Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-04-2020, 06:17 PM   #15
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbland60 View Post
How many track miles and total do you have on it.
Known issue being the brake pressure exceeds the slave pressure needed so inturn the weakest link goes first under extreme use????
I thought the brakes and clutch were only linked in the reservoir? There shouldn't be any appreciable pressure in the reservoir.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:20 PM   #16
FasNuf

I bet when he disassembles the clutch and slave, they'll be all kinds of clutch dust muckin up the works. This dust is known to get past the slave seals as well as contaminating the fluid.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:25 PM   #17
RankSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I bet the plastic bearing support in the slave melted. You need the billet bearing support that monster or Tick can supply with a new GM slave.
2010 Camaro SS RS, Maggie with 3.4" pulley, 60# injectors, ADM dual fuel pumps, ADM Stage 2 Cam with Brian Tooley springs and pushrods, black CAI intake, Stainless Works long tube headers w/gutted cats, ZL1 Diff w/offset bushings, Pfadt lowering springs, Pfadt sway bars, Pfadt solid sub frame mounts, BMR trailing arms and toe rods, Hurst short throw shifter, Painted on Hugger Orange stripes, Forgestar F14 Piano Black wheels, Nitto NT05 rubber.
RankSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:51 PM   #18
Gbland60

Drives: 2015 z28 Black w/ac #645
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasNuf View Post
I thought the brakes and clutch were only linked in the reservoir? There shouldn't be any appreciable pressure in the reservoir.
This is true. Hum
Gbland60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:09 PM   #19
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Just a heads up... I had my clutch pedal stick to the floor once. Happened only once. Before this happened on mine I already did the clutch reservoir mod and fluid upgrade to motul 660. I did that mod about a year prior to my clutch pedal sticking that one time.. I say this just so everyone can see that this clutch pedal sticking crap definitely has not much to do with the fluid or reservoir.

The day my pedal stuck it all came back to normal after the car cooled down in engine bay. About a week later I decided to do the Tick billet sleeve mod and speed bleeder. Since I had it all apart I just upgraded the entire clutch to a McLoad twin disc and put a new slave cylinder in to. I then put the LPE return spring on the clutch pedal to. Never had any issues since then and I am very hard on the car usually even when not at the tracks.

I’m leaning towards upgrading the master cylinder next just so I know the entire system is upgraded. I know that clutch pedal sticking once it happens to ya it just sucks and ruins your day.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:55 PM   #20
69L48Z27

Drives: 2015 Z/28; 1969 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat_t View Post
FYI - My car has a misadjusted clutch from new. My symptoms were slipping clutch not pedal feel, but removing the gearbox and correctly re-adjusting the preload on the fingers solved the issue.

While the gearbox was off I put a remote clutch bleed in.

Since then I've used Motul 660, replaced fluid regularly and it has been fine, (7000 hard miles including lots on track).

Your issue may not be related but if you end up having the gearbox off, definitely get the clutch pre-load checked
Pat_t - Is there any kind of video or post that describes that adjustment? Curious if you do it without removing the trans. My clutch has always felt a bit high on release point but never slipped.
TIA
69L48Z27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:14 PM   #21
Gbland60

Drives: 2015 z28 Black w/ac #645
I made an era. It was 32.25. Mm. Not 11.5. On the wheels I'm going to sleep now a month recharge my PCM.
Gbland60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:18 PM   #22
dardbrown

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z28
The car has only 10800 miles on it and I was the first to put in on the track for only 5 reasonably easy laps just getting to know how it handles and relearning HPR. I did some more testing and I think the clutch slave cylinder bleeder got loose. Because laying underneath I watched to fluid squirt out the side of the bell housing where the bleeder is. I got a mirror and saw that there is no cap on it.
dardbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:22 PM   #23
dardbrown

Is there a special tool to tighten/loosen the clutch bleeder? I tried a small socket and an end wrench. It was futile! I ordered the Tic remote bleeder and the separate reservoir. How in the world do you install it? Do I have to drop the tranny?
Old 02-05-2020, 10:23 PM   #24
dardbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by dardbrown View Post
I flushed out the DOT3 with DOT4 brake fluid in my brake system. But I didn't do anything with the clutch. On the sixth lap at HPR the pedal stuck to the floor and stayed there. It cost me a boat load of money to have it towed back home. One of the Corvette guys said he had the same problem and put MOTUL 660 after flushing out the system. Any ideas why this would happen? The brakes worked fantastic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970judge View Post
What fluid was in it specifically?
I was using the blue type 200 stuff.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:25 PM   #25
dardbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX621 View Post
Miles? Mods? Stock clutch?
10800 miles, no mods just Dot4 fluid, stock clutch
Old 02-05-2020, 11:19 PM   #26
FasNuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjellyfish212 View Post
Just a heads up... I had my clutch pedal stick to the floor once. Happened only once. Before this happened on mine I already did the clutch reservoir mod and fluid upgrade to motul 660. I did that mod about a year prior to my clutch pedal sticking that one time.. I say this just so everyone can see that this clutch pedal sticking crap definitely has not much to do with the fluid or reservoir.

The day my pedal stuck it all came back to normal after the car cooled down in engine bay. About a week later I decided to do the Tick billet sleeve mod and speed bleeder. Since I had it all apart I just upgraded the entire clutch to a McLoad twin disc and put a new slave cylinder in to. I then put the LPE return spring on the clutch pedal to. Never had any issues since then and I am very hard on the car usually even when not at the tracks.

I’m leaning towards upgrading the master cylinder next just so I know the entire system is upgraded. I know that clutch pedal sticking once it happens to ya it just sucks and ruins your day.
So I understand that the plastic sleeve can melt causing the pedal stick issues and the billet sleeve is a fix. The reservoir is still a great idea to avoid cross contamination of the brakes and clutch systems. Cheap insurance.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:49 AM   #27
pat_t

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69L48Z27 View Post
Pat_t - Is there any kind of video or post that describes that adjustment? Curious if you do it without removing the trans. My clutch has always felt a bit high on release point but never slipped.
TIA
You definitely need to pull the trans. You need a press:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...djustment.html

The clutches are self adjusting but can only adjust "out" to take account of friction plate and flywheel wear over time. If they are too far out when installed then there is always some load on the fingers, and the clutch capacity is reduced (hence slipping).

Following the procedure in the GM service manual solved all my issues, and the pedal feel is good with bite point in the middle of the travel where it should be.

If you want to get deeper into self adjusting clutch tech, I found this PDF from LUK who make the LS7 clutch.
https://www.repxpert.com/en/mediadoc...AC-TecBr-PC/en

Hope it's of help
Pat
pat_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:04 PM   #28
69L48Z27

Drives: 2015 Z/28; 1969 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat_t View Post
You definitely need to pull the trans. You need a press:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...djustment.html

The clutches are self adjusting but can only adjust "out" to take account of friction plate and flywheel wear over time. If they are too far out when installed then there is always some load on the fingers, and the clutch capacity is reduced (hence slipping).

Following the procedure in the GM service manual solved all my issues, and the pedal feel is good with bite point in the middle of the travel where it should be.

If you want to get deeper into self adjusting clutch tech, I found this PDF from LUK who make the LS7 clutch.
https://www.repxpert.com/en/mediadoc...AC-TecBr-PC/en

Hope it's of help
Pat
It is, thank you!
69L48Z27 is offline   Reply With Quote