Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-01-2017, 09:17 PM   #1
Captslow

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS I4T
Anyone Running a Tune

Been looking into getting a tune. The obvious companies like trifecta and vermont tuning come to mind. Just wanted to hear some of your experiences with these companies and if one is better than the other. Tried to upload a Pic of my car just to see if I'm using this forum right sorry I'm a noob.

Thanks
CaptSlow
Attached Images

Captslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:31 AM   #2
Arka

Drives: 2016 Nightfall grey 2.0 1LT
Trifecta: http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482587
Arka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:41 AM   #3
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
My advice and many will surely agree is go find a Tuning shop in your area a good dyno tune will net you better results and more reliability then a canned tune. HPtuners can be used on our cars I know there's a few out there i'll be getting tuned in april and hopefully making an in-depth video of the process if my tuner approves.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:19 AM   #4
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
I answered your question about VT in the other thread. They are the Playskool of tuning. Trifecta's customer service leaves much to be desired. Buy HP Tuners, find a REPUTABLE tuner. You will outlay slightly more cash, but you will make MORE power.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:37 AM   #5
Adp2017

Drives: 2017 RS Turbo
A little off topic... did you powder coat your rims? they look great! I was thinking about doing the same

331 rwhp , 350 rwtq

ZZP Intercooler | ZZP Catted DP | Magnaflow Catback | Injen CAI | Tuned (BBR) | CNC Honed Turbo (TPC) w 14lb actuator
Adp2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:29 AM   #6
subzero05
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 tbd
ive been looking myself. Mostly for like a piggy back unit or something rather than a flash type tune. I've heard flowmaster is working on something in their delta boost line, but nothing officially out yet
subzero05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:17 AM   #7
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero05 View Post
ive been looking myself. Mostly for like a piggy back unit or something rather than a flash type tune. I've heard flowmaster is working on something in their delta boost line, but nothing officially out yet
Yes, Flowmaster is the name I think of when it comes to engine management... Think about that for a minute. I've looked at their product, and it's nothing more than a signal changer, not a tuner of any sort.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:29 PM   #8
DarkFangz1100

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
No, not yet. For now I'm waiting on the Vitesse Throttle Controller. Basically it's a tune without a tune.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:16 PM   #9
rorymick

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 1LT 2.0L Turbo
If you can get a mechanical mod or two done first. The tune will compliment the mods nicely.

Biggest gain for simple mods would be a Catless downpipe and a tune. I don't think an intake will add much for power. Downpipe and tune is a good route.

Catless downpipe. Muffler delete and midpipe upgrade and a tune is the path I'm headed down. I have a Catless downpipe already.

Not sure who I'll pick for a tune yet but it will be someone who has a Catless downpipe tune and can load a 94 and 91 octane tune into one device.

I'm hoping I'll have 325hp/ 350tq of flywheel power. 50 hp 50 torque gain isn't unreasonable with a tune and a mod or two.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:43 AM   #10
subzero05
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
Yes, Flowmaster is the name I think of when it comes to engine management... Think about that for a minute. I've looked at their product, and it's nothing more than a signal changer, not a tuner of any sort.
is that because you believe that a "tuner" must be the "flash" type to be considered an actual "tuner"? that couldn't be farther from the truth. I'm sure its more than just a signal changer. There are plenty of "piggyback" style boxes out there on the European side of the market and plenty of tuners out there that specialize in this type of tuning and are quite successful. I would suspect much of that "tuning" mentality is migrating over to the domestic market with the turbo offerings now in more and more cars. if its not for you then so be it, but im sure there are some out there who would have interest in products like these
Old 02-08-2017, 11:43 AM   #11
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero05 View Post
is that because you believe that a "tuner" must be the "flash" type to be considered an actual "tuner"? that couldn't be farther from the truth. I'm sure its more than just a signal changer. There are plenty of "piggyback" style boxes out there on the European side of the market and plenty of tuners out there that specialize in this type of tuning and are quite successful. I would suspect much of that "tuning" mentality is migrating over to the domestic market with the turbo offerings now in more and more cars. if its not for you then so be it, but im sure there are some out there who would have interest in products like these
See that's where you're wrong. I have significant depth in Euro/JDM tuning, piggybacks, and altogether different engine management systems. I ran a JB4 on my 08 335i. I've looked at Flowmaster's product for the EBM platform. It has nowhere near the capabilities of a JB4. It's basically doing what the LS1 MAF Translator did nearly 20 years ago. I don't find that to be any sort of advanced engineering.

As I had said before, when I think tuning/piggyback, the name Flowmaster doesn't stick out to me as an innovation leader in that field. Now if we were discussing something from a industry leader like Cobb/Vishnu/JB etc., I could understand some excitement. All Flowmaster has is a reputation for making obnoxiously loud, poor flowing exhausts. Take a search around LS1tech.com and see how many people LOST horsepower going to their catback vs. STOCK!
Old 02-08-2017, 12:18 PM   #12
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
See that's where you're wrong. I have significant depth in Euro/JDM tuning, piggybacks, and altogether different engine management systems. I ran a JB4 on my 08 335i. I've looked at Flowmaster's product for the EBM platform. It has nowhere near the capabilities of a JB4. It's basically doing what the LS1 MAF Translator did nearly 20 years ago. I don't find that to be any sort of advanced engineering.

As I had said before, when I think tuning/piggyback, the name Flowmaster doesn't stick out to me as an innovation leader in that field. Now if we were discussing something from a industry leader like Cobb/Vishnu/JB etc., I could understand some excitement. All Flowmaster has is a reputation for making obnoxiously loud, poor flowing exhausts. Take a search around LS1tech.com and see how many people LOST horsepower going to their catback vs. STOCK!
Would love if Cobb developed a tuner for us LTG guys; have not heard of any planned for us though... Maybe the market is on the small side for them to come play with us?
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:29 PM   #13
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner carver View Post
Would love if Cobb developed a tuner for us LTG guys; have not heard of any planned for us though... Maybe the market is on the small side for them to come play with us?
Or they may not understand that there is a market. Even though the Camaro/ATS/CTS/Regal are selling slow, they still sell a TON of Malibu's! Most people don't realize the LTG is the engine used in a lot of GM's cars currently. You're a very vocal guy, reach out to them and see what they have to say! Worst they can say is no.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:44 AM   #14
subzero05
Account Suspended

Quote:

ah yes the burger boxes for the BMW. I know all too well about their stuff. they make power I'll give them that, but at the expense of constant problem cars out there, going behind the DME and bypassing the CEL every 20 seconds so it doesn't trigger and on and on. Not to mention they had a huge fine by the cal air resources board for these things.

perhaps you forget that Flowmaster is also part of the group that Dinan resides in and I put my money they are the ones behind this. So you want a reputable name that works directly with BMW, then there ya go. it is what it is, you are entitled to your opinion and others are as well. It maybe for some and others not, BUT to bash them with no true and founded evidence to support the claim seems shortsighted. They have been at the forefront of our performance industry for a long time, far longer than most of the companies out there, give them a little respect