Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-24-2022, 06:03 PM   #1
rbiehl

Drives: '23 ZL1 Riverside Blue M6
Dealership Damage - Feedack needed from anyone in my situation

All,

I need some feedback from any of you that have been in in a situation like I will describe below.

• My 2018 Chevrolet ZL1 was in for warranty service recently.
• An dealership employee had an accident in the car riding over a 6” curb while on a test drive
• The same employee proceeded to conceal, attempt to repair the damage, and repaint my front splitter in the parking lot at a local park/recreation center parking lot. He drove to the park/recreation center twice all while my front left tire was flat.
• A dealership porter then delivered the car to me while driving on a flat tire with all warning lights on the dash telling them that the tire was flat. (My car was in an unsafe condition)
• I did NOT consent to any of this additional repair work nor working on my vehicle in a public park
• The current damage estimate is +$16k.
• I have everything captured on video through the PDR that I put in valet mode before I handed the keys over to the dealership.

I am interested in hearing from anyone that has been in this situation and what compensation, in addition to just repairing the car, was worked out with the dealership. I would like to be able to PM you to talk about your situation. I am talking to an attorney and weighing my options but would like to get some real world examples if possible.

Thanks,

Richard
Attached Images

rbiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 06:16 PM   #2
Chippy
BanHamWatch

Drives: 21 ZL1 1LE
I hope someone here has the legal knowledge you need that sucks! On another note I didn’t realize the PDR would automatically start recording after the car had been shut off if left in valet mode.
Old 04-24-2022, 06:20 PM   #3
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
1st thing is id make a back up of the video.

2nd, obviously id make a call and request to speak with the service manager and talk about how they are going to make this right. **personally, id leave out that you got video proof right off the bat, just to see their integrity.

If the manager says anything except what you want to hear, request a meeting with the dealership owner and contact an attorney

*wouldn't hurt to bring that copy of the video.

As far as "what else" for compensation, ehh.. they aren't really going to do much. What are you expecting?
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 06:23 PM   #4
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Something to consider, even after the dealership repairs it to your liking, it's going to most likely show up on Carfax as an "Accident" and will greatly lower the price of your car if you should ever trade it in.

My personal thoughts, I'd tell the dealership "look you damaged my property and then one of your employees tried to conceal the damage. I'd like for you to get me a 2023, optioned out identical to mine, you're going to give me the best market value you can for my trade-in, and you're going to only charge me MSRP for the 2023, otherwise this is an attempt to defraud me, and I have no problem contacting a lawyer and the state district attorney on this." Oh and personally, I'd see if they can give you GM supplier or better. The reason I would want this is because sure they may fix it, but it'll always be gnawing at you that they tore up your splitter. Oh and I'd make copies of what you have, and you may even threaten to post the images up on social media. I know it sounds harsh, but this is IF they refuse to do right by you. Sadly, I've been in way too many situations like this where the responsible party doesn't want to do right by me and my first reaction is to press them, and press them hard. Good luck, and as I stated I'd ask for something more than just the fix because if it shows up on Carfax, that's going to cost you quite a bit in resale.
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 06:32 PM   #5
Jofu

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry ZL1 1LE
OUCH.

I would recommend something similar to AZIROC suggested, although I might personally first disclosed that "it has come to my attention that your car was involved in an accident while in their possession", without yet disclosing to them you got actual footage of it. I'm hoping this would bypass the inevitable and initial denial of the facts, and go straight to step 2

If damages are as bad as you stated, then I personally would push for a buy-back of the car and a like replacement at their cost. I know most will state this is unreasonable, and it may be... but keep in mind that a recent incident involving a C8 at Fremont Chevrolet here in the SF Bay Area being driven at 100mph+ in crowded streets being plastered all over the internet resulted in the dealership doing just that for the customer.

That's a bit of a nuclear option though... But I'd keep that in my back pocket if they're not playing straight.

Good luck!

Geoff
Jofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 06:34 PM   #6
Jofu

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry ZL1 1LE
TXCSSU beat me to the punch, similar advice

Geoff
Jofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 06:51 PM   #7
Newcastle

Drives: 2022 2 SS 1LE on order ....now a 23
Wow I hope my order is accepted with PDR. I gave the green light to scratch it if my order could be accepted without it.
Newcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 07:09 PM   #8
rbiehl

Drives: '23 ZL1 Riverside Blue M6
I should have given some more information as to the ongoing conversation.

The dealership currently has agreed to repair the car or buy my car back for $60k. It is an auto, PDR, sunroof, CF Hood insert, w 8" Touch screen with 19k miles. I wanted to move myself up on the Z06 order list and place an order.

