Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 12-29-2009, 01:40 AM   #57
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogg149 View Post
Details coming soon I promise. MTI racing just came out with a new vent as well that replaces the oil fill cap. Cheap too check them out.

http://mtiracing.com/purchase/2010-c...-breather.htmlhttp://http://mtiracing.com/purchase...-breather.html
Check with vengeance racing, they sell these too...not sure how much they charge...although I'm sure it's cheaper than $80...

you can see mine in this pic (and the catch can too)
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:29 AM   #58
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedak View Post
BP CC's are machined billet pieces.

They aren't cheap, but they are well made.
They could be made of titanium and it wouldn't make one bit of difference over a plastic one. The link I posted was billet aluminum as well. Just trying to figure out why someone would spend almost twice as much for one of theirs. I guess for the G8, it was made to go in a certain place and clear stuff but that still seems somewhat excessive.

I have no doubt that's is very well made but in the end, it's still just a billet can that seperates the oil from the air.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:44 AM   #59
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
You guys can't run breathers on emission controled vehicles.. you won't pass any kind of inspection the oil vapor is not supposed to get into the atmosphere, not to mention the mess it will make under your hood when it starts to get soaked in oil.... any oil catch can will work this is not all that complicated, i decided to stick with my 20 buck investment at home depot/napa, but if you want bling that is fine to they all work the same "trap oil" wait till you see the nasty smelly fuel/vapor/oil stuff that ends up in that can as oppsed to burnt to the side of your intake runners and lowering your octane rating by burning oil.
fdjizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:22 AM   #60
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Wow...Elite Engineering has a nice one!

I had one on my last supercharged car...I plan to install one on this one too...peice of mind if nothing else!
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:23 AM   #61
Johnny1

Drives: Would only drive GM
The seller on e-bay is whitesandperformance. Or you can go to e-bay and type in search: pcv oil catch can
Johnny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:30 PM   #62
lawdogg149

Drives: Corvette ZO6 CSR edition #47
Here is a link to my new DIY thread with pics>

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58475
Old 12-29-2009, 05:36 PM   #63
cowboy1948

Drives: 10 LT2/RS-08 SILVERADO-05 COBALT
Cool

Does anyone know how to install one in the v6? Having a little trouble understanding where the tubing going into the can comes from. And where it goes to coming out of the catch can?

Retired
cowboy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:46 PM   #64
lawdogg149

Drives: Corvette ZO6 CSR edition #47
Sorry unsure on the V-6. Is there a hose running to the factory intake piping from the valve cover. Should be the only tubing running into it. if you have taken off to add cold air you should find the tube. That tube should be routed to through the catch can an back into the air intake piping on the V-6 engines.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:03 PM   #65
Mzodarg
Remembering those in Blue

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Blk w/IOM Int
This may help; Found this with google

Last edited by Mzodarg; 12-29-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Mzodarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:38 PM   #66
cowboy1948

Drives: 10 LT2/RS-08 SILVERADO-05 COBALT
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogg149 View Post
Sorry unsure on the V-6. Is there a hose running to the factory intake piping from the valve cover. Should be the only tubing running into it. if you have taken off to add cold air you should find the tube. That tube should be routed to through the catch can an back into the air intake piping on the V-6 engines.
Got it now, Thanks for the help. Drive safe.

Retired
cowboy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:02 PM   #67
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Here is the most informative thread on the internet:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...outing-ok.html

This thread is great, but several misconceptions are present and need to be addressed to save time, money, and frustration.

The first is the "home depot" kit. This is what I first used years ago as there was no real comonly available oil seperating catchcan. It does & will trap some oil, but it is far to small to allow the vapors a chance to cool, condense, and drop out of suspension. It basically traps the large drops, but the majority (the mist) goes right through. (any doubt, just put a clear fuel filter inline after a device and you will see the filter saturate w/oil even after the can). The other issue is it has no baffeling in place & is made of polycarb which is not a good heat transfer material. Aluminum is one of the best.

Next is the common billet units which look awesome, and do a pretty good job but are still to small (1 pint) to allow the vapors time to cool & slow down enough to allow the oil to drop out of suspension, and they have a filter media inside that works well at first, but quickly becomes saturated allowing droplets to be pulled off and out the outlet (the media is only 1-2 inches away from the outlet).

Only 2 designs out there truely remove almost all of the oil, SakouMicchi (excuse my spelling) and the RevXtreme units. Both are 1 qt in capacity allowing the vapors a chance to slow, and have a perforatted dispersion tube running down from the inlet (top of can) that allow the vapors to evenly disperse making the maximum amount of contact with the outer cooling surface. The RevXtreme design goes a bit further. It has internal baffeling discs that seperate the cooling chamber from the outlet chamber (further prevents any oil from getting through), and it has an integrated PCV/checkvalve that controls the amount of vacuum pulled and prevents any back-flow or reversion.

The other area that oil can enter is from the fresh air inlet attached to the intake coupler. Under hard acceleration & high RPM's the crankcase can become pressurized momentarily and push oil back into the intake. The OEM system needs to pull vacuum to work correctly, and your vacuum is at the highest at idle or deceleration from high RPM's. At WOT, there is very little vacuum present and oil can be pushed back through. To prevent this, an inline checkvalve will only allow flow into the crankcase, and not out through the fresh air tube. For motors that are pushed harder than most, a simple filtered oil fill cap will provide for the fresh air source, but is NOT emmissions legal as it will vent some vapors to the air when not under high vacuum.

Anyone that wants the zipped files with every possible diagram for N/A & F/I just PM me your email & I'll send it.

Here are pictures of the RevX cans and most vendors carry them (Byunspeed, Hinson SuperCars, Vengence, etc.) Prices are $99.95 for the single can kit for N/A applications, and $199.95 for a dual system for F/I. The carbon fiber finishes are $199.95 and include everything you need to install them:

Dual system:

Oil fill cap breather $29.95:

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #68
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
10 days of nastiness..

use a catch can!

btw this is where this stuff ends up.. (mustang intake butterflies) and all up on the inside of your runners...
fdjizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:16 PM   #69
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
This thread has the most complete info of any I have seen on the net:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...outing-ok.html

Lots of pages, but please read it in it's entirety.

Here are pictures of the manufacturing process of the RevXtreme cam from raw stock to the finished products:

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:24 AM   #70
Coop

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Nice product but a little out of my price range for an aluminum can.
2010 Camaro 1SS Inferno Orange Magnusson Supercharger Installed and Tuned by ADM Performance, Roto Fab CAI IOM painted, MBRP Cat Back Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Shifter, Clear Image Headers, Pedders coilovers, BMR Front/Rear sway bars Trailing Arms and End Links, VMax ported TB
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote