Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-14-2021, 04:51 PM   #1
Ruger2506

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT
Are tunes generic?

I know Will sends specific tunes to each customer. But I'm curious how different they really could be.

My car for example. Wouldn't all 2012 2LT with the same modifications be pretty darn similar and be able to utilize a generic tune to improve upon what is currently programmed.

And if so, who has the same setup and mods as me and wants to send me their tune from Will? I'm dying waiting for my E85 and 91+ Tune.
2012 Camaro 2LT Manual Transmission. -JacFab Ported Intake Manifold -JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer -Overkill 80mm Throttle Body -CAI cold air intake -Overkill E85 Kit -Catch Can -Magnaflow Cat-Back exhaust system -Overkill E85 Tune
Ruger2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:04 PM   #2
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Sure. There are generic aspects to the first tune when you deal with mail-order stuff. But then it gets logged and altered if the canned-tune wasn't acting appropriately based on how your car took to it.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:09 PM   #3
Ruger2506

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
Sure. There are generic aspects to the first tune when you deal with mail-order stuff. But then it gets logged and altered if the canned-tune wasn't acting appropriately based on how your car took to it.
That brings up an excellent point I've been meaning to ask. Once I get my tunes, how do I know what I'm missing or what isn't "nailing it"? I'm new to the car game and the performance optimization game.
2012 Camaro 2LT Manual Transmission. -JacFab Ported Intake Manifold -JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer -Overkill 80mm Throttle Body -CAI cold air intake -Overkill E85 Kit -Catch Can -Magnaflow Cat-Back exhaust system -Overkill E85 Tune
Old 05-14-2021, 05:21 PM   #4
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
You won't really...I mean, if your car feels slower/weird, then obviously you'll know...

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:23 PM   #5
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger2506 View Post
That brings up an excellent point I've been meaning to ask. Once I get my tunes, how do I know what I'm missing or what isn't "nailing it"? I'm new to the car game and the performance optimization game.
You log your car while you drive and if it's running super lean/rich or popping codes it gets adjusted for that.

If you have a feel for what is wrong, you can mention that too and maybe it can be fixed.

If you want it to be really dialed in, you take it to a local dyno shop and have it tuned on a dyno / on the street if the shop does it.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:28 PM   #6
Ruger2506

Thanks guy, I appreciate it.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:47 PM   #7
Ruger2506

Do I understand correctly? My car's ECU will learn a lot of the tune on it's own.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:23 PM   #8
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger2506 View Post
Do I understand correctly? My car's ECU will learn a lot of the tune on it's own.
No, you load the "base tune" they send you into your ECU, then you drive the car and datalog all the info that the ECU systems sends to the tuning device then you send that info back to them and they adjust it for what they see needs done and send it back to you and you reload the "new" tune onto your ECU, this could be a very time consuming deal to get it right. To save time and aggrevation, as stated above, go get a custom dyno tune and be done.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:50 PM   #9
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
It depends on who is doing the tuning and what for.

My SCT X4 tune was a canned tune and about as generic as you could get.

My first 'real' tune was done by DynoSteve. Many would consider his tune a 'generic' tune because he draws from a library of thousands of previously tuned cars with every possible combination of mods you can think of, and usually doesn't require a datalog...and he is smart to do it this way. Why rewrite what has already been written? Generic tune or not, DynoSteve had my car running amazingly and I couldn't imagine it being any closer to perfect for the mods I had at the time. This is possible due to the sheer amount of cars he has tuned over many years.

My current cam tune was done by Ryan at GPI, remotely via HP Tuners. Now, I don't know if the first revision was a 'template' that he uses for cars with similar mods to mine, but it took him 7 further revisions to get it just right, using datalogs all along the way. I was very happy with this as I knew that he was tweaking everything based on each log's result. So I know this was about as custom as it could get for my mods. There are some people that would never go with a remote tune, but I totally trusted Ryan. Sure, I would love to have him dyno tune and street tune it, but I live hundreds of miles away and $$$ doesn't grow on trees. Maybe someday.

Two totally different methods with amazing end results. Personally, I don't give a damn how you got there as long as my car runs at its absolute best and is safe.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7š overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160š thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:27 PM   #10
L99MARO
#teamGPI

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
It depends on who is doing the tuning and what for.

My SCT X4 tune was a canned tune and about as generic as you could get.

My first 'real' tune was done by DynoSteve. Many would consider his tune a 'generic' tune because he draws from a library of thousands of previously tuned cars with every possible combination of mods you can think of, and usually doesn't require a datalog...and he is smart to do it this way. Why rewrite what has already been written? Generic tune or not, DynoSteve had my car running amazingly and I couldn't imagine it being any closer to perfect for the mods I had at the time. This is possible due to the sheer amount of cars he has tuned over many years.

My current cam tune was done by Ryan at GPI, remotely via HP Tuners. Now, I don't know if the first revision was a 'template' that he uses for cars with similar mods to mine, but it took him 7 further revisions to get it just right, using datalogs all along the way. I was very happy with this as I knew that he was tweaking everything based on each log's result. So I know this was about as custom as it could get for my mods. There are some people that would never go with a remote tune, but I totally trusted Ryan. Sure, I would love to have him dyno tune and street tune it, but I live hundreds of miles away and $$$ doesn't grow on trees. Maybe someday.

Two totally different methods with amazing end results. Personally, I don't give a damn how you got there as long as my car runs at its absolute best and is safe.
Totally agree, Ryan tuned the hell outta my car, runs like a scalded cat
L99MARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:53 PM   #11
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I had my car tuned by Ryan at GPI also. Then I had it dyno tuned and picked up almost 30 hp. Now I'm not saying that my car didn't run decent on the GPI tune but was just better after the dyno tune and that's to be expected. PM me for more info on this tune from GPI.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 06:35 AM   #12
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
That's alot of hp left on the table, how did Ryan tune it? Specifically, how many times did you datalog? Retune?

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 06:57 AM   #13
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Probably the difference was a safe tune vs. max tune...
Old 05-15-2021, 06:59 AM   #14
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
That's alot of hp left on the table, how did Ryan tune it? Specifically, how many times did you datalog? Retune?
I don't really want to say unless you pm me.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote