Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-10-2015, 10:40 AM   #1
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
What is this noise coming though my steering wheel? *video*

alright, anyone have any idea what this noise is? checked fluid, not low. checked the steering shaft in the engine compartment, doesn't seem to be rubbing anything.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:54 PM   #2
Colton5

Drives: 2015 Manual V6 1LT RS AGM Camaro
Mine does that too!! Not quite as squeaky but definitely an annoying rubbing sound... I always thought it was just the tires on the ground turning and making that noise.....
Colton5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:36 PM   #3
Edzo

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS and 63 Impala
Are you wearing corduroy's?
Edzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:08 AM   #4
Denis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton5 View Post
Mine does that too!! Not quite as squeaky but definitely an annoying rubbing sound... I always thought it was just the tires on the ground turning and making that noise.....
nah, its a new sound for me. doubt its the tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edzo View Post
US Navy NWU's

Last edited by Denis; 08-11-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:27 AM   #5
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
That is the rotary encoder. It senses the steering wheel position that is used by the stabili-track system.

Welcome to te 21st century.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:36 AM   #6
Denis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
That is the rotary encoder. It senses the steering wheel position that is used by the stabili-track system.

Welcome to te 21st century.
why is it only recently that I can hear it? is this something that wears out?
Old 08-11-2015, 02:54 PM   #7
Colton5

Drives: 2015 Manual V6 1LT RS AGM Camaro
Yeah^?
Colton5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:14 PM   #8
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
that sounds extremely annoying, never had that noise on mine or any other car.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:13 PM   #9
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
why is it only recently that I can hear it? is this something that wears out?
No. I have another GM car with 170,000 miles on it. The sound is the same as it was on day one, and there are no problems.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:28 PM   #10
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
My guess would be clock spring/spiral cable for the air bag. Those can make noise if the grease in them gets displaced.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:29 PM   #11
Predator2U

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
alright, anyone have any idea what this noise is? checked fluid, not low. checked the steering shaft in the engine compartment, doesn't seem to be rubbing anything.

That is the best video with clear sound of this problem. Many owners describes it as a "moan", "whale sounds" or a "whine".

My Dealer's Mechanic knew exactly what it was... he says that the Tahoe's have the same problem and has fixed many of them. It is the Steering Rack and mentioned something about a seal drying and causing the problem. It will get worse with time and you will start to feel a slight vibration with the noise. Mine did it for about 25K miles before I finally took it in (just before the 100K extra warranty expired). They replaced the steering rack under warranty and all is good again.

Multiple threads on this same issue with different OP titles.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=steering+rack
Old 08-11-2015, 05:38 PM   #12
Predator2U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edzo View Post
Now that is phunny right there!!!
Old 08-12-2015, 06:54 AM   #13
Denis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
that sounds extremely annoying, never had that noise on mine or any other car.
its very annoying....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
No. I have another GM car with 170,000 miles on it. The sound is the same as it was on day one, and there are no problems.
hmmmm so its nothing to worry about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator2U View Post
That is the best video with clear sound of this problem. Many owners describes it as a "moan", "whale sounds" or a "whine".

My Dealer's Mechanic knew exactly what it was... he says that the Tahoe's have the same problem and has fixed many of them. It is the Steering Rack and mentioned something about a seal drying and causing the problem. It will get worse with time and you will start to feel a slight vibration with the noise. Mine did it for about 25K miles before I finally took it in (just before the 100K extra warranty expired). They replaced the steering rack under warranty and all is good again.

Multiple threads on this same issue with different OP titles.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=steering+rack
well mine is out of warranty and im not getting the whole rack replaced for a little sound haha. its annoying but its not that annoying. is this seal something we can replace on our own?
Old 08-12-2015, 10:14 AM   #14
Predator2U

well mine is out of warranty and im not getting the whole rack replaced for a little sound haha. its annoying but its not that annoying. is this seal something we can replace on our own?[/QUOTE]

Not sure however; I would think not since the Dealer replaced the entire steering rack unit. instead of just the seal It sounds like the bad seal is causing the sealed unit to loose lubricant, but that is just a guess. The cost of the unit was $800 + labor FYI.
One would think that since Chevrolet knew about this problem (being that it surfaced on several vehicle models), that a TSB would be issued.

Kind of like the heater blower motor... Mine started chirping after 20K miles, I waited and had it replaced at 35K miles and now the replacement is doing the same thing. If they (Chevy) knew that a specific vendor has a problem, wouldn't you think that they would find a second source and start purchasing an improved product for the warranty repairs? (instead of replacing it with the same part which will fail again)

Not complaining because I really love my Camaro and wouldn't trade it for anything, just making a logical statement.