Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
camaro_on_davins

Drives: 1998 oldsmobile kandy aurora
Send a message via AIM to camaro_on_davins Send a message via Yahoo to camaro_on_davins
I somewhat like the interior but i plan on getting my dash done

i plan on getting my dash fiberglassed so i can fit a 2 din navigation system in there cause i really love the 2 din and can do so much more with the audio/video aspect plans for my camaro. a good idea or not ? pelae let me know
camaro_on_davins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
You need us to validate this because..........................
Old 01-17-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
camaro_on_davins

Send a message via AIM to camaro_on_davins Send a message via Yahoo to camaro_on_davins
to see if its a good idea or not and to see if anybody else had any plans to do anything similar or had different ideas. thats all i hope you wasnt trying to be funny at all
Old 01-17-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
congrats =) u do what u want not what we want buddy

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
My take on customization is that it has to be done right. There is never a wrong idea so long as it improves the driver's pleasure with regard to the ride.

That being said, there are a lot of factors going into whether a modification was done properly. Is it made of high-quality components? Was it worth the money? Buyer's remorse is an epidemic when it comes to car nuts. What exactly do you want to accomplish and is that accomplished to your expectations? Are you realistic? Does the modification perform properly? Is there collateral damage? Can you keep you warranty? The list continues.

In your case, the biggest issues will be fitting the screen in such a way that you like the shape of the dash and that the passenger airbag maintains its functionality. On the positive side, a custom dash may be lighter than a stock dash if proper materials are used. Even though you are doing this for cosmetic and entertainment reasons, I recommend using carbon fiber as a means of weight reduction. Since this is a serious install, expect it to cost a lot.

The screen should be a high-quality one. Make sure that you do your research. I'm sure that you have, but I say this as advise to everyone because not everyone knows the difference between a JL unit and a JBL unit.

Get the right wiring harness. If you need to wire something, make sure that you use the proper wiring harness. Nowadays, GM wires everything through the radio, so harnesses cost more than they used to cost. Cutting corners like this one will only cause you problems.

Finally, remember who the driver is. That's who needs to appreciate the car the most.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffny09 View Post
congrats =) u do what u want not what we want buddy
Exactly what I meant...

That said, its a bad idea..:( There is a ton of R&D that goes into a dash/IP with crash testing etc. I wouldn't want to alter that one bit.
Pre airbag/crumple zones than sure whip out the dash mods, but not today.

=bobby
Old 01-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #7
camaro_on_davins

i got you i did plan on carbon fiber being used and a kenwood double din unit since its an all in one navigatioin and ipod and video and i love the many outputs that it has. yeah i have a well respected shop thats does many new cars and luxury installs. i really believe in you get what you pay for also so half assing it is not in the equation for a 30,000+ dollar purchase
Old 01-18-2009, 07:22 AM   #8
DarrenJ

Drives: '67 Camaro ZZ4 & 2010 IOM 2SS
I would call Crutchfield in Charlottesville, VA, they can help with the wiring harness and the tech aspects of fitment.

Good luck, but after seeing a ton of first-gen dash "modifications", no way I'm going to "hack-saw" my 2010 dash, inside or out.
DarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:28 PM   #9
teamlynn1
Mr. Chevrolet

Drives: 2007 Tahoe Z71, 2009 Silverado
Keep your car as close to stock as possible, add only GM mods. This will add to its value over the years.

Bobby Lynn
GM Burien Chevrolet
www.burienchevrolet.com
206-243-5800 ext 151

teamlynn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:45 PM   #10
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
As others said, it's your car so you do what you want. But if it were me, I would not be buying a brand new car like this and immediately doing major mods.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:32 AM   #11
josh1147
Delivered 29June09

Drives: Early Order Camaro
Funny thing....I just met with my A/V guy here in St. Louis yesterday to discuss this project and 2 other vehicles he has in various stages for me.

The Camaro dash is an "unknown" right now. We don't have any idea what is behind that slick faceplate that has all of those integrated buttons and such. Also, the factory display could very well have integrated information from Onstar, climate, etc....so until someone actually gets their hands on one and tears it apart, we have no idea what we'll end up with.

To Camaro on Davins:
Just my opinion but think you'll have a hard time getting a double din into the dash location without significant modification. There does not look to be enough vertical space between the climate controls and the upper molded portion of the dash.
josh1147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:18 AM   #12
Camaroconvert

Drives: Like a bat outta hell
IMO, I wouldn't want to do any mods to such a masterfully crafted American icon. Inside and out she's as sexy and perfect as any airbrushed centerfold model. Just my .02. Then again, we all have a prefrence and style all our own. That being said, if you're going to do any mods to her, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE GOD, go to a highly qualified shop. You wouldn't go to Dr. Kevorkian for a face lift, so don't skimp on your Camaro. Good luck on your decision.
Camaroconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:22 PM   #13
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaropete View Post
As others said, it's your car so you do what you want. But if it were me, I would not be buying a brand new car like this and immediately doing major mods.
Second that. It gives you that 'bought a used car and fixedit up' feeling. Just my opinion.