Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-16-2017, 02:48 PM   #1
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Okay I can’t do it

It’s salt city here on the roads, I told myself I’d leave my car parked till the road clears. It’s eating me alive to drive my Nissan everyday though.

Is there a way I can still drive the beast and keep the effects of salt to a minimum? I assume washing it soon after driving it would help.

I don’t know how you guys put your cars into hibernation during this time of year
Old 12-16-2017, 04:59 PM   #2
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
The fact that I don't have to hear rock salt granules sloshing below my car's floor is reason enough that I rejoice at having my babies hibernate. It sucks but snow, ice and salt suck 100 times more.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:09 PM   #3
Windycity

Drives: Yellow 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_SS View Post

Is there a way I can still drive the beast and keep the effects of salt to a minimum? I assume washing it soon after driving it would help.

Shoot the underside with fluid film

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:33 PM   #4
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX

Leave it be, that's how it stays nice.
Now go order it some sexy parts so its ready for spring.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:41 PM   #5
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
If you have another car to drive in the salt, you would be crazy to expose your Camaro.

My 2010 is parked for a full 6 months. The undercarriage looks like the day I took delivery. It has 60,000 miles and I drive it in the rain, but never in the salt season.

My winter cars suffer corrosion that can't be prevented by washing. Driving at high speed in salt spray forces the corrosive stuff into every nook and cranny.

If you can avoid it, DON"T DO IT!!!!!
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:46 PM   #6
Windycity

Drives: Yellow 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post

If you can avoid it, DON"T DO IT!!!!!

I agree,

personally I don’t understand the whole “storing“ cars for the winter time and not driving them for 3 or six months because even if the weather is cold (12°) but the streets are clear I will take the Camaro out for a cruise. I don’t care about the temperature I just care whether the streets are clear or not...

On a bright sunny cold day if the streets are clear I’ll always take the car for a quick cruise

Windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:48 PM   #7
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Drives: 2022 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_SS View Post
It’s salt city here on the roads, I told myself I’d leave my car parked till the road clears. It’s eating me alive to drive my Nissan everyday though.

I don’t know how you guys put your cars into hibernation during this time of year
I feel your pain, mine is hibernating now. Although the first 40+ degree day when roads are dry, we will be tearing up as many back roads as we can.

I live in MN, but I spend two weeks every month in Virginia. Your winters are fairly mild, I thought they used that glycol liquid stuff on the roads out there. Someone told me that is supposed to be non-corrosive and better for vehicles??

have you looked into Xpel? may help protect your car.
StreetRage320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:55 PM   #8
asand1

Drives: 2015 V6 6MT
You will be figuratively be eaten alive.

Your car will be literally eaten alive. Don't do it.
asand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:59 PM   #9
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
I agree,

personally I don’t understand the whole “storing“ cars for the winter time and not driving them for 3 or six months because even if the weather is cold (12°) but the streets are clear I will take the Camaro out for a cruise. I don’t care about the temperature I just care whether the streets are clear or not...

On a bright sunny cold day if the streets are clear I’ll always take the car for a quick cruise

I agree I try to take mine out a few times each winter on cold dry days. Nothing gets on the car to speak of if the pavement is dry. If it is wet not a chance as that's when you get the spray everywhere. But where I live they are few and far between unfortunately.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:23 PM   #10
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
So driving it on dry days is fine even if there is salt on the roads, or no?

My Nissan is white with salt lol. It's just brutal looking at it everyday and not driving it
Old 12-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #11
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
No!

Pat it's fat ass and talk dirty to it but wait till spring to drive it.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:33 PM   #12
O.F.

Drives: 2015 BLK/BLK 2SS/RS MN6
I drive mine at a minimum, once every few weeks but only on a clear dry day to keep things lubed and moving. No worries. If it gets above freezing, out comes the hose!
O.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:36 PM   #13
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
You could move to California. Salt would become a non issue. But you’d have a 100 new ones!
Old 12-16-2017, 06:39 PM   #14
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
With summer tires, it’s just too cold to take her out of the garage.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote