Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-22-2008, 09:36 AM   #1
jdpickering
Razzi

Drives: 99 Monte Carlo Z34
Camaro Chat 10:00 - 10:30

Please wait, connecting to server...
Connected!
421Tempest: Do you forsee a Central Office Production Orders (COPO) type Camaro being offered in the future with a High Performance engine that would be competitive with cars, for example the 500 HP Ford Cobra GT500?

WendyClark: We're finishing up the John Fitzpatrick chat and will be started in just a few minutes. Thanks for your patience.

MikeAndJeff: Hello everyone!

blackoutj: Is the light ring shown in the ignition video going to be available? Can you change the gauge lighing colors similar to the mustang?

This is a moderated chat room. That means that your messages won't appear until a moderator approves it.
MikeAndJeff: The light ring around the gauges is standard on all vehicles. In addition, there will be ambient light across the instrument panel that flows into the doors that matches the rings around the gauges. We do have two colors - ice blue and red - however, you can not dial a different color like the Mustang.

nancygrl2002: I noticed the 3 different wheel/tire configurations for the 3 different models. Are the wheels/rims the same appearance but in the different sizes? Or are there 3 different style wheels/rims????

MikeAndJeff: We have 18, 19 and 20 inch wheels in the Camaro wheels and they all have individual appearances. We have 20 inch wheels for the SS and V6 and V8 RS packs.

MrToad: I've seen pictures on the interior, I see lights on the a lot of the buttons, will those lights be changeable?

MikeAndJeff: No, they will always be ice blue.

421Tempest: The concept Camaro exhibited a slit/opening in the hood however the Camaro demonstrated at yesterdays unveiling did appear to have this feature. Has this been changed?

MikeAndJeff: The detail slot above the grill is a feature we saved for the SS

wareagle900: Can you tell us the difference between the RS and the base model tail lights?

MikeAndJeff: Tail lamps are the same across all models.

wplangan: With so many other manufacturers offering retractable hard tops, andthis being a modern spin on a classic, why go rag top?

MikeAndJeff: The main reasons are simplicity and use of a rag top and the mass decision for performance (hardtops are very heavy). It's also a commitment to keep the car affordable.

gss9909: why was the slit on the ss not made fuctional? I was really hoping for forced are.

MikeAndJeff: It's a visual design feature. The reason it's not functional is it requires a large structural element behind it.

Reccie: Gday Mike, how are you enjoying Detroit after Melbourne?

MikeAndJeff: With an event like the Camaro launch, it's pretty great over here.

jamesmcd: How much of the design was done in Australia?

MikeAndJeff: Theming for both the exterior and the interior was done here in North America, which is the spiritual home for the Camaro design, but the execution and engineering development was done in Australia. The team down there handled all the development including testing and are now heading back to North America for production.

MikeAndJeff: That's the value of having a global design organization.

MrToad: How many people will fit inside? And are the back seats comparable to the Mustang?

MikeAndJeff: The backseat design is more expressive than the Mustang (bolsters), and it's got more knee and head room than the Mustang. It's a better package.

MrToad: Will the interior have a different color, depending what color is on the exterior?

MikeAndJeff: The customer will be able to choose what color. We will offer all black, gray, gray option, tan option and the accent pack color which is a red-orange. The color will be on the A surface of the seat and the IP and door insert.

gss9909: the rs package discription said rs specific headlight and tail lights could you illaberate?

MikeAndJeff: Headlights are a specific design with an HID function and halo light ring. The tail lamps have the same appearance with a slightly darker internal finish, but essentially, they have the same exterior design.

dvanduse396: Will it be a 4 or 5 passenger vehicle?

MikeAndJeff: Four passsenger.

Bama69: Houndstooth Interior?

MikeAndJeff: Believe me, we thought about it. It's not planned for production right now. Maybe down the road, a modern Houndstooth?

jdpickering: In the concept car the seats had the old style stiching and had a real old car seat look. Will this be an option at all specifically the stiching?

You message has been accepted.
MikeAndJeff: Both the cloth and the leather seats have strong accent stitching. Our goal was to capture some of the detail of the heritage cars but do it in a contemporary fashion.

dvanduse396: Enough leg and head room for a 6'4" driver to be comfortable?

MikeAndJeff: The real test was putting Rick Wagoner into the vehicle. He's 6'6" and he was comfortable.

24speedzone: can you tell us what colors ext

MikeAndJeff: Please visit chevy.com/camaro for exterior colors.

wareagle900 to MikeAndJeff: Will there be an option for blue or red bowties? (we like colored bowties)

WendyClark: We have a lot of questions in the queue - we are doing our best to answer them!

