Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-11-2017, 05:50 PM   #1
Christian_smith94

Drives: 2016 Black 2SS
Warranty voided on Trans AND Driveline?!?!

Okay, so let's back track here a little bit to get some background history out of the way. For starters, I bought this car brand spanking new off a lot in Maryland (I live in NJ.) The car had 136 miles on the clock on March 26th, 2016. Here we are today at 32k and change (I drive a shit ton.)

So anyway, back in October I had issues regarding my fuel gauge which resulted in my car being serviced for 20-21 days in total (Lemon by NJ standards.) I kept the car after it came back operational. Fast forward to about 3-4 weeks ago now and I'm stranded on the side of the road after doing a burnout. My drive shaft shattered and my driver side axle (Which I'm told is thicker than the passenger side shaft.)

First dealer tries to flag my car and attempts to charge me about a grand for the repairs, so I contacted another dealer and they replaced it no problem under warranty. The service guy tells me he'll take care of me for ALL warranty issues no matter what. Well, that guy f*cking lied right to my damn face... A-hole... So I pick the car up about a week later (2 weeks ago roughly) and was leaving work. I stop at a red light and make a right turn, go from 1st at about 12mph to second. As I engage the clutch I hear a loud ass pop. Like LOUD, so I figure okay, maybe I ran something over and blew a tire or something. Nope, now the car won't accelerate whatsoever.

I get a tow over to the dealer, talk to the guy who will "take care of every bit of warranty work I've got" and I tell him that I think I blew another axle out. He lifts it and minutes later says yeah that's the problem, and there's oil or grease all over the place and dripping on my exhaust piping.

This was Monday afternoon, here we are today on Thursday morning getting a call telling me that they've blocked my warranty and that it'll cost $750 bucks about. They claim that the damage is from excessive abuse due to the fact that they found traces of some rubber inside my wheel wells. Yet that was all f*cking there during the first damn repair with no issue. So you mean to tell me because I've done a burnout my entire drivetrain and transmission warranty is thrown out the door. ON A TRACK BUILT CAR?!

WHAT SENSE DOES THIS BS MAKE?!?!?!

Anybody here have any idea of what to do?! I've called corporate (This is like my 3rd filed complaint with corporate, none of which they've helped me AT ALL.) Like this is complete BS.
Attached Images

Christian_smith94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:04 PM   #2
Christian_smith94

Bump
Old 05-11-2017, 06:08 PM   #3
vet757

Drives: ^^^This
That sucks! Sorry this happened to you. Heres what Ive read about warranty laws. Good luck!https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance
vet757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:18 PM   #4
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
I really wish I had something positive to add here but that just sucks. It's crazy that they blocked your transmission warranty as well. It looks like it snapped those bolts clean off. Sorry to hear and I'll monitor this for updates. Good luck.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:21 PM   #5
Christian_smith94

Quote:
Originally Posted by vet757 View Post
That sucks! Sorry this happened to you. Heres what Ive read about warranty laws. Good luck!https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance
Thanks man, I'll read into it!
Old 05-11-2017, 06:24 PM   #6
FlowForm_Wheels

Drives: Turbo 4, SC V8 and Twin Turbo V8
Yeah that sounds ridiculous. Hopefully things get sorted out.
FlowForm_Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:25 PM   #7
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
are you sheering the bolts or breaking the shaft? it looks like sheered bolts. Did that happen the first time too or was the shaft itself what "shattered"? Seems odd that you would sheer the bolts when they should be the same as the ZL1 and that has much more power and very odd that it would happen just from turning.

I'd look into seeing if the bolts are the correct strength. Not even sure if the brakes can hold the wheel hard enough to break the axle bolts and with nothing keeping the car from moving forward ....seems highly questionable if it played out the way you're saying. Needs some detective work before giving up. For sure.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:26 PM   #8
Christian_smith94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
I really wish I had something positive to add here but that just sucks. It's crazy that they blocked your transmission warranty as well. It looks like it snapped those bolts clean off. Sorry to hear and I'll monitor this for updates. Good luck.
Yeah man, that was the first break, I haven't been able to snap any pics of the newly broken axle as of yet.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:30 PM   #9
Christian_smith94

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
are you sheering the bolts or breaking the shaft? it looks like sheered bolts. Did that happen the first time too or was the shaft itself what "shattered"? Seems odd that you would sheer the bolts when they should be the same as the ZL1 and that has much more power and very odd that it would happen just from turning.

I'd look into seeing if the bolts are the correct strength. Not even sure if the brakes can hold the wheel hard enough to break the axle bolts and with nothing keeping the car from moving forward ....seems highly questionable if it played out the way you're saying. Needs some detective work before giving up. For sure.
From what the first repair stated, I believe he said that the driveshaft was replaced due to the inside of it getting a bitch chewed up. The upper portion of it on the inside you may be able to see it. But idk what the inside is supposed to look like. It was a $1k job, so it's possible that it wasn't broken but moreso just "extra labor" to get the pieces of bolts out? I don't have the service doc anymore, I mailed it to my lemon lawyer.

And the picture of the snapped bolts is from the first incident, which isn't during the turning. I haven't seen the severity of the most recent occurrence as of yet.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:15 PM   #10
Christian_smith94

Bump
Old 05-11-2017, 07:21 PM   #11
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
I suspect GM has blocked the warranty repair. It does happen when you have two repairs similar or the same in a short period of time, where the repair could possibly be related to abuse (not saying it is, just saying they look at these things). You will definitely have to go the corporate route as I'm assuming they are denying the warranty claim. Regardless of what a dealer tells you, there are certain warranty claims that are simply out of their control.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:25 PM   #12
Christian_smith94

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow View Post
I suspect GM has blocked the warranty repair. It does happen when you have two repairs similar or the same in a short period of time, where the repair could possibly be related to abuse (not saying it is, just saying they look at these things). You will definitely have to go the corporate route as I'm assuming they are denying the warranty claim. Regardless of what a dealer tells you, there are certain warranty claims that are simply out of their control.
Yeah and even my transmission for whatever reason. But I mean for these axles, the stronger one snapped first, so wouldn't you logically think, okay, the weaker one is probably gonna break soon too considering they both were under the same forces? Ya know? So like why would they even second guess it. It's not the "same part" since they're opposing half shafts.

I've got corporate involved, waiting for them to have time to go over the case now.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:33 PM   #13
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
Thanks for the info and good luck with a positive resolution. What tires do you run?

I wonder if we could source upgraded bolts?

Rohana RFX-5 10/11, M/T 275/305, Eibachs, Hellwigs, Hurst SS, DMS LT4 SC 596HP/589TQ, DMS Low-side, Kooks 2LTs, MBRP Race, Rotofab, MMS CC
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:37 PM   #14
MR 45TH

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyHill View Post

I wonder if we could source upgraded bolts?
That was my first thought. Then again if that is the intended weak spot, upgraded bolts may lead to more expensive parts breaking

Tags
axleshaft, blocked, transmission, voided, warranty