Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #1
Ishamj1

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Yes... Another exhaust question

Morning all,
I just bought a 2013 Camaro 2SS a few days ago. I am looking to upgrade the exhaust, but have been reading about the horrible AFM stories. I hear there is basically nothing you can do, etc, etc. I have also heard SOME exhaust systems that are high quality can tune it out. I have been looking at the Borla ATAK and the Corsa sport cat back. I had the Corsa sports on my C6 before I traded it in and it sounded amazing. I have never had to deal with the AFM when it comes to exhaust so I really dont want to waste my money and be upset. I have found the ATAK/Sports on fleabay new for around $1200.

I really dont want to touch the tune on the car (I know I can tune out the AFM) because I want to maintain full factory warranty. I actually work in the service department and I know they would NOT help me out
Ishamj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
You are in luck. There is a huge Camaro community in the Houston area call H-Town Camaro Club. Google it and you will get their website. My suggestion would be to attend an event or two and listen to what is available in person and get feedback from the owners. Maybe even go for a ride. That is the best way to go about selecting an exhaust system. What some random person on a forum likes may not be what you will like.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
That's some graet advice right there. Good thinking Chase!
Old 07-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
What Apex Chase said it so true. If you could just ride along in an L99 car that someone has swapped the stock exhaust and has no tune, that would be the best. I know the Corsa makes the system 14952 for the L99. That was the first mod I did. Well it did not work as far as hiding the AFM noises. Maybe every car is going to sound different, maybe noises that bother me will not bother someone else. I am very particular when it comes to my vechicles running and sounding just right. If I had to do it over again, and I know what I know now, and was dead set on No Tune. I would leave the stock exhaust alone. That's just me. One guy's experience and opinion.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
Ishamj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTool View Post
What Apex Chase said it so true. If you could just ride along in an L99 car that someone has swapped the stock exhaust and has no tune, that would be the best. I know the Corsa makes the system 14952 for the L99. That was the first mod I did. Well it did not work as far as hiding the AFM noises. Maybe every car is going to sound different, maybe noises that bother me will not bother someone else. I am very particular when it comes to my vechicles running and sounding just right. If I had to do it over again, and I know what I know now, and was dead set on No Tune. I would leave the stock exhaust alone. That's just me. One guy's experience and opinion.
I appreciate the honesty
Old 07-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
Cpanthers85

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
I know it kinda defeats the purpose of having an A6, but if you paddle shift the car all the time, it will not go into AFM. That's honestly what I did for about 2months... Then I got tired of having to shift all the time and I wanted to make it louder, so on when the headers/tune and off went the warranty.

Mods: Kooks Long Tube Headers, RotoFaB EForce CAI, American Thunder Catback Exhaust, PFADT Stage 1 Drag Kit + Front Sway Bar, GM Strut Tower Bar. ZL1 Fuel Pump. Nitto NT05R. RX Catch Can.LS9 Cam and Springs.LS3 Conversion.JRE Fuel Rail Upgrade.Edelbrock Eforce.60# Eforce Injectors.Extreme Racing Tune. 523/495

MY BUILD THREAD
Cpanthers85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
black.

Drives: IBM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpanthers85 View Post
I know it kinda defeats the purpose of having an A6, but if you paddle shift the car all the time, it will not go into AFM. That's honestly what I did for about 2months... Then I got tired of having to shift all the time and I wanted to make it louder, so on when the headers/tune and off went the warranty.

Interesting. . .
black. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #8
AtotheJ
2010 Camaro 2SS LS3

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3
I purchased my 2010 LS3 used and it came with Corsa, and I honestly didn't like it. It was way too raspy for my taste. The Borla Atak had a very similar sound too. I took off the Corsa and sold it and got Magnaflow Competition and added Texas Speed Headers. It does drone, but it doesn't bother me, it sounds a lot better than the Corsa. Sound like a "muscle car" in my opinion. I live off of 59 north and 1960 if you want to hear what the car sounds like i'd be happy to show you.

| TSP Headers | Magnaflow | CAI | LMR Tune | BC Racing | Pfadt Sways |
AtotheJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #9
Ishamj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtotheJ View Post
I purchased my 2010 LS3 used and it came with Corsa, and I honestly didn't like it. It was way too raspy for my taste. The Borla Atak had a very similar sound too. I took off the Corsa and sold it and got Magnaflow Competition and added Texas Speed Headers. It does drone, but it doesn't bother me, it sounds a lot better than the Corsa. Sound like a "muscle car" in my opinion. I live off of 59 north and 1960 if you want to hear what the car sounds like i'd be happy to show you.
That would be awesome!
Old 07-25-2012, 12:15 AM   #10
AtotheJ
2010 Camaro 2SS LS3

Ya, just let me know

Old 07-25-2012, 07:31 AM   #11
Ishamj1

Who did the headers and tune on your car? ^^
Old 07-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #12
GTUPONIT

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue & 2017 SS White
Love this forum, great people giving great advice.

I too have an exhaust question. My 2012 is completely stock, I want to eliminate the mufflers and want to know if it will still sound OK. I have heard others in my area with the muffler delete and they sound aggressive but they also have a lot of mods. I want to keep mine stock but sound better,

1- will it sound good
2- where can I get the pipes to do the work myself? Don't want to pay 400.00 for 6' of pipe.
GTUPONIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #13
AtotheJ
2010 Camaro 2SS LS3

I installed the headers myself and with the help of some friends, and I had LMR ( Late Model Racecraft ) do the tune. It was my first time to do a tune on a car, but they really took care of me. From the looks of what was in their shop, looked they really only did LS cars, and a few Fords.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #14
Ishamj1

How hard was the header install? Everyone I've talked to quoted $550+ just for headers. Any ill effects from the tune? Tunes have always scared me a little