check whether your fuel pump is handling the new demands on fuel ok. I would suggest you have the car tuned right away after you install the maggie. Don't be tempted to drive at high rpms until you have it tuned. That way, if you need a BAP, your tuner can tell you before anything bad might happen. If the tuner says your stock pump is aok, then you saved a few hundred bucks. (I still think you should get the 3.6" pulley with those headers.)
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:43 PM   #138
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Your tuner can check whether your fuel pump is handling the new demands on fuel ok. I would suggest you have the car tuned right away after you install the maggie. Don't be tempted to drive at high rpms until you have it tuned. That way, if you need a BAP, your tuner can tell you before anything bad might happen. If the tuner says your stock pump is aok, then you saved a few hundred bucks. (I still think you should get the 3.6" pulley with those headers.)
I'm gonna take the 3.6 with me to the tuners. And do both. Won't take 15 minutes or so to swap them out. I may go to Jacksonville to get it done. The stock tune for my blower is based off of a 3.8 pulley so I should be fine. I'll just drive on cruise.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #139
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
Not sure it was mentioned yet or not, but those rubber heater hoses are a HUGE B*TCH to get off of the firewall heater core nipples. The best way to get them off is to heat them up with a heat gun first (yes, some idiot glued them on at the factory) and then twist them with some channel locks. If that doesn't work, bust out the razor blade and act like Freddie Kruger on them. They'll never go back in, so no sense keeping them.

Tony
Old 01-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #140
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

Unhappy

Quote:
Not sure it was mentioned yet or not, but those rubber heater hoses are a HUGE B*TCH to get off of the firewall heater core nipples. The best way to get them off is to heat them up with a heat gun first (yes, some idiot glued them on at the factory) and then twist them with some channel locks. If that doesn't work, bust out the razor blade and act like Freddie Kruger on them. They'll never go back in, so no sense keeping them.

Tony
Yes, I cut mine off. That idiot by be a member of this board that was Kay doing what they were told to do by their boss.