Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 08:55 PM   #15
divvichild
Corvette Owner

Drives: '06 MS Corvette Coupe
The V1 goes for like $400. Here's the link https://store.valentine1.com/store/

Its a really good price, since my last ticket cost that much, so after one save, its already paid for itself.

Only thing you have to worry about is laser, which requires a laser jammer (my next investment), too bad it costs like $800
Old 08-24-2008, 09:55 PM   #16
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by divvichild View Post
The V1 goes for like $400. Here's the link https://store.valentine1.com/store/

Its a really good price, since my last ticket cost that much, so after one save, its already paid for itself.

Only thing you have to worry about is laser, which requires a laser jammer (my next investment), too bad it costs like $800
Damn, I thought this radar detector would cover it all. Thats something else I will have to invest in now. Thanks for the link.

Edit: Just checked the link out and it says it detects laser, so why is a laser jammer necessary?
Old 08-25-2008, 12:31 AM   #17
divvichild
Corvette Owner

It detects laser, but the thing is, you would have to be kind of lucky to catch a laser bounce off another car before being largeted yourself.

Radar moves in waves, therefore they scatter and are why radar detectors work. However, a laser is a beam, and therefore does not scatter unless it hits something first.

So you see, detecting laser before it is too late is really hard. Yes, if a cop hits you with laser, the V1 will alert you, but by that time it would be too late.

Be cautious, laser jammers are not legal in all states.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:21 AM   #18
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Radar dectectors are not legal in all states
Old 08-25-2008, 03:39 AM   #19
divvichild
Corvette Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIweldace View Post
Radar dectectors are not legal in all states
They are only illegal in Virginia and washington DC. Everywhere else, they are legal.

I think you may have been thinking of Radar Jammers, which are illegal in ALL states.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:06 PM   #20
ckellyme3

Drives: 1986 IROC 406 stroker
These things are good to have but if your in a new camaro ss and your going 150mph+ the odds are they arent going to try and catch you any way lol. I never got a speeding ticket for over 80mph.

My scheme

Old 08-25-2008, 02:06 PM   #21
divvichild
Corvette Owner

Haha, you don't live in California my friend.

Had a friend who got stopped doing 120 on a motorcycle, they still chased him down. They will have no problem chasing down a car.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:47 PM   #22
rlg3

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro
V1 wireless?

I want a really good one that is wireless any suggestions? Dont want to clutter up the rs/ss. where can you buy a laser jammer? i got hit by the laser last month, my RD caught it but it was to late
Old 08-25-2008, 05:59 PM   #23
divvichild
Corvette Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlg3 View Post
I want a really good one that is wireless any suggestions? Dont want to clutter up the rs/ss. where can you buy a laser jammer? i got hit by the laser last month, my RD caught it but it was to late
The Valentine 1 isnt a Jammer, it is a detector. It can be purchased from https://store.valentine1.com/store/. As far as I know, the best dectectors are not wireless because they would draw too much power to use batteries. Cluttering shouldnt be a problem though, since we have been assured that the Camaro will have onstar, which means that there is a power source right about the RVM. Many people have used this method in other GM vehicles successfully, and it looks really clean.

Another popular method used it just running the power cord in gap between the top of the windsheild and the roof. The one's that i have seen look really clean, just like the hardwire above the mirror.

Examples:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=29
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30100

A great site is Guys of Lidar

Last edited by divvichild; 08-26-2008 at 02:43 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:05 PM   #24
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
They are only illegal in Virginia and washington DC. Everywhere else, they are legal.

I think you may have been thinking of Radar Jammers, which are illegal in ALL states.
Exactly radar/laser detectors are legal in most all states....

Jammers (at least) in Florida go straight to Federal Courts, and you have no idea what court fines are until you get tried in a Federal Court. Radar detectors are fine...I have no problem with them, but when you start using jammers as far as I am concerned you don't need to be driving on the same roadway with innocent families, and its pretty pathetic...take it to a track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckellyme3 View Post
These things are good to have but if your in a new camaro ss and your going 150mph+ the odds are they arent going to try and catch you any way lol. I never got a speeding ticket for over 80mph.
Are you kidding? thats a big fish and a big catch. I work the interstate and I don't stop vehicles until they do 40 over which is 95 in Florida because its a mandatory chat session with a judge. Everyone and their grand mothers do 80 on the interstate, so if you are doing 150 you are going to have every trooper within a 20 mile radius hauling to your location to be the one to write that ticket. My fastest is 147 and you better believe I was doing every bit of 140 trying to catch him and I went into another county trying to catch up...thank God for upgraded suspension and tires.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:14 PM   #25
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
It detects laser, but the thing is, you would have to be kind of lucky to catch a laser bounce off another car before being largeted yourself.

Radar moves in waves, therefore they scatter and are why radar detectors work. However, a laser is a beam, and therefore does not scatter unless it hits something first.

So you see, detecting laser before it is too late is really hard. Yes, if a cop hits you with laser, the V1 will alert you, but by that time it would be too late.

Be cautious, laser jammers are not legal in all states.
Thats lame. :(

However, I will invest that money into a jammer to avoid tickets.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:28 PM   #26
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA FAST View Post
Thats lame. :(

However, I will invest that money into a jammer to avoid tickets.
Why? Why spend money at all?

A detector I can understand...you don't want to get caught; but it still requires you to use some good-ole common sense and slow down when there's an officer around.

But blowing money on a jammer that in some cases can do significantly more harm than good (think big-ass fines), just to be able to fly down the interstate at rediculous speeds (which imo, is stupid--take it to the track)...just doesn't click with me. It's another instance of trying to "beat the system" that seems backwards to me: Just slow down!
Old 08-25-2008, 10:34 PM   #27
divvichild
Corvette Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
Radar detectors are fine...I have no problem with them, but when you start using jammers as far as I am concerned you don't need to be driving on the same roadway with innocent families, and its pretty pathetic...take it to a track.
I don't in any way condone speeding, but we all do it. Especially here in California, which is exactly like you mention in Florida, everyone drives above the speed limit. However, when driving a sports car, you are definitely more scrutinized then other motorists, and will be targeted first. Anyway, once you get hit with laser, if you employ the technique correctly, you slow down anyway, and the officer has accomplished his objective, to make the world a safer place.

An officer can write you a ticket for doing 4 over the speed limit. Its not unusual for Leos to sit on the side of the freeway near the end of the month and just pull over random vehicles for speeding even though they were just going with the flow of traffic, nothing faster.

I live in California where jammers are illegal, so I'm in no way partial to using them. Just offering information to others.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:39 PM   #28
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Why? Why spend money at all?

A detector I can condone...in fact, I admire: You still have to use good-ole common sense and slow down.

But blowing money on a jammer that in some cases can do significantly more harm than good, just to be able to fly down the interstate at rediculous speeds (which imo, is stupid -- take it to the track)...just doesn't click with me. It's another instance of trying to "beat the system" that seems backwards to me: Just slow down!
It's simple, I rather take a match to my paycheck then pay for a ticket. It's stupid, but thats how I feel. I hate State Troopers and I hate traffic cops, if I had to spend $5,000 to be insured that they never get their hands on my money I would. Not to mention if I get a ticket in Pennsylvania it's points on my license.

I like to drive fast, but I am afraid to do more than 75 MPH because of these cops, especially since I am in my 20's the cops are out to bust my ass. I just want to do between 80-100 MPH (When the weather and traffic permit) without worry. If I want to go faster I will take it to the track. The detector would be fine for me but like divvichild said, once you detect the laser it's too late. This is why a Jammer is necessary.

Closed Thread