Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 08-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #15
jcieutat

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
I switched over from a 2012 Mustang GT with the brembo brake pkg which has a 3:73 rear end. I have to be completely honest here, the Mustang did feel faster in a straight line. When it comes to these cars it seems to be manufacturer preference. Nobody wants to admit that these cars are close in almost every category. For a track car, yeah our 1LE's beat a standard Mustang GT. You have to compare the 1LE to a Boss 302 to get a fair comparison. As far as modifications go, the Mustang has twice the aftermarket parts/accessories available vs. the Camaro which still puzzles me.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #16
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcieutat View Post
I switched over from a 2012 Mustang GT with the brembo brake pkg which has a 3:73 rear end. I have to be completely honest here, the Mustang did feel faster in a straight line. When it comes to these cars it seems to be manufacturer preference. Nobody wants to admit that these cars are close in almost every category. For a track car, yeah our 1LE's beat a standard Mustang GT. You have to compare the 1LE to a Boss 302 to get a fair comparison. As far as modifications go, the Mustang has twice the aftermarket parts/accessories available vs. the Camaro which still puzzles me.
I'd have to challenge that last sentence. We've got tons of quality parts out there from a lot of great companies, and they cover the entire drivetrain. Can you clarify why you think the Mustang has more aftermarket?
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #17
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Hi jcieutat,
I have your same consfiguration a 5.0 with a 3.73 std. Transmission. Please send me a PM, I want to know if its wort it to trade mine for the 1LE
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #18
Mmar88

Drives: 2013 BRM 2SS/RS/1LE/NPP/NAV
As a track car shouldn't they be compared to the GT500? Closer times to the 1LE I think
Mmar88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #19
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by larietrope View Post
Have a friend who is leaning towards a Mustang GT. After driving my 1LE he is still up in the air about what to do.
He is convinced the Mustang is the better straight line performer as he's not interested in cornering ability.
Give me some ammunition that maybe I haven't thought of to keep him from the dark side.
He wants an automatic no less.
Thanks.
If all your friend wants is a straight line performer, then the Mustang 5.0 Auto is the car to buy. It is much faster than a 1LE in the 1/4. Why would you want your friend to buy a car he will not be happy with?
Old 08-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #20
willc1980

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
1LE laps faster than a Boss 302 Laguna Seca
willc1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #21
willc1980

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
If all your friend wants is a straight line performer, then the Mustang 5.0 Auto is the car to buy. It is much faster than a 1LE in the 1/4. Why would you want your friend to buy a car he will not be happy with?
watch the video i posted above, they are a dead tie in the 1/4
willc1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #22
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc1980 View Post
watch the video i posted above, they are a dead tie in the 1/4
Cool video even though it's MT. They should have compared the Boss though.

That was a six speed, GT Autos are faster and much more consistent. But show me a 1LE that can run 12.4 in the 1/4 dead stock. My friend's '13 base GT auto ran a 12.4 at Atco last fall. Now is running consistent 12.2s with only a CAI, tune, and DRs. With just a converter easy 11s.

It is easy to see why:
Mustang GT base: < 3,600 lbs, 420 HP
Camaro 1LE > 3,800 lbs, 426 HP

I love my 1LE and chose a Camaro twice over a Mustang in the current generation. But 5.0 Mustangs with equal driver: 5.0 > 1LE at the drag strip. Not a big deal unless being fast in the 1/4 is your top priority. It's not mine. But the OP says it is his friends top priority.

Now I'm not calling MT liars, just sloppy. But where are the 12 second stock 1LE time slips here in the real world? So far I have only seen one. You can see MT is not testing at a real drag strip. So I would take that 1LE 12.7 with a grain of salt. And you can see that GT is wheel hopping. You can get a better launch out of a GT than that.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #23
jcieutat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I'd have to challenge that last sentence. We've got tons of quality parts out there from a lot of great companies, and they cover the entire drivetrain. Can you clarify why you think the Mustang has more aftermarket?
Take a look at americanmuscle.com, latemodelrestoration.com or cjponyparts.com and tell me that there is an online Camaro vendor that can compare to these? Maybe it is just that the Mustang is easier to modify (cosmetically and performance).
Old 08-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #24
ModBargains.com

Drives: Widebody 2013 Mustang GT
Quote:
Take a look at americanmuscle.com, latemodelrestoration.com or cjponyparts.com and tell me that there is an online Camaro vendor that can compare to these? Maybe it is just that the Mustang is easier to modify (cosmetically and performance).
We sell both Camaro and Mustang parts. There are way more parts made for Mustang than there are Camaro when you look at them in total for sure.
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #25
bgallegos

Drives: 2013 1LE
I recently traded my 5.0 (2013 3.73 and brembos)for my 1le,and I'm totally happy with it. its slower in a straight line for sure but the 1le just feels better.
bgallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #26
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallegos View Post
I recently traded my 5.0 (2013 3.73 and brembos)for my 1le,and I'm totally happy with it. its slower in a straight line for sure but the 1le just feels better.
Thanks for the feedback, same situation here
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #27
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
The 1LE is a "driver's" car. Once the Mustang comes out with IRS it will be a whole new ball game though. But Chevy will be there to with the 6th gen.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #28
jcieutat

After reading about the 2015 Mustang, I am getting a little excited. I hope Chevy answers them because it is going to be pretty damn impressive car.