Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 09-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
richard200593

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary RS
Just rode In a '14 mustang...

My uncle just bought a 2014 premium package v6 mustang, and I wanted to get a ride to see how I felt about it. I've always been a ford guy until my camaro the exterior styling was/is unmatchable by any other car as far as I'm concerened. The biggest thing I noticed with the mustang is to me it just didn't feel like a sports car it felt like a mid sized luxury car. I often feel very confined in my camaro the line of sight sucks, the hood is lengthy and hard to see over, there is little space to move around and look at the interior or back seat, and trunk space is not there. But to me all those things are what make it a sports car. I don't want to feel open and feel like the car is doing the work, I want to feel edgy and feel like I'm in control of a beast even if I am only doing 65 on the highway. I think ford did a great job on the mustang, it's stylish open and impressively quick but it just feels like a sedan.Theres no doubt in my mind,ill be keeping my Camaro.
Zl1 factory Reproduction wheels
Bmr 1.2/1.4 springs/Oracle plasma drl lights, footwell ambient lighting, 45th Gobo lights
*Audio:
Memphis pr600 amp/Fosgate 12" t0 sub/******** stealth box
richard200593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
87GNX

Drives: Alot
Drive a 5.0. You will change your mind.
87GNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
richard200593

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVmyZL1 View Post
For the record, neither the Mustang nor the Camaro is a sportscar. In fact, between the two, I'd say the Camaro feels more like a sedan than the Mustang does. And it should, considering it is built on a sedan platform.
I knew someone would start the sports car debate.... Didn't think it would be that quickly thou. To me it is a sports car, different eras or people may feel differently and that's fine, on Chevys website, on autotrader, on almost any platform you read the camaro is defined as a sports car and i have to agree with them even if the literal definition is a lightweight highly maneuverable car.
Zl1 factory Reproduction wheels
Bmr 1.2/1.4 springs/Oracle plasma drl lights, footwell ambient lighting, 45th Gobo lights
*Audio:
Memphis pr600 amp/Fosgate 12" t0 sub/******** stealth box
richard200593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Sports car
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

This article is about roadgoing cars. For racing cars, see Sports car racing.

Mazda MX-5, the world's best selling sports car[1]

A sports car (sportscar or sport car) is a small, usually two seat, two door automobile designed for spirited performance and nimble handling.[2] Sports cars may be spartan or luxurious but high maneuverability and minimum weight are requisite.[3]

Pony car
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Not to be confused with the Hyundai Pony car.

1965 Ford Mustang
Pony car is an American class of automobile launched and inspired by the Ford Mustang in 1964.[1][2] The term describes an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image.[3][4]

21st-century revival[edit source]

2005-09 Ford Mustang GT
The dilemma facing automakers in offering pony cars (or their equivalent) going forward is developing a suitable platform that is affordable and capable enough to be viable. Unlike the mid-1960s, the large majority of modern compact cars are front-wheel drive, with four- and six-cylinder engines, and the widespread use of unibody construction makes engineering a specialized body an expensive proposition.

In 2005, Ford introduced a new Mustang based on a dedicated platform. The success of this model inspired Dodge to reintroduce the Challenger in 2008 and Chevrolet to reintroduce the Camaro for 2010, which unlike previous pony cars, were based off a full-size car architecture.

NASCAR brought pony cars to its second-tier Nationwide Series at the Subway Jalepeno 250 at Daytona International Speedway in Daytona, Florida, on Friday, July 2, 2010.[29] Dodge raced its Challenger, and Ford raced the iconic Mustang. The new cars are seen as a move by NASCAR to re-establish brand identity with fans and the cars on the track.[30] The pony cars are expected to make their way to NASCAR's premier Sprint Cup Series in the 2014 season.[31]

Also, silhouettes of the Chevrolet Camaro have competed in the Rolex Sports Car Series, whereas production-based versions of the Camaro, Challenger and Mustang have raced in the SCCA World Challenge and Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge, as well as SCCA and NASA amateur competitions. The Camaro and Mustang have been adapted to GT3 regulations, although not by Chevrolet or Ford themselves.

-------------------------------------------------------

In my opinion, Camaro's, Mustangs and Challengers should not be considered "sports cars" even though they are "sporty" since they are derived from the pony/muscle car class. And most people would argue that today sports performance cars aren't even qualified as "muscle cars" since they aren't stuffed with the large big block motors like the days gone past.

But it is much easier to describe to those uninitiated that the car is a "muscle car/sports car" since these types of cars being produced by Ford, Chevy and Dodge have roots to those vehicles from the past that people associate with.

Whatever definition you use, as long as you're in the right crowd, it will be accepted.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
TrueStreetMotorSports.com

Drives: 2010 F450
Lol
TrueStreetMotorSports.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
TrueStreetMotorSports.com

Drives: 2010 F450
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87GNX View Post
Drive a 5.0. You will change your mind.
Lol
TrueStreetMotorSports.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
I'll make sure to mention the "not a sports car" thing to my insurance man and see if he agrees. .
Old 09-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
Biscuitpie

Drives: '11 Cammed LS3, '14 Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt View Post
Interesting opinion OP. Never really heard anyone disliking being able to see out of a car before. Especially a car that my be driving aggressively in corners. But I agree. The exterior styling is better on the Camaro.
Agreed. When I switched from my Mustang to my Camaro the visibility was very discomforting but I got used to it rather quickly and the blind spots are nonexistant with proper mirror setup. I know a few short women who looked at buying V6s and they couldn't see out of the dash so didn't buy it (our seats are mounted much lower too, which gives it a more "sportscar feel" to some).

SOLD with a Z06 in the not too distant future: Cammed, boltons, axles, lowered, and more. | 476 WHP
Biscuitpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
87GNX

Drives: Alot
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt View Post
Interesting opinion OP. Never really heard anyone disliking being able to see out of a car before. Especially a car that may be driving aggressively in corners. But I agree. The exterior styling is better on the Camaro.
Not really, both cars have their ques....overall I would say the 13' GT looks ever bit as good as a 13 ss overall.
87GNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #10
1sikss

Drives: 2011 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiSSDiver View Post
I'll make sure to mention the "not a sports car" thing to my insurance man and see if he agrees. .
lmao yea tell them its a sedan according to nvmyzl1 lol
1sikss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #11
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
Still a sports car. You can post what ever makes you feel good about feeling right in your eyes. You shouldn't believe everything You read on the Internet. The Camaro and mustang and the challenger are and forever will be a sports car and or if you so choose or do I dare say hotrod!
I don't mean anything by this but where I'm from you can call your car anything you want.
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #12
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
I call my Camaro a hotrod
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #13
HeavyIOM

Drives: 2010 SS, 2000 Pontiac Formula
This comparo seems reversed to me. I feel more like im in a sedan in the Camaro then the mustang.
HeavyIOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #14
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
You guys and your definitions of sports car, muscle car, and pony car. Who gives a shit what wikipedia says.

I say I have a sports car, because it looks sporty and its a fast friggin car, used for racing. And what is car racing? A sport!! So its a sports car.

I say muscle car because thats what I call any american car with a big nasty V8 with a ton of power.

I too have driven and sat in the last few generations/refreshes of the mustang from 2000-2013 and I didnt like the interior feel, or the space at all. I liked my 4th gen better than the mustang of its time, and I like my 5th gen better.

Obviously the power is there, but for me, the looks arent