Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-20-2021, 09:33 AM   #1
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Painting Louvers

Hey Guys,

I know they are not well received for the most part in the Gen 5 community but i have a set of louvers on my 2010. I like them, and i think they go with the look I have going for the car. They are textured plastic. Over the years they have faded a bit. Im thinking of painting them a Satin black to match my other Satin black accents on my Gloss black Camaro. Any tips to painting it? I dont even wanna smooth them out, i just want them black again. I was thinking.. clean real well with alcohol or similar, prime, satin black paint. Am i missing anything?

-Adam

Color matched OEM GFX / VIS Carbon Fiber Hood (absolute trash quality and customer service ) / Heritage Grille / 5% Windows / 30% Windshield tint with 5% visor strip / Tinted Exterior Lights / Streetfighter LA Spoiler / Morimoto XB LED fogs / LED sidemarkers / Airaid CAI / Hurst Short Throw / TSP LT's / No cats / No resonator / Corsa Xtreme Catback / Trifecta Tune / Factory amp replaced / 2 JL Audio 12's in the trunk / MRR 228 Wheels / BMR Springs / Moog Endlinks / R1 Concepts Rotors & Pads
Arogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:19 AM   #2
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
have you considered using back to black plastic restorer on them? you might have to redo every couple of months but it works pretty well.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:36 AM   #3
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
have you considered using back to black plastic restorer on them? you might have to redo every couple of months but it works pretty well.
So here's my issue with that. Ive used that on my grille and whatnot and if it rains it seems to run down my paint. I know i can take the louvers off, back to black them and let them cure for a day or 2 the reinstall but im at a point now where id rather just paint them to have a nice easy to take of finish. My car unfortunately doesnt get a garage so she sits outside all the time

Color matched OEM GFX / VIS Carbon Fiber Hood (absolute trash quality and customer service ) / Heritage Grille / 5% Windows / 30% Windshield tint with 5% visor strip / Tinted Exterior Lights / Streetfighter LA Spoiler / Morimoto XB LED fogs / LED sidemarkers / Airaid CAI / Hurst Short Throw / TSP LT's / No cats / No resonator / Corsa Xtreme Catback / Trifecta Tune / Factory amp replaced / 2 JL Audio 12's in the trunk / MRR 228 Wheels / BMR Springs / Moog Endlinks / R1 Concepts Rotors & Pads
Old 09-20-2021, 12:57 PM   #4
redcoats1976

it seems to stay on my grill pretty well,but i do buff it once its been on there for an hour or so.but being its stored outside paint might be your best option.
Old 09-20-2021, 02:48 PM   #5
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
I used the McGuires back to black on my Heritage grille and no problems with it running ever. My rear louvers have been on my Camaro for about 5 years now and the only thing I do to them is hit them with my detail spray and then wipe them off right away. I use the Chemical Guys Quick Wipe Detail spray.

Name:  don 10.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  170.7 KB

Name:  don 6.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  201.9 KB

Old 09-20-2021, 03:54 PM   #6
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
I used the McGuires back to black on my Heritage grille and no problems with it running ever. My rear louvers have been on my Camaro for about 5 years now and the only thing I do to them is hit them with my detail spray and then wipe them off right away. I use the Chemical Guys Quick Wipe Detail spray.

IDK, i always wiped them down but they just seem so gray lately. I took them off for now, but I already miss them lol. This weekend I'm hitting the track but maybe the weekend after Ill give them a coat of satin black and get them back on there. Ill post my results. I definitely need to back to black my heritage now that you reminded me.

Old 09-20-2021, 06:04 PM   #7
romcjr

Drives: Two 1984 Z28 / 2014 2SS/RS AGM L99
I would use an adhesion promoter if they are plastic . Post pics when you get them done !
POWERSTOP Brakes (5/31/21)
romcjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:22 PM   #8
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
Don't worry about what anyone else thinks, its your car. Do you have any plasti dip companies in your area? Might be an option. I have never had anything done but the options are endless. Maybe someone here can chime in on the process & say yay or nay.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:04 PM   #9
joekono

Drives: Camaro Convertible 2014 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arogg View Post
Hey Guys,

I know they are not well received for the most part in the Gen 5 community but i have a set of louvers on my 2010. I like them, and i think they go with the look I have going for the car. They are textured plastic. Over the years they have faded a bit. Im thinking of painting them a Satin black to match my other Satin black accents on my Gloss black Camaro. Any tips to painting it? I dont even wanna smooth them out, i just want them black again. I was thinking.. clean real well with alcohol or similar, prime, satin black paint. Am i missing anything?

-Adam
Adam,

YOU put on your car what YOU want to. You've already picked the great Camaro Gen5 plus IMHO, one of the best models on this forum has louvers. While I couldn't help you as I have a vert, but you should find the answer here on the forum. I used to paint waaaay back when and it's usually sand, prime, sand, paint, wet sand, buff(polish or compound) then clear coat. However, not sure if you need to do all of that for you louvers. Good luck!
Old 09-21-2021, 06:13 AM   #10
Car Nation Videos
YouTube-Car Nation Videos

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post

Attachment 1080349

Attachment 1080350

She looks good bro. I got the same color.
Car Nation Videos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 06:46 AM   #11
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekono View Post
Adam,

YOU put on your car what YOU want to. You've already picked the great Camaro Gen5 plus IMHO, one of the best models on this forum has louvers. While I couldn't help you as I have a vert, but you should find the answer here on the forum. I used to paint waaaay back when and it's usually sand, prime, sand, paint, wet sand, buff(polish or compound) then clear coat. However, not sure if you need to do all of that for you louvers. Good luck!
Yeah, I build my car for ME. As far as the painting, i usually use the steps you mentioned but i dont want to lose the texture on them so im not gonna sand. So now im thinking.. Adhesion promoter, prime, satin paint.

Old 09-21-2021, 06:48 AM   #12
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

BTW, this is them on the car. only pic I have of them on the work laptop. They dont look too gray in this photo but in direct sunlight they do
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2021, 07:24 AM   #13
Flhchaz

Drives: 2015 ls, 2015 Silverado LTZ
I wouldn't think twice about painting them. Go to your local auto paint shop and tell them what you are painting (maybe even take the louvers with you). They will steer you in the right direction
Flhchaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:54 AM   #14
redcoats1976

im thinking i might need louvers on my car soon...