Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-12-2019, 05:18 PM   #1
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Dealer Did Not Want My Car Today

I took my 2015 ZL1 to a chevy dealer today to try and trade it and got told they did not want it. I ask them why and they said because it sold new in Canada. I ask what difference does that make? They again told me they did not want it and they do not buy any cars that sold in Canada. Is there something I do not know about cars coming from there? If so would someone educate me on this. Hell they were built there so I just do not see any reason why a chevy dealer would not want it?
By the way if your wondering what I was trying to trade for it was a 2019 Hellcat. The salesman told me they did not like hi performance cars so maybe that was it?

Last edited by Bigtime53; 11-12-2019 at 05:23 PM. Reason: add
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:27 PM   #2
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Just go to another dealer. Problem solved. They obviously didn't want your money.
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:55 PM   #3
Bigtime53

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8One2 View Post
Just go to another dealer. Problem solved. They obviously didn't want your money.
LOL I guess. I have a nephew who works there and he has told me several times they did not like cars that were hi performance. They are a dodge dealer to and this hellcat was a trade in for a new truck. I suppose they have that hellcat now and they can put it where the sun don't shine!
Old 11-12-2019, 08:56 PM   #4
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
they didn't want you to downgrade
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:19 PM   #5
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Perhaps there was more to their not wanting to deal with it then a disdain for used performance cars.

http://www.cata.info/take_proper_ste...cle_trade-ins/
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:11 PM   #6
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
That was informative.

A grey market car that could be siezed with no payment by a Canadian Bank or Customs at any moment. Who wouldn't want that?

Reminds me of watching cops and the guy says "I just bought it from a guy I don't know for $100, I had no idea it was stolen". Especially when it has no keys and broken ignition and door locks.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:48 AM   #7
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
There is a whole process of EPA and DOT forms that need to be completed to actually permanently import a vehicle from Canada. If it wasn't imported correctly, no dealer is going to want to touch it. Penalties against a dealer for not following importing laws are not anything they want to risk.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:29 PM   #8
Reichler

Drives: 2004 GTO & 2005 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
There is a whole process of EPA and DOT forms that need to be completed to actually permanently import a vehicle from Canada. If it wasn't imported correctly, no dealer is going to want to touch it. Penalties against a dealer for not following importing laws are not anything they want to risk.

Exactly. No dealer is going to want to risk getting their hands on a grey market car.
Reichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:46 PM   #9
Bigtime53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
I bought the car from a dealer and went by their word when they told me the car had a clean car fax. So today I ran a car fax on it and it shows that all the paper work was done to properly import here. EPA reports included. So I would think all is good on that part. At this point I will not go back to that dealer and I really didn't want that fat hellcat anyway.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:02 PM   #10
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
No one drives a ZL1 once a week to church and back. Only a fool buys a used ZL1. You think a dealership wants the trouble if unloading it? They’d have to lower the price to ridiculous amount to attract the right sucker. That Canada excuse was probably code for what you said about hi performance cars....
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:32 PM   #11
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
I bought the car from a dealer and went by their word when they told me the car had a clean car fax. So today I ran a car fax on it and it shows that all the paper work was done to properly import here. EPA reports included. So I would think all is good on that part. At this point I will not go back to that dealer and I really didn't want that fat hellcat anyway.
Really hard to say, perhaps it was the lack of actual paperwork? Though, I imagine if being an import was the issue, they would've said so. Did they just say no, we don't want it, or did they just not give you the number you were looking for?

Your car isn't modded in any way is it?

We take in this kind of stuff all the time, though, we haven't come across cars that were originally sold in other countries. But again, if we refuse a trade, we are very clear about why.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:47 PM   #12
Bigtime53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
No one drives a ZL1 once a week to church and back. Only a fool buys a used ZL1. You think a dealership wants the trouble if unloading it? They’d have to lower the price to ridiculous amount to attract the right sucker. That Canada excuse was probably code for what you said about hi performance cars....

What? Only a fool buys a used ZL1? I think your going to piss a bunch of people off here saying that.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:52 PM   #13
Bigtime53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Really hard to say, perhaps it was the lack of actual paperwork? Though, I imagine if being an import was the issue, they would've said so. Did they just say no, we don't want it, or did they just not give you the number you were looking for?

Your car isn't modded in any way is it?

We take in this kind of stuff all the time, though, we haven't come across cars that were originally sold in other countries. But again, if we refuse a trade, we are very clear about why.
No numbers were ever discussed. They ran a car fax on it and came and told me they did not want the car. I ask why and they said this exactly "because the car was sold new in canada". I ask him why does that make a difference. He said they will not buy cars that were sold in canada. He turned and walked off. That is what happened. Like I say I will not go back to that dealer.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:02 PM   #14
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
What? Only a fool buys a used ZL1? I think your going to piss a bunch of people off here saying that.
They should be pissed. The risk vs reward of buying a super car daily driver that someone’s possibly redlined every other weekend at the local track then traded it in for the next greatest super car. Foolish indeed.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote