Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-30-2019, 08:47 AM   #15
Moekluse

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by weSS1LEy View Post
Is there a resonator on your car because as far as I can tell you ARE straight piped. Either add high flow cats or Borla mufflers. I wouldn’t add both. I’m worried about you going too far the other way. The worst is spending thousands and ending up with a quiet exhaust.
It Is straight piped, and I definitely dont want it to be quiet Haha but I am looking into cutouts. Does anyone know how the stock mufflers sound with the catless long tube headers? If I can make the highway bearable, then I will most likely go for cutouts with stock cat back
Moekluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:21 AM   #16
QUICRNU

Drives: Z06 wannabe
Stock catback will sound fine .... As long as you are retaining some sort of crossover, an X or H in the system. I ran stock catback behind LTs and catless connects for thousands of miles...had Noweeds cutouts too...it was awesome.....

I ended up switching because cutouts were only fun at car shows and drag strip..too loud for driving around, the rest of the time the car was somewhat docile unless I was on the throttle. Wanted miderate sound everywhere
Old 04-30-2019, 09:22 AM   #17
PepeLePew

Drives: 2010 2SS Coupe; 2011 2LT Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moekluse View Post
It Is straight piped, and I definitely dont want it to be quiet Haha but I am looking into cutouts. Does anyone know how the stock mufflers sound with the catless long tube headers? If I can make the highway bearable, then I will most likely go for cutouts with stock cat back
Stock mufflers with catless long tubes is basically the setup I have. I have the GM Performance axle back so it is only slightly more aggressive but very quiet for highway driving. I am also cammed so it adds to the aggressiveness. I get a little drone around 1800 RPMs but it is not unbearable. Staying in 5th gear until about 70 mph eliminates drone. If you aren't cammed and don't have to worry about drivability at lower RPMs, you should be able to avoid the drone at lower speeds (60-70mph) in 6th gear.

Cutouts are awesome IMO! Before you do them though, keep in mind that most will leak very slightly. Mine do but I can only hear them from outside the car at idle. I hear nothing in the car when driving.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:13 PM   #18
Moekluse

I really appreciate everyone's input on this subject, i have decided to go with a full magnaflow street series cat back. I will update when they are on the car in a couple of weeks. The car is getting dyno tuned this following Monday
Old 05-03-2019, 06:21 PM   #19
Moekluse

I also had another question regarding installing a catback designed for a zl1-1le with quad tips. Of course the diffuser will be replaced but I was unsure if the hangers on the zl1 style exhaust were similar to the hangars on a SS. Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2019, 06:56 PM   #20
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Keep everything you have and just install a Magnaflow resonated x pipe and call it a day. It will remove rasp...give you a nice low rumble and help with noise. If you want the best sounding exhaust for a Camaro Imo....get the Corsa Xtreme 3 inch catback. Its loud as hell...sounds great with headers and has zero drone. It will makes ears bleed when you want but is tame whem you need it.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:47 AM   #21
Moekluse

What I decided to do was to order the resonated x pipe and see if that helped. It's cheap and If i dont like it, I'll just order a full catback. Will post as soon as it comes in
Old 05-04-2019, 09:32 AM   #22
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
What I decided to do was to order the resonated x pipe and see if that helped. It's cheap and If i dont like it, I'll just order a full catback. Will post as soon as it comes in
I think you will be happy.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:44 PM   #23
Moekluse

Well, I didn't get the chance to install the resonator but the car got dyno tuned today which was cool. Only has headers, muffler delete, and cold air intake and it baselined 432 hp corrected (Dynojet) which was very surprising for a baseline pull with stock tune. Its final numbers were 445 hp sae corrected which was pretty freaking good for those small bolt-ons.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2019, 08:46 PM   #24
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Trade it in for a V6.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:10 PM   #25
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Wow! I don't mean to rain on your parade, but that's a very generous dyno for just bolt ons. Congrats on the great numbers.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:12 PM   #26
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Wow! I don't mean to rain on your parade, but that's a very generous dyno for just bolt ons. Congrats on the great numbers.
It's corrected numbers.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:31 PM   #27
Moekluse

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
I was very surprised to see it as well, was expecting 420ish after tune, and it baselined over 430 first run which no one in the shop could believe. It is a very reputable shop and they told me that the dyno reads true which is why everyone was surprised. They do tons of Camaros weekly and they all dyno what is expected. Pretty low DA which is why I think it made good numbers. It didnt pick up much from tune, but it was pretty rich before the tune so he cleaned it up pretty well
Old 05-07-2019, 10:26 AM   #28
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
I was very surprised to see it as well, was expecting 420ish after tune, and it baselined over 430 first run which no one in the shop could believe. It is a very reputable shop and they told me that the dyno reads true which is why everyone was surprised. They do tons of Camaros weekly and they all dyno what is expected. Pretty low DA which is why I think it made good numbers. It didnt pick up much from tune, but it was pretty rich before the tune so he cleaned it up pretty well
If you look to the right of the dyno graph it’s says it’s corrected to std. to be accurate it has to be corrected to sae. STD correction will read higher. How much I am not sure but read it’s only about 10-15 hp. Being generous stock hp is 375 max, 380 if you have electric steering. Headers 25-30, intake 10-15, muffler delete not worth anything. Looks like tune did 13, which is right in there.
So good numbers even if by sae.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote