Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-24-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Accesory Subwoofer?

So what has been learned about this accessory? Is the car prewired for it already if you have the BA system? Is it a powered inclosure? I'm not really big on the speakers shown in the display but I'm open to change.

What do ya' know?

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:27 PM   #2
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
From the pic showed, they have pictured dual MTX subwoofers. Obviously we now know that these pics, aren't accurate in any way. Seeing how it shows a cat-back exhaust with only one pipe vs the true duals both the V6 & V8 will have.

I imagine it'll be similar for the Camaro how it is for other GM cars that currently come available with a subwoofer system. My Cobalt SS Supercharged came with a 10" Pioneer that is attached to the sidewall in the trunk just aft of the rear tire well. It's already pre-wired into the stock head unit.

I imagine seeing that Boston Acoustics will be the equipped speaker system that the Camaro is getting, it'll probably be one of their subwoofers. (maybe not.)

Obviously aftermarket will give you way better sound but re-wiring especially if you get a new head unit will most likely be required.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Drives: 1985 z28
i'll be gettin an aftermarket reversed-setup sub system, one ine one out. at least i want to
make my own box if i have ta!

"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:08 PM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Hmm... good points. I was never much of an MTX-guy so I'd be willing to bet it would be a BA set-up. That box seemed a little much so maybe it's going to be more integrated into the trunk as you've suggested. Hmm...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 09-24-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I'm all for it if it is properly integrated into the trunk. Otherwise, I may be getting a really good single box and tossing that in the trunk.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

See - that's why I was a little perplexed as to why it was such a large box. I noticed the catback didn't seem to be correct but didn't really figure it could be the same for the subwoofer.

What price would you pay for a subwoofer? Please keep in mind I really doubt it's going to have like 500 watts or something but what do you think is a worth-while set-up and how much would you pay?

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 09-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #7
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
A little info some one asked john cox about the sub box while i was nearby and he said that the subwoofers will be MTX brand, BA was given the chance to bid that into thier initial system but passed on the subwoofers. That was untill they found out that MTX had bid on a system and that they would produce the addon subwoofer. So the actual subwoofers will be MTX's but the enclosure may change or be completely different.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:45 PM   #8
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Yeah, even if MTX does have the contract, I'm sure they aren't going to just put let's say 2 12"s in a box and throw it in the trunk....

They may put them on each side of the trunk walls. If they offer a dual subwoofer system. It might just my a single sub. Who knows?
Old 09-24-2008, 08:13 PM   #9
Bumble Bee '77
AutoBot Scout

Drives: 2002 ZRS Camaro
having worked in the car audio field MTX is garbage, they pound but not for long the suspension wears out fast in them. For serious poundage go with Orion or JL. at least in my opinion those are two of the better brands. though i definatly prefer Orion to anything.

My sub setup will be the Orion 1200w 12's with 2 1200w amps and stick the subs in front of the rear lights pointed in at a slight angle. and dynamat. lots and lots of dynamat
Bumble Bee '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:43 AM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

I've only had Cerwin Vegas and have a set of VS150s for my home, and those pound like my ears owe them money. They have long suspensions and can go for days. Shoot, they're about 15 years old now...

I'm sure whatever they use will be good

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 09-25-2008, 02:38 PM   #11
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
Well I have a subwoofer in the basement that used to be in our old Ford Van (dad bought it not me) and was the only part of the sound system in that that wasn't knicked because it was to big and heavy, lol. It packs a hell of a punch though so I'll probably throw that in the complement the BA system.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:51 PM   #12
Mblock66

Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
Im not too worried about bass. With how loud my exhaust will be it isn't going to be even worth trying to listen to the radio
Mblock66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:44 PM   #13
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Drives: 1985 z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblock66 View Post
Im not too worried about bass. With how loud my exhaust will be it isn't going to be even worth trying to listen to the radio
dayum what mods are u plannin on doin and how loud WILL it be???

im thinking of getting JL subs to enhance my music, but i also want the cat back getup. i want to be able to hear an enhanced sound when im not listening to the Camaro purr on cat back exhaust...

"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:45 AM   #14
Mblock66

Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
Well I am not a fan of aftermarket radio stuff and subs anyway. I put a JL (stealthbox or whatever they were called) in my 1997 camaro. It was cool since it didn't take any space away and I was 20 years old then, but with the radios today I can't see why you would need it louder or clearer. Believe me I am a music freak too, been playing guitar for 17 years so I am really into it. I guess b/c I am a hard rock/metal/death metal fan i don't see the need for a sub. Thats for you techno and rap people

I had a flowmaster American Thunder cat back on my 1997 and it was pure sex. Loud but sooooo sweet. This car I would do LG LongtubeHeaders with maybe no cats and a flowmaster! You won't be able to think it will be so much rumble!

I used to set off car alarms with my 1997 with the Flows.....that was with no headers lol
Mblock66 is offline   Reply With Quote