Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-22-2014, 10:08 PM   #85
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Ok, 8 months later(full winder in between), the moment of truth.
I picked the car up yesterday from the GM dealer. Here was their verdict concerning the oil in can issue. They were no willing to replace the valley cover because...... I'll allow your to read it for yourselves.

Awaiting your feedback please.

Last edited by Camaro Dude; 05-18-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:09 PM   #86
Camaro Dude

5 more pages..

Last edited by Camaro Dude; 05-18-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:45 AM   #87
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Camaro Dude, have you moved the line from the valley cover to the rear of the driver's side valve cover? if so, was there a difference in the amount of oil in the catch can?

when i switched ports, the volume of oil in my catch can went way down. that's how i convinced myself the problem was the valley cover (actually, ported vent underneath)

truthfully, rerouting the line is easy and does not make any difference to the engine. secondly, as long as you are catching the oil and making sure that the crankcase is not more than a quart low.........the volume collected in the catch can doesn't really matter.
i did not want the longer hose across the top of my engine, so i changed the valley cover.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:59 AM   #88
camaro500

Drives: 2017 Jaguar F Type R Tuned 498awhp
I think the PVC system on your car is defective. There is no way your intake manifold should be taking in that much oil. Imagine running like that without a catch can... I would call chev dealers and speak to the service department until one of them will do the work. Slip the guy a $100 if needed.
camaro500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:08 PM   #89
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro500 View Post
I think the PVC system on your car is defective. There is no way your intake manifold should be taking in that much oil. Imagine running like that without a catch can... I would call chev dealers and speak to the service department until one of them will do the work. Slip the guy a $100 if needed.
After I try the above process of elimination step that was mentioned by re routing the hose, I may try one last dealer, as reluctant as I am to go now. It is under new car warranty still after all.

Yeah, the idea of no catch can makes me CRINGE! Imagine had I not proactively installed one, no one including myself would know anything, until 20000km later, when the engine would be gunked up and in dire need of an internal cleaning with chemical solution.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #90
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by h018871 View Post
Camaro Dude, have you moved the line from the valley cover to the rear of the driver's side valve cover? if so, was there a difference in the amount of oil in the catch can?

when i switched ports, the volume of oil in my catch can went way down. that's how i convinced myself the problem was the valley cover (actually, ported vent underneath)

truthfully, rerouting the line is easy and does not make any difference to the engine. secondly, as long as you are catching the oil and making sure that the crankcase is not more than a quart low.........the volume collected in the catch can doesn't really matter.
i did not want the longer hose across the top of my engine, so i changed the valley cover.
I do feel better now with what you wrote.

No I haven't tried this yet, but you have convinced me to do so!
I'll report back with my findings.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:18 PM   #91
Camaro Dude

I forgot to update this.

I ended up replacing the valley cover when I did the cam swap.

Now I'm collecting 1 teaspoon of oil in the Elite can every 500km, if I drive really hard that is, as opposed to the half a cup I was collecting before, by that mileage interval.

I'm extremely happy to say the least!

Now I just need to figure out a way, to convince GM (through a dealer who will listen), to reimburse me for the valley cover retail price. I think that is fair???

This is proof in the pudding that some valley covers are indeed defective.

Perhaps Chevrolet Customer Care can step up to the plate here if they read this?
Old 06-19-2015, 12:27 PM   #92
1sick_eg

Drives: 14 Camaro 1LE,328i, and some Hondas
I didn't read through this thread to see if it was mentioned, but are a lot of you having issues doing a lot of engine braking? (downshifting to slow down) Try cutting back on that and report back on your oil consumption. I guarantee it will be significantly less.
1sick_eg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:00 PM   #93
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sick_eg View Post
I didn't read through this thread to see if it was mentioned, but are a lot of you having issues doing a lot of engine braking? (downshifting to slow down) Try cutting back on that and report back on your oil consumption. I guarantee it will be significantly less.
It is a bit less, but I can tell you that I tried everything driving style wise....it was insignificant really. By that I mean, when your catch can is FULL to the brim by 2500km(not miles!!), whether you can reduce it to half a can by changing driving style, really doesn't matter by that point if you can catch my drift.

It was totally unacceptable what I went through, I almost felt like selling the car at one point, before I thought it through, and realized no damage was being done because I had a catch can, lol. My TB and intake were still squeaky clean, you could lick off it still.

Imagine though if I didn't have a can

GM needs to step up to the plate, notify their dealer network of a solid TSB, or even a recall.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:10 PM   #94
seven

Drives: 2015 Camaro RS 2LT AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
That's an excessive amount of oil. I drive my car very hard and I have never been anywhere near that. Something is wrong IMO. How did you break the car in? That has a lot to do with blowby, but either way that seems too much at 1600 miles.

Here is mine at 1700 miles (just ran out and took these)

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Me too this is the amount I got.
2015 RS Camaro 2LT with Sunroof, Performance Exhaust, Ground Effects, Tinted Windows, LED Fog Lights(DD), CAI Cold Air Intake, Ghosted Side Markers(Showstopper), Elite Catch Can, Xpel & SunTek PPF, Replica Z28 High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 Replica Wheels(Satin Black Factory Reproductions)
seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:42 PM   #95
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven View Post
Me too this is the amount I got.
That is about what I get at 1500 miles.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:23 PM   #96
Camarotobeornottobe

Drives: 1LE
Camaro Dude, how many ounces was that in your original post? Maybe 4 or 6?

While everyone wants to see little or no oil consumption, I get it. But, I'm not convinced you ever had a "problem." Think about it, GM is saying 1 qt (32 oz) in 2000 miles -- and that is if not driven hard and after the engine is sufficiently broken in.

So, you collected no more than a 1/4 qt (8 oz) in 1500 miles while running hard on a new engine, no? Unless you had to add 2 qts of oil in that time, i.e. you were losing oil via other routes than just the catch can, I'm not sure it was ever a real concern. You just need to empty your catch can more
Camarotobeornottobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:24 AM   #97
camaro500

Drives: 2017 Jaguar F Type R Tuned 498awhp
I can speak for Camarodude because we are friends and I told him to change his valley cover.
He changed it this spring and now the catch can is pretty much empty after hundreds of miles driven.
Problem fixed. It was a faulty baffle in the Valley Cover.
camaro500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:04 PM   #98
gnturboray

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS LS3 LPE750
My catch can was filling up quickly and discovered that it was my aftermarket Holley valve covers causing the issue.

Last edited by gnturboray; 06-20-2015 at 05:04 PM.
gnturboray is offline   Reply With Quote