Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-18-2021, 10:30 PM   #1
Mlgprodriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
5th gen Camaro OIL PUMP

Okay doing a lot of work here and want to sum up some information.
I will post a link to the video in this thread. Does this look like a properly installed oil pump? I’m going to run this melling oil pump and I seem to see a small hair line crack with the mating surface of the pump and pick up tube? Is this okay? Or am I In trouble?

Link to video: https://m.youtube.com/shorts/TKi8J5RRK-g?feature=share
Mlgprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:44 PM   #2
wasthatacop?

Drives: 2010 2SS
Hard to see the crack in the video. I think it's fine. How would it get cracked?
Last thing you want is aeration in the oil, froth. I took out my oil pump last summer so I'm familiar with the setup.
Was your pressure around 30 psi at idle before you started the tear down?
ZL1 factory rims
misc: drilled and slotted rotors, fresh air brake cooling system, new speakers, installed reverse camera, muffler delete
wasthatacop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 11:42 PM   #3
Mlgprodriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasthatacop? View Post
Hard to see the crack in the video. I think it's fine. How would it get cracked?
Last thing you want is aeration in the oil, froth. I took out my oil pump last summer so I'm familiar with the setup.
Was your pressure around 30 psi at idle before you started the tear down?
So if you look in the video. Maybe it’s just me, but after I bolted the oil pump back. It seems like there is a small hair line crack between the pickup tube flange and the melling oil pump. Worked on many engines in the past and haven’t ever really seen anything like that? I’m assuming it’s an LS thing and it’s fine? At least I hope lol!
Old 07-19-2021, 12:45 AM   #4
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I could see it. And I don't know if I would chance it or not. If it was up to me I would get a new pump just to be safe.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:46 AM   #5
Mlgprodriver

So after chatting with a buddy of mine that works for Chevy... Turns out it’s pretty normal, he did explain with higher pressure I could add a brace as added protection. He explained summit racing sales them? Any idea what it’s named/branded as? Thank everyone.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:59 AM   #6
morepowerjoe

Here's a couple.
https://www.amazon.com/Pump-Girdle-P...a-819528924375

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16395255490...4aAn4sEALw_wcB
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Old 07-19-2021, 09:59 AM   #7
Car Nation Videos
YouTube-Car Nation Videos

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro
That’s perfectly normal in my opinion.
Car Nation Videos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 10:35 AM   #8
morepowerjoe

I've went through 1 stock oil pump 3 melling oil pumps so far. And not one of them had a crack. If it did I would have sent that damn thing back and got a new one. To each his own.

Old 07-19-2021, 12:35 PM   #9
Mlgprodriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
I've went through 1 stock oil pump 3 melling oil pumps so far. And not one of them had a crack. If it did I would have sent that damn thing back and got a new one. To each his own.
It’s not a defect, the melling pump is perfectly fine. The issue is more so with the pick up tube flange mounting to the surface of the melling oil pump. There is a very very small (finger nail width) gap between the pick up flange and the oil pump. From what I understand it’s normal and it’s perfectly fine. However they sale braces to fix the issue. It’s so small you barely notice it any. The seal is perfectly fine. The flange kinda offsets since there is only a bolt on once side. No biggie.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:42 PM   #10
morepowerjoe

Oh ok. I thought you were referring to an actual crack in the pump housing. Then yes a brace would definitely fix that like one of the ones I posted earlier. I didn't need one because when I take my pumps off I have the oil pan off so I can actually get the second bolt on the pick up tube.

Old 07-19-2021, 01:17 PM   #11
1LE_ROLL

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE
I did not like the fingernail-ish sized gap on mine so I took the gears out of the pump and was able to get the pickup tube completely flush from the inside. They don’t fit together perfectly, especially with the pickup tube mounted already. Worked for me
Old 07-19-2021, 02:42 PM   #12
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
I have one of the oil pump pickup tube 'girdles', or brackets. Works well and helps to put a more even pressure on the pickup tube mounting surface. I'm not sure why GM has 2 threaded bolt holes in the OEM pumps but only used a pickup tube with one bolt provision.

Getting a good seal from the pickup tube O-Ring is crucial, so hopefully this will help you.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:52 PM   #13
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
I have one of the oil pump pickup tube 'girdles', or brackets. Works well and helps to put a more even pressure on the pickup tube mounting surface. I'm not sure why GM has 2 threaded bolt holes in the OEM pumps but only used a pickup tube with one bolt provision.

Getting a good seal from the pickup tube O-Ring is crucial, so hopefully this will help you.
My pick up tube actually has to provisions for bolts. But it doesn't matter if you don't have the pan off because I don't think that you can reach it with the pan only dropped a few inches. I did the crossmember mod from I think CFD so I just take the crossmember out then drop the pan off and unbolt the rack n pinion and push it forward. Once you have the pan off you can just barely get a 1/4" racket with a 10mm socket on the 2nd bolt and tighten it up

Old 07-19-2021, 04:37 PM   #14
Mouse330

Drives: 2011 2SS, 2006 GMC Sierra
If the pick up tube flange and the oil pump are not totally flat to each other start over. Don't force it you could nick the o ring and suck air. The threaded boss for the secondary brace is to the left and higher up. Easy to put on
Mouse330 is offline   Reply With Quote