Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-16-2015, 08:32 PM   #1
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Wish Me Luck - Fishing Tournament

Hey all,

I landed a spot on a great boat with a great Captain for the 2015 Newburyport Shark and Tuna fishing tournament!!!

http://www.newburyportsharkandtunatournament.com/

We rock and roll midnight this coming Friday morning. 2 full days of working for fish. Let's hope we get a Mako or Thresher and hope we can locate a few bluefin and come home winners. If not, it's going to be an adventure.

If I don't post by Monday, it's likely I was eaten by a shark, so that sucks.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:34 PM   #2
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Good luck my camaro in arms brother!
Old 08-17-2015, 05:40 PM   #3
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Good luck! We want to hear a good fish story when you get back. Hope you win it.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:16 PM   #4
Muscle Car Lover

Thanks guys!!! Weather looks good to go, I am ready!
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Old 08-20-2015, 04:48 PM   #5
Muscle Car Lover

Will be at the dock tomorrow at 4am, sharking exclusively tomorrow. Oh man!

Old 08-20-2015, 07:59 PM   #6
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Good luck man!
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:48 PM   #7
Muscle Car Lover

Well it was an unbelievable time in the fishing tournament. Along with Capt Chris and his two best friends we set out at 5am from the dock Friday morning. It was misting out, windy, and very foggy. Steaming out to the spots Chris had in mind, the sea was pretty rough and I was glad I had bought waterproof clothing, wow that was handy. By 7am or so we had lines in the water and it was non stop shark action for about 5 hours, often more than a fish an hour. Things slowed from around 1pm to 3pm then picked back up with a vengeance. 15 blue sharks caught and taken to the boat by 6pm. We finally made it to the dock around 7pm or so.
The bad news is I was a walking wounded mess. I hurt my thumb pretty bad last week at work, and I thought I gave it enough time to heal up, but by mid day the pain was mind splitting. After reeling and fighting on maybe 8 fish, my left forearm cramped up and was stuck in bent position. I mean, it was messed up. I had to decline the trip on day 2, just no way I could really help out and it was until mid day Saturday that I got my left arm to extend even a little bit. Next time I will be a bit better prepared, but I am an old man!
All my thanks to Captain Chris, it was one of the best things I have ever done and I had fun. I wish I did not break down like I did. The team I was on landed another 17 sharks Saturday to take home 2nd place in the catch and release portion of the tournament. Here are some pictures of the day. I am still all beat up, but cannot help but smile.
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2015, 05:50 PM   #8
Muscle Car Lover

A few other pics:
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2015, 06:04 PM   #9
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Congrats! Man that looks like a lot of fun! I wish I could do something like that.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:06 PM   #10
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Awesome! Gassed guns from flopping in fish is exactly where ya want to be!
Old 08-23-2015, 06:25 PM   #11
Muscle Car Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs2lt View Post
Awesome! Gassed guns from flopping in fish is exactly where ya want to be!
The problem is my "guns" are of the pellet kind LOL!

Old 08-23-2015, 08:36 PM   #12
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Awesome job!

How do they enforce catch and release? Obviously photos are used, but couldn't you take 10 different pictures of the same fish and say you caught 10 fish?
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:12 AM   #13
okbfd
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Shelby GT500
Congrats! That looks like a bunch of fun, nice pics. Sadly I am a freshwater kinda guy. Every time I try the ocean it's chumming time for me with projectile hurling :(
okbfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:21 PM   #14
Muscle Car Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post
Awesome job!

How do they enforce catch and release? Obviously photos are used, but couldn't you take 10 different pictures of the same fish and say you caught 10 fish?
Its an honor system. It was mostly local guys that know each other so some pressure not to be a baloney artist. We had pics of each fish near the dorsal fin (usually somewhat unique) so we were fine. Team that beat us by 5 we know and doubt very much they were lying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okbfd View Post
Congrats! That looks like a bunch of fun, nice pics. Sadly I am a freshwater kinda guy. Every time I try the ocean it's chumming time for me with projectile hurling :(
I am mainly a freshwater guy, but last 5 years up here have really sucked, its all fished out, so I have been making my way to saltwater fishing.