Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 01:09 AM   #309
Lumix

Drives: 2015 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synerbee View Post
Despite what people say the new v6 is NOT faster then old V8s.
I'm not too sure about that. That covers a lot of ground.
But I don't think it's a muscle car...I think it's a pony car...like the ones I used to have with V8's that struggled to make 200 horsepower.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:10 AM   #310
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
If we're going by the classic definition of musclecar, no. If we're perhaps allowing the term musclecar to evolve a bit then certainly. 300+ HP is nothing to sneeze at. Especially from 3.6 liters.

I look at the V6 platform as a viable answer, an American answer to the guys addicted to modding Nissans, Toyotas, Mitsu's, Subies and Hondas.

These guys aren't as impressed with V8's as the guys clamoring to get an SS seem to be. They tend to view Camaro and Mustang drivers as hillbilly rednecks. To them a twin turbo V6 Camaro would be more impressive than an SS.

Too bad GM saddled the V6 with that dang Bosch ECU.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:11 AM   #311
Raptor626
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Summit White
LMAO at CamaroFreako's sig.

""Owning a Muscle car without a V8 engine is like having a girlfriend with no ******"
Old 10-13-2011, 01:17 AM   #312
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
No, the v6 camaro isn't a muscle car, but neither is the v8 camaro. It's a pony car.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:25 AM   #313
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
If we're going by the classic definition of musclecar, no. If we're perhaps allowing the term musclecar to evolve a bit then certainly. 300+ HP is nothing to sneeze at. Especially from 3.6 liters.

I look at the V6 platform as a viable answer, an American answer to the guys addicted to modding Nissans, Toyotas, Mitsu's, Subies and Hondas.

These guys aren't as impressed with V8's as the guys clamoring to get an SS seem to be. They tend to view Camaro and Mustang drivers as hillbilly rednecks. To them a twin turbo V6 Camaro would be more impressive than an SS.

Too bad GM saddled the V6 with that dang Bosch ECU.

i have actually talked with a lot of the tuners. and have friends with those cars. from what i found they don't think that way. they say if you are going to have a big heavy muscle car, then at least have it sound good, and have a lot more HP to make up for the weight of this cars.

now if it was a 350z with twin turbos then they love it.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:39 AM   #314
CAPT D

Drives: 1SS Black w/ White Strips M6
Look kids, Big Ben and Parliment.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:40 AM   #315
(Double D)
Sin City Camaro Club

Drives: Pontiac Vibe (VROOOM)
Straight from Timeless Rides the history of the muscle car. Long story short, A V-6 is not considered a muscle car. As you can see from the definition the 1970 base model Chevelle had a 4cyl engine, and just because it was a Chevelle didn't make it a muscle car.

Muscle Car Definition
The definition of a muscle car is a mid-size model car, with V8 engines, generally produced between 1965 and 1973. Most muscle cars were current mid-size models being produced by car manufacturers, and they added a large V8 engine, special trim, and usually better handling and performance options like suspension, braking, etc. A good example of this is the 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle. This model was designed as a mid-size family vehicle and the base model was powered by a lonely ‘ol 4 cylinder engine, or you could team it up with the biggest muscle car engine of it’s time, the 454.

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including thier life." That is Patriotism, and there are far too many people who have forgotten that.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:42 AM   #316
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
During the muscle car era - from someone who was there - the "muscle" car was the model with the biggest, baddest stock from the factory power plant. The gen 5 Camaro SS would, by the original standard, be the "muscle" car. My V6, while no slouch, is not, by my interpretation, a muscle car.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:45 AM   #317
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
GM marketed these as sports cars. I think the v6 model are sports car and the SS is a muscle car
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
Old 10-13-2011, 01:58 AM   #318
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Does it really matter if some say it is or it isnt???
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
Old 10-13-2011, 02:18 AM   #319
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSNEEKSx View Post
Does it really matter if some say it is or it isnt???
not at all lol

Some people might even see it as a luxury car, suv, family sedan so it truly doesnt matter
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
Old 10-13-2011, 04:23 AM   #320
RIPws6

Drives: 2019 2SS Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangepeel View Post
When I think of a "muscle car" I usually envision something with a V8, but not sure if anything bearing a Camaro, Mustang, or Challenger nameplate (V6 included) is sufficient. Not trying to start an engine war, just curious is all.
Sufficient for what?
..and what are you curious about?
What are the insurance premiums on your muscle car?
Old 10-13-2011, 04:37 AM   #321
PETRA
My Addiction

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS DropTop
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFreako View Post
..."The term generally refers to 2-door rear wheel drive family-style 4+ passenger mid-size cars (and, by some, full-size cars) equipped with large, powerful, V8s"...
That is Wikipedia's definition, which is a web user based site.

Miriam-Webster Dictionary defines a muscle car as:
"any of a group of American-made 2-door sportscoupes with powerful engines designed for high-performance driving."

So I guess the real questions is does a V6 camaro qualify as having a powerful engine? V8er's will most likely say no, as they find the V6 inferior. V6er's may say yes, cuz they do have power.

Guess its all subject to interpretation
You sound like my wife...at first she was.........but after a few rides in it and seeing me giggle lik a schoolgirl she was more like ............but then when I told her we could get her Vert lowered to match my stance she was like so it all worked out.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:53 AM   #322
IrocJack

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS RJT
Who cares.

Closed Thread

Tags
muscle car, pain is game, rant, v6 muscle, v6 vs. world