Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-13-2016, 02:38 PM   #1
scubachic2006

Drives: 2010 SS
Dealership damages

If this is the wrong place to post this please let me know, I am new to the form. I apologize for the long post but I feel like the whole background is needed. I am active duty military and for the last three years I was stationed overseas. I left my 2010 Chevy Camaro with my parents. In early 2014 they told me they couldn't get the AC to work. I asked them to take it to a local Chevy dealership to determine if there was a problem with the AC system. In April 2014, I came home for a few days and my husband, and I picked up my car from Red River Chevrolet. The next day while driving, it sounded like a gallon of water had been poured into the dash and then water and Freon started blowing out of the dash vents and pouring out of the floor vents. We immediately returned to the dealership. The next day when we returned to pick up the car the serviceman told my husband that the person, who previously worked on the car, forced the part in so that he broke a pair of pliers and damaged the cable. There were spots on the center console from the Freon, and I was told they would come out no problem. However, they left chemical stains on the plastic gear shift cover and radio panel. After picking up the car, we returned home. When I turned the car off and removed the key, the car was still running. We even opened both doors, and the car would not turn off. The only way to turn it off was with the remote start. We returned to the dealership the next morning, they connected it to a computer and all they could tell us was the car was still receiving power when it was turned off. They stated they could keep the car and look into it, as you can imagine at this point I didn't trust them so I told them that I would think about it, and my parents would bring it back.
I called Gerry Lane in Baton Rouge and asked if my parents took the car to them if they would look at it and repair the car. I came home for leave in May 2015, as my husband and I were having our wedding ceremony. My car was still at Gerry Lane, which was only about one hour from the town our wedding was taking place. Someone suggested picking up the car and, unfortunately, I did so. Due to the time constraints and stress I picked up the car without looking it over. As we were taking photos with my car, a huge scratch was found on the passenger side and the next morning my brother-in-law told me there was a ton of plastic in my trunk. Very confused I told him to throw it away because I'm sure it's not important, and he told me I needed to look at it. It was the plastic lining of my trunk. He fixed that, but little did I know this was only the beginning. I had to fly back to Italy Monday morning so I couldn't stay and take the car back. I finally returned to the states and picked up my car in July. Since then several damages have been found. On July 27 I filled a formal complaint with GM, the complaint listed clip damage, AC vent seal, chemical stains on the dash, and labor for a local dealership to repair the car and check the AC work. A few weeks ago I discovered that all the plastic paneling is missing under my driver, and passenger side as well as server chemical stains to the front and rear passenger carpet. The dealership I'm working with here was notified, but GM doesn't seem to care. The current estimate of damages is over $3000, and the AC cannot be looked at until approval is received from GM. GM closed the trouble ticket, without my permission, and stated it was wear and tear. My response was my Chevy Camaro is 5 years old with 30,000 miles, is it that poorly made? I am very disappointed in both dealerships and GMs lack of customer support and service. I have filed a BBB complaint and Red River has failed to respond to the complaint. Talked to our legal department and there best suggestion was pay out of pocket, take leave, and file a small claims in hopes of it being resolved. Since the amount of damage cannot be estimated and I can't take time off. This has been one of the worse experiences of my life. Has anyone had any experiences like this? Any suggestions on what I could do to get my car fixed? Any help is greatly appreciated.
scubachic2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:54 PM   #2
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
Your talking about a problem that started two years ago. It's going to be hard to hold people accountable for stuff that was let go for so long. Proving they scratched it is impossible as well- dealers deal with people all the time who claim damage and the vast majority are just trying to scam some free repairs. I have HD cameras and have had LOTS of people demand free stuff until they are caught. Dealers always approach that with skepticism, then add a long period of time- I doubt you'll get anywhere.
Whatever dealer had it last is the one you need to talk to. The first dealer admitted to damage, but you didn't give them the chance to make it right. Sounds like an enormous fustercluck... but the fact so much time has passed works against you.
Hopefully you can get somewhere if you start with the LAST dealer who had it and ask them to make it right. There's no warranty on a car that old, so that works against you as well.
I wish I could be of some help, but as harsh as it sounds- GM isn't responsible for damage a dealer did to your car and your statement about being poor quality is rather unsporting, as you said the dealers did the damage.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, damage, help me, service