Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-15-2015, 12:27 PM   #1
tjk_art

Drives: 2010
Question about TSB and warranties

My question is, if the car is under warranty, and a TSB is out, are they required to check for the issue, and fix it if you don't bring it to their attention?

Context: For the past few years my car would always have a cylinder misfire and throw a CEL for the first time I start my car after letting it sit for a few days.

The CEL would always go away after I turned the car off/on again. However, the last time it did this, the CEL didn't go away. So I took it to the dealer to check it out.

I've seen a lot of threads on this issue, where the valves had carbon build up because they're DI engines. After sitting, the valves stick, and cause the misfire on startup. This was causing my CEL, so they took the intake manifold apart and did a manual cleaning to remove it. They reset the CEL and performed an "ecm upgrade" to help with the problem in the future.

When I was checking out, for some reason, he tells me they preformed the procedure as per the TSB, which states something along the lines of "If you see carbon build up on the valves, clean it!" The receipt says "DEACRB TSB".

My car was out of warranty, so I had to pay out of pocket, but I'm curious if when this TSB came out has any relevance in context to my warranty? If it came out before my warranty was up (march 2015), and they just didn't perform it under a multipoint inspection, that's pretty shitty.

This particular dealership has had no problem informing me, during any given oil change, that either my transmission, power steering, or brake fluids need to be replaced after their multipoint inspections.. so it seems fishy they'd just skip right over this TSB maintenance advisory.

If anything , I hope this serves as a heads up for those of you under warranty with a V6. If they have to perform the TSB for free under warranty, I'd suggest you take it to the dealer and have it cleaned before your warranty is up- because it's not cheap, and will creep up on the V6's around 60,000 miles.

Last edited by tjk_art; 10-15-2015 at 12:39 PM.
tjk_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 02:10 PM   #2
FrostySS

Drives: 2018 Redline Edition 2SS
They could have tried to cover it under warranty but the decarb process is maintenance. The TSB is right though, the 3.6's are notorious for that.
2018 Redline Edition 2SS- A8, NPP, MRC, Recaro seats, ECS Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, cat deletes, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts Drake Muscle Car wicker bill, Adams Polishes Ceramic Coating

2010 Infiniti G37x Sedan for the DD.
FrostySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:50 AM   #3
igarut5410

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2ss 1LE
They won't perform the work just because you tell them to. There has to be an actual problem with the vehicle to properly get the ok from gm to repair the vehicle.
igarut5410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:46 PM   #4
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
TSBs are not recalls. If you don't tell them you have a problem, they are not obligated to tell you that you might have a problem.

For example, I had the L99 lifter replacement done per the TSB, because I complained about the symptoms.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:57 PM   #5
MikosV6
Account Suspended

Drives: '15 Camaro 1LS/M6
This is one of the reasons why I purchased a catch can as soon as I drove my Camaro off the dealers lot. It's the first thing you should do if you have direct injection.
MikosV6 is offline   Reply With Quote