Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Plenum Spacer!!!

Hope I got your attention. Just want to know what gains to expect with a Plenum Spacer along with my already installed Ported TB?
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
No documented increase that I'm aware of, but we are sure there is less timing advance being "pulled" by the ECM because of perceived knock, which should translate into greater peak output.

your next mod with the best bang for your buck would be an IM spacer like Mace 25mm or Black Iceolator.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
Goo

Drives: Cayman S
Would I pay $130-$175 for one? no.
$20 to make one yourself? yes.

IM Spacer is worth every penny of the $150...
Goo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:11 AM   #4
shrinkdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
No documented increase that I'm aware of, but we are sure there is less timing advance being "pulled" by the ECM because of perceived knock, which should translate into greater peak output.

your next mod with the best bang for your buck would be an IM spacer like Mace 25mm or Black Iceolator.
Ok...so how much gain can I expect with the IM spacer with my PTB?
Old 06-12-2012, 01:57 AM   #5
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Do you drag race at tracks and such? It helps so much since it keeps the car cooler while waiting in line. Also, there's a 15 tq increase down low. You can really feel the pull

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
The VMax plenum spacer does not much of any power gains, but does reduce the amount of spark knock when logging so that is an advantage, but the Iceolator or IM spacer/insulators are 20 rwhp & 25-28 rwtq from it alone so $ spent for gains, the IM insulators are by far the best bang for the buck from either manufacturer. You wont regret getting it.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
TheBlack-CyberGray-Pearl

Drives: 2011 Cyber Gray Camaro
DEFIANTLY get the IM spacer. I think everyone agrees that everyone's butt dyno is different, but i swear i felt my RX Black ice IM insulator more than my long tube headers... but that's just me. Either IM spacer is an amazing buy.

I haven't pulled the trigger on a plenum because after reading all the posts, threads, and reviews, i still haven't found a reason to buy it. I'm still open to for someone to talk me into it though
Old 06-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlack-CyberGray-Pearl View Post
DEFIANTLY get the IM spacer. I think everyone agrees that everyone's butt dyno is different, but i swear i felt my RX Black ice IM insulator more than my long tube headers... but that's just me. Either IM spacer is an amazing buy.

I haven't pulled the trigger on a plenum because after reading all the posts, threads, and reviews, i still haven't found a reason to buy it. I'm still open to for someone to talk me into it though
like tracy said...if you monitor your KR, you'll see that the timing pulled due to KR is reduced across the RPM range. generally speaking, more timing = more power. when you pull timing you lose power...that is the simplest way to explain it.

the plenum spacer adds volume to the plenum. more volume = slower moving air which in turn distributes air better to ALL the cylinders. cylinders 1 & 2 have a tendency to run rich because air rushes past them and cylinders 5 & 6 run leaner because the slows down at the back of the plenum. air doesn't like to bend around corners when its moving slow...and even less when moving fast. the cylinder draws more air in because the air is more willing change direction as it slows down.

remember, there is more to performance than just a HP number on a piece of paper...like throttle response or eliminating KR. water injection kits are not power adders, but they help increase performance:
Detonation, in any engine, should always be avoided by either lowering inlet temperatures, using higher octane fuel, retarding ignition (hence lowering engine output), lowering engine blow-by (a situation in which high crankcase pressure sends oil fumes back inside the combustion chamber), running the engine a little richer than at the stoechiometric ratio, lowering the compression ratio and/or boost pressure, ... .
Water injection is used to lower in-cylinder temperatures and burn the air/fuel mixture more efficiently thus helping avoid detonation.

by decreasing/eliminating premature detonation, you can advance timing, more fuel/air, and create more power.

you may not get the "seat of your pants" results your looking for with each mod but at least you'll know you'r getting the maximum gains from the investments you've already made by monitoring your ECU. you may spend $100-300 for a mod...but unless you monitor your AFR, timing(KR), LTFT's/STFT's, IAT's, etc...then you'll never really know what its true value is.

Last edited by hapisok; 06-13-2012 at 05:59 AM.
hapisok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #9
bambam72_1999

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Convertible
RWHP disappointment

I have a question. I have a Vararam intake, ported TB, lack iceolator, bbk lt headers, corsa catback exhaust and a Trifecta tune and only picked up 21 rwhp over stock? Where is all the power that I should be making with this amount of bolt ons? Can someone please give some insight into why roughly $3500 in bolt ons only picked me up 21 RWHP???
bambam72_1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #10
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Good post Hap. The need for 93 octaine is critical as well. We had a customer on the dyno and almost NO gains....after looking at all the timing being pulled we asked if he may have gotten some bad fuel....come to find out he was running 87!!!! Crazy!!

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
bambam72_1999

I am running 93 Octane and Vince has looked at 2 sets of data logs and says its right for the car. I am just frustrated to have spent that much money on "PERFORMANCE" mods to only gain 21 rwhp!
Old 06-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #12
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam72_1999 View Post
I am running 93 Octane and Vince has looked at 2 sets of data logs and says its right for the car. I am just frustrated to have spent that much money on "PERFORMANCE" mods to only gain 21 rwhp!
Are you comparing the 21 rwhp from a current dyno run to a previous stock dyno run you did? If so, were they the same dynos, same temps, etc.?

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #13
bambam72_1999

Yes same dyno, a little cooler actually on the mod runs, and they were both uncorrected results.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #14
shrinkdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam72_1999 View Post
I have a question. I have a Vararam intake, ported TB, lack iceolator, bbk lt headers, corsa catback exhaust and a Trifecta tune and only picked up 21 rwhp over stock? Where is all the power that I should be making with this amount of bolt ons? Can someone please give some insight into why roughly $3500 in bolt ons only picked me up 21 RWHP???
I am probably close to that with nowhere near your bolt ons or tune.