They aren't wanting to even comit to talk about the Z06 order. They want to treat it as a separate conversation. I really dont want to go nuclear by posting all the videos but it wouldn't look good given what the mechanic was doing in a public park trying to conceal damage.

I do have the videos backed up and the SD card stored away. They are aware of the videos as I have showed them the extent of the effort their employee did to cover up the damage.

I don't feel comfortable agreeing to the $60k buyback until i figure out about a new order.

Thanks,

Richard

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
rbiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 07:19 PM   #9
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Oh and I almost forgot, I had a 2020 full sized truck that my local dealership took in for a taillight recall. They put a small scratch on the fender that looked suspiciously like a spot where the know-nothing tech tried to use a pry tool to pry off the taillight. It was a small scratch, but I saw that it was there. I told the shop about it, and they offered to touch it up but couldn't get it done right. They finally offered to repaint the entire fender, which I thought was a little overkill for the small scratch (maybe 1" and less than 1 mm wide but obvious if you looked for it).

I asked the dealership to see if they could get me into another truck (was actually wanting cooled seats and my truck didn't have that one option) and they said that their service department and their sales department are separate entities and they couldn't make concessions because of the service departments. My small scratch is much less egregious than what they did to your car though, so maybe you can leverage a newer version of your car (with the splitter not broken off).
Old 04-24-2022, 07:23 PM   #10
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbiehl View Post

The dealership currently has agreed to repair the car or buy my car back for $60k. It is an auto, PDR, sunroof, CF Hood insert, w 8" Touch screen with 19k miles. I wanted to move myself up on the Z06 order list and place an order.

They aren't wanting to even comit to talk about the Z06 order. They want to treat it as a separate conversation. I really dont want to go nuclear by posting all the videos but it wouldn't look good given what the mechanic was doing in a public park trying to conceal damage.

I do have the videos backed up and the SD card stored away. They are aware of the videos as I have showed them the extent of the effort their employee did to cover up the damage.

I don't feel comfortable agreeing to the $60k buyback until i figure out about a new order.

Thanks,

Richard

That seems like a generous offer. The only thing I'd do is to make sure it's done as a trade-in for what you want. If you do manage to get your name on the Z06 list, at least make sure that they have a ZL1 replacement for you just in case you don't get that Z06. I'd hate to sell my car and then not have a viable replacement.
Old 04-24-2022, 09:00 PM   #11
Paulie-G

Drives: 2SS 1LE & ZR2
I've had damage done to two cars at dealers for repair.
They fixed the damage and I moved on.
It's like getting in a minor accident where no one is hurt.
You don't get a new car, or a buy back deal.
The vett order has zero to due with the issue.

It will only show you how that dealer is. It's a sales transaction only.

Most people are not car people. That includes your insurance company.
It's a bummer. Good luck.
Paulie-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 09:22 PM   #12
Casper the friendly G
Account Suspended

Drives: 17' Chevy Kamaro SS 6 speed
Quote:
All,

I need some feedback from any of you that have been in in a situation like I will describe below.

• My 2018 Chevrolet ZL1 was in for warranty service recently.
• An dealership employee had an accident in the car riding over a 6” curb while on a test drive
• The same employee proceeded to conceal, attempt to repair the damage, and repaint my front splitter in the parking lot at a local park/recreation center parking lot. He drove to the park/recreation center twice all while my front left tire was flat.
• A dealership porter then delivered the car to me while driving on a flat tire with all warning lights on the dash telling them that the tire was flat. (My car was in an unsafe condition)
• I did NOT consent to any of this additional repair work nor working on my vehicle in a public park
• The current damage estimate is +$16k.
• I have everything captured on video through the PDR that I put in valet mode before I handed the keys over to the dealership.

I am interested in hearing from anyone that has been in this situation and what compensation, in addition to just repairing the car, was worked out with the dealership. I would like to be able to PM you to talk about your situation. I am talking to an attorney and weighing my options but would like to get some real world examples if possible.

Thanks,

Richard

Wow...what a POS!
Casper the friendly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 09:27 PM   #13
Casper the friendly G
Account Suspended

Drives: 17' Chevy Kamaro SS 6 speed
Quote:

Thanks,

Richard

If you want that Z06, then tell them to come up with it or...you will contact your attorney, you will post the complete video online along with the name of the dealership. And let them know you are a member of a large Camaro club.
Casper the friendly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 09:41 PM   #14
cthulhucaller

Drives: 2022 1SS Team Joe and Becky
Sounds like the dealer is making an effort to get you back to where you were, or a little better, especially if they can get an order in pretty quick for you. Good way to make you whole.

I'd think trying to use it to bump up on a z06 list is asking too much.
cthulhucaller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage, dealerships, lawsuit, liability