Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #141
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
Hope that don't happen to anyone , regarding the big lawyers around you , GM tend to have a little more buying power that you can master , i'm afraid that their lawyers can have your's for lunch .
You are way better if you don't have to fight that battle .
big lawyers can't absolve them from fault in an issue like this
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #142
Donovanl1685

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
6 weeks without my car, no news to report...Gm is a joke.
Donovanl1685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #143
yaniv901

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro 2SS 1LE
Service Power Steering - 2013 Camaro 2SS 1LE

Bought a 2013 Camaro 2SS 1LE in May 2013.

The following happened two days after buying the car. Total miles on the car at this time: 63. Outside temperature at this time was around 75 deg. Fahrenheit. I was parked outside a bank. I came back after a five minute visit to the bank and started the car, couldn't steer. SERVICE POWER STEERING error on screen between the gauges. Called dealer, they said its a safety feature. She said it happened because I forgot to press the clutch and the brake before starting. I've been driving a stick shift since I was 14, never forgot once. Maybe I did forget now. She asked me to lock and unlock the car to make this go away. I was on phone with her for about ten minutes by now. After ten minutes, I did lock and unlock the car, and the error was gone. I was able to steer now.

This happened again after two weeks. Total miles on the Camaro at this time: 109. Outside temperature at this time was around 50 deg. Fahrenheit. The car was parked outside. I came back after a ten minute visit to a shop and steering died on me with same error on screen. Called dealer. They asked me to call road side assistance (1800CHEVUSA). Called road side assistance, they couldn't figure this out. They also said locking and unlocking the car is nowhere in their instructions. I was working with them to get a tow for about 15 minutes and then I tried to start the car again. The error went away and I was able to steer.

Car is at dealer's service shop right now. First conversation on phone, they said they can't find anything wrong but they'll look again.

It was raining with chances of hail in forecast the second time it happened. It has happened to some other buyers here when they were driving. To ensure all such failure(s) are documented, and that I am covered in the event of an accident/damage that is a result of such failure(s), I will install a high quality dash camera ASAP.

Will update when I find out more.
yaniv901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:53 AM   #144
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeecamaro View Post
GM needs to do a major recall on this problem that is obviously well known. I'm a paraplegic that drives a ZL1. The thought of the PS going out and quite possibly causing me to have an accident due to my very limited upper body strength scares me to death.

They (as in GM) better pray this doesn't happen to me. There are all kinds of high dollar lawyers in my area that would love to take on a highly probable lawsuit like this.
dont worry ozzy, mine went out when i first bought the car on way home from dealer. it came back on and has not presented itself again. if it does go out its only hard to steer when the car isnt moving.
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #145
yaniv901

no-Go

The dealer was not able to figure the problem out. The car is back home. As I mentioned before, I will just get a high resolution camera to make sure I am covered legally if something happens. But its not a problem big enough for me to give up the car. Its an a.we.s.o.m.e car.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #146
zl1bro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4me View Post
My wife and I were cruising on some winding roads this afternoon, we were not pushing the car that hard. Then the power steering went out and the light went on with the warning. I was still able to steer the car and drove it to a parking lot near by and turned the car off. Let it sit for a few minutes and it was back working again. What scares me is, I'm planning to take this car to the auto cross with a lot of twists and turns. At a higher rate of speed ( I was doing around 45 when it failed), and the power steering goes out things could get a bit messy. Let's hope they get a solution to this problem before we have some people hurt due to this issue.
This should be a TSB if that many people are having power steering failure. If they've had to redesign a key part because of the problems customers are experiencing then we all should get the new part as opposed to waiting for it to fail on us. In a critical situation such a failure could be deadly.
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #147
KKreme15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1bro View Post
This should be a TSB if that many people are having power steering failure. If they've had to redesign a key part because of the problems customers are experiencing then we all should get the new part as opposed to waiting for it to fail on us. In a critical situation such a failure could be deadly.

This is ridiculous
Old 05-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #148
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1bro View Post
Maybe they should immediately recall ALL of our cars, and give us all brand new ones that will be guarantied to NEVER have ANY kind of failure and will ALWAYS be PERFECT for all eternity.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #149
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
to date...it happened to my car at 560 miles only this one time. It happened the 2nd week I owned the car as my ride home from the dealer was 420 miles. Today it has 7500 miles with many laps at VIR and much spirited driving. There seems to be a pattern emerging here(not that it makes it right)...it happens early in the vehicle's life and most times it happens only once. The steering has been great since this single incident for me.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #150
owhite3003
Z-BEAST

Drives: 2013 JDP ZL-850 Track Spec ZL1,
Nothing like spending good money to have your car fail on you. You would think someone would get right on this issue.
owhite3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #151
zl1bro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
This is a decidedly weird issue. Is it a random occurance? Autocorrecting? Only happening to an extremely small minority? WTF
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #152
KKreme15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Maybe they should immediately recall ALL of our cars, and give us all brand new ones that will be guarantied to NEVER have ANY kind of failure and will ALWAYS be PERFECT for all eternity.
Dont be ridiculous. We just want them to at least acknowledge the problem.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #153
yaniv901

Happened again for the 3rd time

I am at 420 miles right now. It happened again for the third time. I was dropping a friend home. We stepped out of the car and spoke for a few minutes. Got back into car and the annoying "Service Power Steering" error appeared again. I couldn't just wait in her drive-way for 15 minutes, she'd think I was weird. So I called her, stepped in and got myself a beer. Started the car after 15 minutes and the error had gone away.

The dealer couldn't figure it out the last time I took it in and he said "I know its not what you want to hear after spending 40k on a new car, but unfortunately we are unable to find the cause".

This is ridiculous. And its getting really annoying now.

I am trying to remember if there was a pattern. The one thing that was common in all three occurrences was that I did not lock the car. I simply walked away, came back after 5 to 10 minutes, and tried to start the car. Maybe I'll experiment this weekend, and see if I can force the "Power Steering Error" to appear again.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #154
Supersonick

Drives: Camaro ZL1 Inferno Orange
So I called her, stepped in and got myself a beer. Started the car after 15 minutes and the error had gone away.

mmmhhh sound like an excuse to me!

I got the same, toghether with a lot other simptoms..
im my case it was some dirty passt through sealing of front tyre and casue problem to ABS sensor..
at dealer they replace the sensor and seal again better...
no problem since then..
Supersonick is offline   Reply With Quote