MikeAndJeff: No option for bowties.

ws6w72: I've noticed the car is devoid of spoilers and other aero devices- are there any plans to offer such items other than the rear spoiler?

MikeAndJeff: There's a decklid spoiler on the RS pack and the SS which you saw on the Web release last night. The car doesn't have a need for large ground effects. It works well in standard form. We will have an accessory appearance pack that will come along a little bit later.

kworthin: Did the addition of the B pillar change the shape of the top too?

MikeAndJeff: The B pillar was added to the car to help the structure but didn't affect the shape of the vehicle. If you compare the concept to the production car you saw last night, you'll see there's almost zero difference to the profile of the car.

nancygrl2002: Is there an option for a sun/moon roof????

MikeAndJeff: Yes, we will have an option for a power sunroof available on both models.

gss9909: what are the body panels made of ie hood fenders , composite ect?

MikeAndJeff: Te car is essentially steel, although for lighter efficiency, the hood is alloy. Throughout the car, particularly in the suspension, there are lighter materials.

gss9909: do the tail lights achieve the same "after burner effect as thw concept?

MikeAndJeff: (the afterburners effects we're talking about on the concept car). The LED detail on the concept car which we reproduced on the lens material on the production vehicle. They sparkle in the same way.

WendyClark: Thanks for joining us today. A transcript will be posted on GMnext.com later this week. Feel free to join our next chat with engineer Doug Houlihan. Go to chat.gmnext.com to join the next chat. Thanks again!

MikeAndJeff: Thanks everybody!
jdpickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
Paiko

Drives: Chevy
can't wait!!!
Paiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Love the chats! Unfortunately, I was up until a lil' after 5 catching up on these posts and slept right through the chats!!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
"MikeAndJeff: Te car is essentially steel, although for lighter efficiency, the hood is alloy. Throughout the car, particularly in the suspension, there are lighter materials."

I think this is great. One of my biggest complaints of the 4th. Gen. was that the car kinda' felt cheap because of the SMC and reaction injected materials. I know the facias will likely be the later, which is fine, but am very happy to learn the rest of the car is metal. I'm sure this added weight, but I just think it makes the car more substantial, which, to me, gives the car a higher quality feel.

Great job!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:37 AM   #5
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
The Ice Blue lights will be there if we order the orange accent package? That will be strange. You would think the large accent around the dash and into the doors should also glow orange. However since I'm leaning towards Imperial Blue with Cyber Gray stripes and the orange interior, perhaps blue lighting with orange trim won't be so bad..

Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:13 AM   #6
playhard67
come to poppa

Drives: 67RS,09 Harley FLHX
No. If you order the orange accent package, the interior accent lights will be the orange. That's the only time you'll get the orange interior lights.
playhard67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:16 AM   #7
jmliptak

Drives: D
The buttons remain blue per the chat above, but I agree that the accents are orange, which in the video on the Chevy sight that got pulled looked more red, but that may have just been that video.....
jmliptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:39 PM   #8
Cubanaso
Follower of CHRIST!

Drives: 2005 Mazda RX8
Thanks for posting this, I love to hear it from GM...I guess keeping weight done by the hood is a no go.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:55 PM   #9
SSNIGHTMARE

Drives: 2002 SS Camaro
Please wait, connecting to server...
Connected!
421Tempest: Do you forsee a Central Office Production Orders (COPO) type Camaro being offered in the future with a High Performance engine that would be competitive with cars, for example the 500 HP Ford Cobra GT500?

was it just me or did they not answer this question?
SSNIGHTMARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:40 PM   #10
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
yup, that's the only question that was interesting to me
Old 07-28-2008, 02:53 PM   #11
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
I'm confused. So will the gauges be either blue or red, or is red only available as the trim?

I hope the gauges only come in blue; red's just really hard on the eyes at night.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:18 PM   #12
jmliptak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nester7929 View Post
I'm confused. So will the gauges be either blue or red, or is red only available as the trim?

I hope the gauges only come in blue; red's just really hard on the eyes at night.
Gauges are always blue, so is the led light pip on the trim and doors unless you order the orange accents, then its orange,but it did look red in the video on the Chevy site...
Old 07-28-2008, 07:39 PM   #13
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
How would you know where redline is if everything was red?

Well backseat is bigger than a mustang,
taillamps have the afterburner effect (supposedely)
Someone an inch taller than me is comfortable sitting in the car.

I'm happy.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:40 PM   #14
jmliptak

Well, eventually the rev limiter will kick on.....Either that or the really loud noise....