Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-31-2010, 08:14 PM   #15
vafinest25

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS "Orange Crush"
That's wild and unfortunate to hear that, is this a common occurrence with our cars? Cause if so I won't be doing that in the future.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:50 PM   #16
Steve
Ancalagon The Black

Drives: 2013 Silverado 4X4, 2010 RJT 1SS
The strange thing is that I typically drive this car real easy, probably much easier than most SS owners. It's not to often that I jump in to it, and even rarer that I put it in Competitive Mode. I have never experienced the drag track and was really looking forward to trying it this summer. Now I am skittish to do it, especially if I have to explain how I might have broken a second one should it happen.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:50 PM   #17
DankNuggZ

Drives: 2010 Cyber Metalic Grey 1 SS
Steve - Is that quote from the Silmarilion or something else JRR wrote?
DankNuggZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:54 PM   #18
Steve
Ancalagon The Black

Are you talking about the one below my comments? (the one about the dragon)
Old 07-31-2010, 08:56 PM   #19
DankNuggZ

Yeah - don't find to many Tolkien readers that make it through the Silmarillion
Old 07-31-2010, 09:03 PM   #20
Steve
Ancalagon The Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by DankNuggZ View Post
Steve - Is that quote from the Silmarilion or something else JRR wrote?

DankNuggZ - I have to be open with you about this. I have never named a car before and wanted to come up with something that sounded mystical and powerful. I thought about dragons because I was considering a mural on the hood and found some really cool looking dragons. Ancalagon The Black sounded cool and my research found that he was a bad a$$ dude. The quote I found online when researching him but I really can't tell you where I found it. Finally, I have no middle earth background. I hope this is not a disappointment for you.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:05 PM   #21
DankNuggZ

Not a disappointment - always great to see Tolkien being appreciated
Old 07-31-2010, 09:06 PM   #22
Blackwolf

Drives: 02 Grand Prix, 99 Z71 10 SS/RS
Did you take the "slack" out of the drivetrain before you poured the coals to her?
It's quite a shock to the system if you don't.
"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."
Aaron Gold, About.com

Blackwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:46 PM   #23
Jefe's SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM L99
There was another similar thread to this. It turned out to be the bolts the connect the drive shaft to the yoke.
Jefe's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:51 PM   #24
RipperFox
Grrr!!!

Drives: BLK/IOM '11 2SS/RS
That would very likely it the drive train was not tightened up prior to dropping the clutch. The slack could have done it.

At least it will be done for the 20th if that is the cause.

And we will know its not the car, bolts are easy to fix. Broken yokes and diff's are another story.
3. See rule #1
RipperFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:59 PM   #25
daphatgrant
June '10

Drives: '10 2SS/RS RJT
Sucks man :(, I hope you get her fixed soon .

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
daphatgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:07 PM   #26
BlackenedSS

Drives: 2010 2SS Black on Black Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Broke something tonight! I went out with the family tonight to have dinner and on the way back home had my middle son (29 years old) in the car for the first time. I live a 1/4 mile from the end of my road. I turned on to my road and stopped, placed it in first, put it in competitive mode, and hit the accelerator to the floor. It tac'ed out at 4200 just like it should. I dumped the clutch and there was a BIG bang, and no movement. My car is number 13,279, so I expected to look under the car and see oil dripping out of the tranny along with a busted output shaft. Remember when this was the big concern back during the initial shipments? No oil, and in fact no visible signs of any kind. We roped it and towed it to the garage where I will have the dealership pick it up early next week. My only mod was a CAI intake. No tune or exhaust mods done. This was only the second time I tried the Launch Control (once last year and first time this year). I am not sure the Camaro is up to that capability?

This stinks as I need it by August 20th for the factory luncheon event/weekend.
Please let me know if it was the flange bolts. Tat is what broke on mine three weeks ago under sam conditions. And if thats what it is be prepaired for a looooooooooooooooong wait. Good luck
BlackenedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:15 PM   #27
BlackenedSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shields View Post
HAHA, damn straight.

I don't think it's what caused your problem. But If I were you and had some warranty work ahead of me, I'd remove any bolt on upgrades so as to reduce the chances that they'll come back and tell me they wont fix it. If they really want to save money, they may just say, "that's what did it" even if it's far fetched. I personally wouldn't want the hassle even if I could explain it, 10 forum members here, and a panel of judges in a court. Return it to stock, hand it back and go, "I have no idea what happened".
No, we need to quit being afraid of the waranty crap....the car can't handle the power they gave it from time to time. I for one am disaponted at Chevy for the lack of strength in the drive train. Dosen't mater how much power you have under the hood if you cant use it with confidence
Old 07-31-2010, 10:27 PM   #28
BlackenedSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipperFox View Post
That would very likely it the drive train was not tightened up prior to dropping the clutch. The slack could have done it.

At least it will be done for the 20th if that is the cause.

And we will know its not the car, bolts are easy to fix. Broken yokes and diff's are another story.
The problem is that they dont just replace the bolts. They replace the drive shaft, flanges and bolts. And they are hard to get iv'e been waiting over two weeks and they still don't know when it will be. Seems like they should see that these bolts are not strong enough for the car and offer a better option for replacement. There realy is nothing special about them, seem pretty cheap actually.