Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-22-2007, 01:37 AM   #29
theonlyoneleft

Drives: 1995 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to theonlyoneleft
The lights will probably at the very least stay in the black area below the bumper. They may need to move them a little though so that the reverse-light enclosure isn't pretty much touching the exhaust tips though... I doubt the bulbs, glue, and possibly plastic in the enclosure would like the heat too much.

Personally I think the hidden thing is bad-ass. I hope they keep it.

( My first post on these forums ever )
theonlyoneleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:23 AM   #30
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlyoneleft View Post
The lights will probably at the very least stay in the black area below the bumper. They may need to move them a little though so that the reverse-light enclosure isn't pretty much touching the exhaust tips though... I doubt the bulbs, glue, and possibly plastic in the enclosure would like the heat too much.

Personally I think the hidden thing is bad-ass. I hope they keep it.

( My first post on these forums ever )
Good point about the "closeness" of the reverse lights to the tail pipes. The heat could cause long term problem...or a long road trip problem. BTW, welcome to the site!

Dragon, I like your chop. BUT, it would have to be LED's. In other words, all 4 glow red w/ the leds. When the reverse gear is activated, the inner red lights cut off and have the white or clear LED's turn on. That would work just fine by me. HEY!!! ***Lightbulb over the head for GM*** If GM were able to do this, by integrating both the reverse and tail lights into one LED light, that would save a couple more pounds on the car (wiring, bulbs, connectors, hardware, socket, lens, etc.) Just an idea that I think could really work for GM! Good thinkin, Dragon!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:04 AM   #31
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Good point about the "closeness" of the reverse lights to the tail pipes. The heat could cause long term problem...or a long road trip problem. BTW, welcome to the site!

Dragon, I like your chop. BUT, it would have to be LED's. In other words, all 4 glow red w/ the leds. When the reverse gear is activated, the inner red lights cut off and have the white or clear LED's turn on. That would work just fine by me. HEY!!! ***Lightbulb over the head for GM*** If GM were able to do this, by integrating both the reverse and tail lights into one LED light, that would save a couple more pounds on the car (wiring, bulbs, connectors, hardware, socket, lens, etc.) Just an idea that I think could really work for GM! Good thinkin, Dragon!
I hate to think what that would do to cost for replacement lights, even leds can and do go bad. The little "grain of rice" bulbs in the heat/AC controls of some GM vehicles are not available from anyone but GM and cost upwards of $7.00 each over the parts counter, care to guess what an led light assembly would cost?
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:10 AM   #32
LowRider
LowRider

Drives: 1992 Camaro Z28 & 1996 S-10
Send a message via AIM to LowRider Send a message via Yahoo to LowRider
idk but I like that idea to
LowRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:16 AM   #33
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
That's where I was going with this TAG...I sure hope GM has seen this...if the hidden LED's don't work, this sure as hell can
Old 05-22-2007, 04:16 PM   #34
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
I hate to think what that would do to cost for replacement lights, even leds can and do go bad. The little "grain of rice" bulbs in the heat/AC controls of some GM vehicles are not available from anyone but GM and cost upwards of $7.00 each over the parts counter, care to guess what an led light assembly would cost?
Clyde
Cadillac (among many others) have been using them for some time now. Not to say it would be much cheaper from the factory, but it's not as inaccessible as most think.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:30 PM   #35
wildpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
Cadillac (among many others) have been using them for some time now. Not to say it would be much cheaper from the factory, but it's not as inaccessible as most think.
My issue is not with accessability, it is the COST for replacement lights when needed.
Clyde
Old 05-22-2007, 09:15 PM   #36
MerF
Go Rays!

These above are an aftermarket option, from an independant manufacturer, for a C-5. They are going for an advertised $543.73.

Hell these are aftermarket replacements for an F-150 that only go for $299.99.

I wanted to try to get stock (factory) replacement costs to a lexus or Cadillac (first two LED-using cars I could think of) but there's so much damn aftermarket to weed through I decided these got the point across.

I don't see the cost being that much more (total replacement) than any other special-order lens assembly. And LED's have a life that far exceeds incandescent bulbs, so replacement of bulbs, even if more expensive, will still save money in the long run.

In my opinion anyway.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:03 AM   #37
Mr. Wyndham

And really, though, sure LED's fail... but how often...honestly, i've been told and experienced myself for a while, LED's last almost forever....
Old 05-23-2007, 04:59 PM   #38
wildpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
And really, though, sure LED's fail... but how often...honestly, i've been told and experienced myself for a while, LED's last almost forever....
I hate to burst your bubble, but LEDs do not last "almost forever". I have had plenty of LED failures on expensive digital synthesizer keyboards and other electronic gear in my home studio under ideal temp/humidity conditions and no bumping, vibration, etc. Factor in the stress of operating in an automobile and I'm sure that they won't last "almost forever". When (not if) they do fail, you're not looking at replacing a $1.00 light bulb, now you're looking at quite a more expensive proposition. If they have devised a way to make them have longer life and durability, please let me know, but I have not heard of any such breakthroughs.
Clyde
Old 05-23-2007, 05:46 PM   #39
Mr. Wyndham

Hey, sorry man, but I just thought that that was what was so great about LED's they last a really long time...I know mine have
Old 05-23-2007, 06:29 PM   #40
MerF
Go Rays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Hey, sorry man, but I just thought that that was what was so great about LED's they last a really long time...I know mine have
I'm ex-Navy and there are several computer systems that had bulbs in them that were very expensive and had a horrible lifespan. So the Navy finally got thier crap together and went out to get an LED replacements.

US Navy warships are NOT ideal conditions, by any means. And the same bulbs (387 bulbs for any other squids who may see this!) we were replacing on a monthly (or worse) basis were going for months and years without replacement.

And yes, an actual single replacement LED bulb will not be much more than $4.00. The big money will be in the circuitry/transformer/whatever they use to power them.

Not sure how you are having issues like that man, but I'm an electrical engineer and am around electronics all day long...you shouldn't be going through LED's like that unless they are being overdriven like mad (too much current/heat). You have a problem with a power supply in your boards?
Old 05-23-2007, 06:35 PM   #41
Mr. Wyndham

....yeah.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:35 PM   #42
wildpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
I'm ex-Navy and there are several computer systems that had bulbs in them that were very expensive and had a horrible lifespan. So the Navy finally got thier crap together and went out to get an LED replacements.

US Navy warships are NOT ideal conditions, by any means. And the same bulbs (387 bulbs for any other squids who may see this!) we were replacing on a monthly (or worse) basis were going for months and years without replacement.

And yes, an actual single replacement LED bulb will not be much more than $4.00. The big money will be in the circuitry/transformer/whatever they use to power them.

Not sure how you are having issues like that man, but I'm an electrical engineer and am around electronics all day long...you shouldn't be going through LED's like that unless they are being overdriven like mad (too much current/heat). You have a problem with a power supply in your boards?
It's not like they are going bad every day, but over the last twenty years I have seen plenty of failures in my gear and plenty of other peoples gear. If the durability is good and the costs are as reasonable as you claim, then I don't see a problem. My experience has been different than that, maybe led manufacturers have gotten it together these days and offer a better product than what I have dealt with.
Clyde