Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 01-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
StainTrain416

Drives: 2012 Black Camaro V6
In the market for FI!!

Hey guys,
I don't post a lot but I wanted to bring this up because since Im looking and FI options because i will likely buy sometime this year (hopefully before summer). Since i will be paying a lot of money to add a super or turbocharger I want to make sure I get what's right for me and my car. Obviously this is the best place to get input so here goes.

I'm a die hard turbo fan, absolutely love the feel. But I have never been in a supercharged car so I can't give an opinion.
I am a sucker for the sling your head back feel.
I also would like to keep my gas mileage as high as I can which I know turbos help with that but I'm not sure about superchargers considering they are belt drivin.
Also, this is my daily driver so I want it to be reliable BUT ALSO be 400+ rwhp and remain as reliable as possible.
I've done all of research on the kits available and I'm a big fan of the HPS kit.

So based on what I've said what would be the best route to go?
StainTrain416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
I have the IPF supercharger kit on my LLT and love it. It is a OEM looking kit and the tune is the closest I have seen to the OEM. The gas mileage on the highway is slightly better than before and the city mileage is usuall the same as before (if you can stay off the gas). I preferred the SC over the turbo based on the install of the turbo being more invasive.
This car is my almost daily driver, as recent 0 degrees and snow I have used the subby, but it is a extremely reliable setup.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
StainTrain416

Yeah that's what's gonna hurt the MPG is havin a heavy foot! Haha
I just love turbos and the sound o the blow off valve but feel like muscle cars (I know it's not a v8, but still) are known to have superchargers. Know what I mean?
Old 01-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Let me ask you this, who's going to be doing the install?

Since you have a 2012, you have the advantage of having an ECU that programs like hp tuners and efi live can get into.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Don't think you will be diappointed with the HPS solution.

This thread may provide some additional information.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115679
Old 01-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
StainTrain416

Well I live pretty close to HPS which is another reason I was considering them very high on my list but lscamaro would you mind elaborating a bit?
Old 01-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
lscamaro

Since you live pretty close to HPS, I would definitely go with their kit. I mean superchargers are good and all but they just don't make the torque turbos do. And if you're already a fan of turbos to begin with then even better.

What I meant about the tuning is that the 2010-2011 ECU was a pain in the butt to crack and get a tune for. That's the main reason you see mostly v6 cars tuned by trifecta. They were the only ones to be able to do it for quite some time. Until recently that ipf cracked it.

Well the 2012 LFX came with a more tuner friendly ECU that can be more easily read by other programs and tuned by tuners other than trifecta and IPF. I would personally go to HPS, have them do their kit and have them tune on it on their dyno. I know they just posted a thread a little while ago about a twin build they were doing for another v6 from California.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
StainTrain416

Ohhh I understand what you were trying to say now.

But that was honestley the biggest reason I wanted to go with them bc I could get them to tune to their own product. And they obviously know it better than anyone. I would love the TT setup but i won't have that kind of cash to play with (college student). And also do you think the psi run to produce the 400+ hp on their single kit is safe to run as a daily driver? Because I plan on keeping this car untill I die, so I don't want to tear things up. I would much rather sacrifice a little extra horsepower for many more years without screwing things up eventually.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #9
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainTrain416 View Post

But that was honestley the biggest reason I wanted to go with them bc I could get them to tune to their own product. And they obviously know it better than anyone. I would love the TT setup but i won't have that kind of cash to play with (college student). And also do you think the psi run to produce the 400+ hp on their single kit is safe to run as a daily driver? Because I plan on keeping this car untill I die, so I don't want to tear things up. I would much rather sacrifice a little extra horsepower for many more years without screwing things up eventually.
If Hunter V6 doesn't chime in here, PM him. He's making 400+ RWHP on the LLT. I think the tuning will be easier with the E39 ECU and the extra fuel capacity of the LFX will make it that much safer. Beleive me, you will love the feel. The twin turbos Cant_C_Me is, and I was, running at about the same peak HP were are real kick in the but. I can't even imagine how fast the single turbo spools up.

Haven't met Chris, but he's has several builds for members of C5 and I haven't heard anything bad about him. I'm not pushing one vendor over another, they have all done us V6 guys well, but he's right next door and it sounds like exactly what you are looking for. PM him if you haven't already and pick his brain.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #10
lscamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainTrain416 View Post

I didn't mean get the twins, my bad. I just mentioned that they had that car there. I too am a college student but am going a different route on my FI "quest". But I think a single turbo will do you quite nicely. It will spool incredibly fast and produce great power. And as gretchen said, the extra fuel of the LFX will make it safer

Old 01-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #11
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
twin snails FTW. Also running the same boost on a sc and a turbo will yield different hp results.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III
Old 01-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #12
StainTrain416

Yeah that another reason the turbo was higher up on the list because it produces more hp and torque per pound of pressure if I'm not mistaking, correct? This way I can run a lower boost if I want to to make sure it stays within my reliability criteria. And I ruled out the STS immediately because I want to be able to pop my hood and show off my animal! Hahaha ��
Also turbos have a much higher ceiling and room to improve!
Old 01-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #13
hunterv6
Always bet on Black

Drives: 2011 turbo LS, 2012 f 150,
I can say I am enjoy my kit the only problem is the weak clutch but I don't want to be bias. If your considering turbos hps and rx ( @ one time I would have said sts to but the more I read about them the worst it gets) is the only way to go they both have singles and twins and like most have said tuning will be a lot easy that you have a 2012. But keep in mind that adding either you will probably need supporting mods for traction. And clutch if it a manual or torque converter if automatic as far as it being a dd well lets just say my car is not anymore the turbo change that because I like it to much to drive daily, but I think it would make a good dd. also the mpg are around 30 when cruising 65 to 70. As far as drag times I need to improve my skill I am better on two wheels so my times are not what they should be will be work on that soon. But if you what pm me I will try to answer any question you have.

Sent from my iPad2 on space mountain
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283263</font>
hunterv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #14
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
We have done more with the 3.6 DI motors than any other tuner shop in the US and can do front mount SC, single turbo, twin turbo, and top mount is nearly ready to release.

Watch the videos:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259858

We also make or offer a ton of products to compliment the 3.6DI motors.

Give us a call to discuss the options. 941-721-1826
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote