Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 11-09-2008, 01:23 PM   #29
Albion

Drives: IOM 1ss
Many thanks,thats a yes then.
Since this will be our first Yank i'm on a massive learning curve.Got plenty more novice questions where that one came from.
Albion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:43 PM   #30
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTORY RED 1SS View Post
The Hurst shifter is great for all drivers, male or female. there is no appreciable extra effort to operate the shifter, the distance you have to move the shifter to change gears is reduced, making for quicker gear changes. I had the Hurst shifter on my 02 SS and it worked flawlessly.
I agree that the Hurst would be great for all drivers - the effort would not be so great that only a strong guy could move it.

However, I'm not sure how you know that there will be no appreciable extra effort to shift with a Hurst short-throw. I have a Hurst short-throw on my 2005 Mustang GT, and it is probably twice as much effort as the stock shifter. It's borderline too much effort. Even after two years of use and being totally broken in, it's still not easy. I love it for the precision feel and total lack of slop, but wish it were a bit less effort. That said, it is unquestionably miles ahead of the stock shifter, which is rubbery in comparison.

I had a 1971 Olds 4-4-2 with a factory Hurst, and that thing was like butter. But it was no short-throw shifter - it was a long handle with plenty of leverage, and even on the Muncie M22 "rock crusher" tranny, you could shift it with your pinky.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:02 AM   #31
hdhomer

Drives: 69 Cutlass - small block
Come on guys! If any of you have any DIY skills buy your shifter of choice and install it yourself. There is nothing better than getting to know your new machine by doing some of these simple upgrades yourself. A shifter install on a modern tranny is easy. Not only do you feel like a manly man after it's done, you'll probably save $175.
hdhomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:11 AM   #32
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Shifters are pretty easy to install. Biggest issue is not getting grease on the interrior of you car...
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:12 AM   #33
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
My only concern with a brand new car would be does my installing it do anything to my warranty.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:17 AM   #34
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Oh no...

Here we go...

Anything you do will potentially void the warranty. Assuming you have a POS stealership that is looking for an excuse not to fix your car. The burden of proof is on them. So, yes, if you manage to botch the install of the shifter. Lets say you drop a screw or something down into the tranny while installing the shifter. And your tranny bites it. If the dealer ship can prove that you caused it by being careless. They won't fix it.

If its piece of mind that's most important to you then let the dealers do it.

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:25 AM   #35
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
Oh no...

Here we go...

Anything you do will potentially void the warranty. Assuming you have a POS stealership that is looking for an excuse not to fix your car. The burden of proof is on them. So, yes, if you manage to botch the install of the shifter. Lets say you drop a screw or something down into the tranny while installing the shifter. And your tranny bites it. If the dealer ship can prove that you caused it by being careless. They won't fix it.

I hear you. I was just stating what I would expect would be a big concern for many. I agree that if you have a good relationship with your dealer this probably isn't an issue. But these days, how many people have that kind of relationship?
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:27 PM   #36
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
Oh no...

Here we go...

Exactly - the burden of proof is on them, and federal law protects the consumer with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. It is generally interpreted as saying that you can make any mod you want, and as long as the dealership or auto maker can't prove that your mod caused damage requiring warranty work, then they must fix the problem without cost to you for the length of the warranty period. Here's a detailed explanation from Superchips.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:47 AM   #37
VICTORY RED 1SS
booyaah

Drives: VICTORY RED 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
I agree that the Hurst would be great for all drivers - the effort would not be so great that only a strong guy could move it.* However, I'm not sure how you know that there will be no appreciable extra effort to shift with a Hurst short-throw.* I have a Hurst short-throw on my 2005 Mustang GT, and it is probably twice as much effort as the stock shifter.* It's borderline too much effort.* Even after two years of use and being totally broken in, it's still not easy.* I love it for the precision feel and total lack of slop, but wish it were a bit less effort.* That said, it is unquestionably miles ahead of the stock shifter, which is rubbery in comparison.I had a 1971 Olds 4-4-2 with a factory Hurst, and that thing was like butter.* But it was no short-throw shifter - it was a long handle with plenty of leverage, and even on the Muncie M22 "rock crusher" tranny, you could shift it with your pinky.
I also had a 2002 Z-28 and it had the regular shifter. I added an aftermarket Hurst to it myself. I noticed no appreciable difference in strength or effort to shift. There may be some difference, but it wasn't much is all I was saying(imho).
VICTORY RED 1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:03 AM   #38
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
Any time you shorten the throw you increase the amount of force needed to make the shift, it's simple leverage. This is one of those parts you should all buy and DIY though, SSK's are an easy install.

And now, it's time to hand the short-throw SS Camaro over to our tamed racing driver. Some say his opinions are swayed by the 'people's popular political party' party. All's we know is, we call him "The Camaro5 Stig."

Here we go!! <non existent video clip to follow>