Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
jimvor

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Rust Everywhere After Light Rain

2 weeks ago I noticed rust spots on the trunk lid, not like the little specs you might see if you haven't used detailing clay, but more like where ever moisture sat on the car, like from dew at night. Well this past week was the first rain my new Camaro SS/RS has seen, since I got it about 3 months ago, and I went to wash it this morning, and found rust spots everywhere that water sat on it from the rain. When I first found these little rust spots on the trunk, I used detailing clay to remove them, then I made sure I kept my car covered in wax (Mother's California Gold Wax). I knew rain was coming so I completely clayed and waxed my car last weekend, it rained on and off for a couple days and then Friday was sunny, today Saturday I went to clean the rain spots off my car and found Rust Spots all over the place, and they don't wash off. I took it to the Dealer and showed them, they tried to blow it off as fallout, I never got rust spots on my silver Acura for 4 years I told them.
They told me to bring it back during the week when their guy will be there to check it out. Is anyone else having these issues? I shouldn't have to clay my paint every week to remove rust, especially with a couple coats of Wax on there.

I went out this morning (Sunday) and it sure is depressing, I hope others will reply with their findings, I have never seen this before on any car I have owned. It is waxed smooth and shiny, but has these spots on every surface that water sat on, not as much on the sides, but some on the sides as well.

Help!

jimvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
zerolm

Drives: Ford F-350/ 2SS/RS M6
It looks to me as if whatever is causing that color is in the rain itself and not a problem with the car. The reason I am saying this is because the "rust" is in the perfect shape of water spots.
If your car was rusting, It would be very small dots to start with and grow from there. I honestly think these spots are on top of your paint and not under it.
zerolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
It is acid rain and I would wash the car off soon. Acid rain is whne the pollutions in the sky come down in the rain. They can spot your car bad if left on it.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
It is acid rain and I would wash the car off soon. Acid rain is whne the pollutions in the sky come down in the rain. They can spot your car bad if left on it.
thats what it looks like to me as well. Not a problem with the car but what was in the air/rain thats now sitting ontop of your clearcoat..
Old 10-18-2009, 03:24 PM   #5
jimvor

I understand about the acid rain, the problem I am having is that it doesn't wash off, and actually first appeared two weeks before the car ever saw rain, only on the trunk lid, where the car port really only overlaps by about a foot. The dealership washed the car yesterday, and it didn't come off. They told me to leave it on there until their guy can see it during the week. I am leaving a wet sponge on top of the car to see what happens under the sponge, so far nothing. I have had 2 silver Acura RSX-S's one for more than a year, the second for 4 years, and never saw this kind of thing, even after not washing it for long periods of time. I still live and work and park in the exact same place..... this really has me puzzled.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
All-Or-Nothing
Account Suspended

Drives: BMW 6 series Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post

I was gonna say his car has been sneaking out at night with a GT500 and humping that rear axle.
All-Or-Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:31 PM   #7
Big D

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/AT (Silver)
I have had something similar but mine were small and washed off. I think it was from parking under a tree.
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #8
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Is it worse on the stripes or does it just show up better on them because they are white? Are the srtipes factory or painted on?
Old 10-18-2009, 04:49 PM   #9
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul SS View Post
Is it worse on the stripes or does it just show up better on them because they are white? Are the srtipes factory or painted on?
His stripes are not white..
Old 10-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
Looks like the rain has a high concentration of mud/clay dust particles in it. I see you are from California. Are there not still lots of wild fires burning? I wonder if that is where the higher dust concentration is from?
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #11
97one

Drives: 2016 & 1967 Camaro, 2015 Impala, +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerolm View Post
It looks to me as if whatever is causing that color is in the rain itself and not a problem with the car. The reason I am saying this is because the "rust" is in the perfect shape of water spots.
If your car was rusting, It would be very small dots to start with and grow from there. I honestly think these spots are on top of your paint and not under it.

Where are you parking it ?
What is around there ?

The CAR IS NOT RUSTING !!....

It's ON the car, NOT the car.
Look at OTHER CARS around your car after the rain, I bet they have the same spots.

97one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:58 PM   #12
jimvor

Its just crap from the first rain, probably some crap off the asfault flying up from tires too, and trees nearbye also. I have never had this happen with my other silver cars, thats why it seemed like rust. Today I looked at it with a 10x Jeweler's loupe, and it looks to be ontop of the paint, so I have spent my day claying it, only half done, and I bought some Meguiar's NXT Wax, hopefully that will protect it a little better. That crap is everywhere, and doesn't come off easily. Thanks for all the responses!
Old 10-18-2009, 07:06 PM   #13
jimvor

My stripes are not bad, there is a couple water spot looking marks on em, but nothing serious. They are Cyber Grey Metallic vinyl, factory ordered, dealer installed, there is about 3 spots on em. Is there a way to get them off? or did the acid mark them forever?
Old 10-18-2009, 07:17 PM   #14
slacker
Troubled 40 something

Drives: 2010 IOM RS/SS M6
Could be rust from rail dust- when the cars get transported by rail, small particles of iron from the wheels of the train cars get airborne and land on anything in the area. If they are hot, they sometimes embed themselves in the paint. The best solution is to clay the car- it's probably what the dealer will do.