Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-29-2014, 08:33 PM   #1
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
New 416 c.i. Forged Road Course Engine

Hi guys,

The new power plant is done and tuned. Cannot wait to go to the track.

Here's the Cliff's Notes version of the build:

416 c.i. all-forged stroker LS3
Brian Tooley cam
Baffled Oil Pan
DSS 1,000 HP axles
Runs on 91 octane
Conservative tune

I had Brian Tooley design me a very special cam. I wanted gentle cam lobe profiles to ensure that this engine will withstand hopefully years of hard tracking abuse. I race this car in the NASA ST2/TT2 classes, so I cannot exceed a certain HP level but would benefit from gobs of low end torque. My goal was to not exceed around 515 RWHP, anything higher than that would bump me into the next higher ST1/TT1 class. Well Brian delivered with precision:

514.6 RWHP and 497 RW Ft-Lb (also plotted is a previous build):
Attached Images

Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086

Last edited by Orange Crush 1LE; 10-29-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:44 PM   #2
Orange Crush 1LE

Before hitting the track, I need to protect this beast. It's still somewhat of a mystery why the previous engine let go, so I'm installing a new Aim video and data acquisition system to ensure this new power plant lasts.

For video, I'm using a SmartyCam HD (already use that for my other car, along with a Solo DL).

For data acquisition, my goal is to continuously monitor and record the following. Another big goal is to have bright LED alarms instantly warn me if any of the following fall outside of acceptable:

Oil pressure
Oil temperature
Air-fuel mixture via 2x 02 sensors

For track performance, I'll also record and display:

Throttle
RPM
Speed
Brake pressure
Current lap
Best lap

This system will allow me to perform comparative lap analysis, pretty awesome stuff if you're trying to improve your lap times.

Here's an example of the data that I record in my other car, although in the Camaro it will be much more comprehensive:

The Aim system I'll likely install is:

EVO4 control box with integrated GPS antenna
G-Dash display with LED alarms and RPM shift light LEDs
Datahub to expand number of inputs
KA 0 to 2K brake pressure sensor
oil temp sensor
oil pressure sensor
dual 02 sensors
SmartyCam HD video system
Attached Images

Last edited by Orange Crush 1LE; 10-29-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:38 PM   #3
SSSoon

Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
I'm installing a new Aim video and data acquisition system to ensure this new power plant lasts.For video, I'm using a SmartyCam HD (already use that for my other car, along with a Solo DL).

For data acquisition, my goal is to continuously monitor and record the following. Another big goal is to have bright LED alarms instantly warn me if any of the following fall outside of acceptable:

Oil pressure
Oil temperature
Air-fuel mixture via 2x 02 sensors

For track performance, I'll also record and display:

Throttle
RPM
Speed
Brake pressure
Current lap
Best lap

This system will allow me to perform comparative lap analysis, pretty awesome stuff if you're trying to improve your lap times.

The Aim system I'll likely install is:

EVO4 control box with integrated GPS antenna
G-Dash display with LED alarms and RPM shift light LEDs
Datahub to expand number of inputs
KA 0 to 2K brake pressure sensor
oil temp sensor
oil pressure sensor
dual 02 sensors
SmartyCam HD video system
Wow this sounds pretty cool. I am using an iPhone + Harry's Laptimer to get overlays with track position, rpm, G-force, and speed, but that's about it. It's been frustrating because of problems in IOS that make the camera constantly jump in and out of focus. How much do you figure the Aim system + the Smartycam will cost you, all installed?

The low-tech version of all this is that I'm getting a big gauge mounted right in front of me that has oil temp plus oil pressure (real readings, not computer generated). I've already been read the riot act by my engine builder that if oil pressure drops, PULL OVER AND DO NOT DRIVE BACK TO THE PITS

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:49 PM   #4
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSoon View Post
Wow this sounds pretty cool. I am using an iPhone + Harry's Laptimer to get overlays with track position, rpm, G-force, and speed, but that's about it. It's been frustrating because of problems in IOS that make the camera constantly jump in and out of focus. How much do you figure the Aim system + the Smartycam will cost you, all installed?

The low-tech version of all this is that I'm getting a big gauge mounted right in front of me that has oil temp plus oil pressure (real readings, not computer generated). I've already been read the riot act by my engine builder that if oil pressure drops, PULL OVER AND DO NOT DRIVE BACK TO THE PITS
I used to use Harry's along with an OBD connection and a high speed GPS antenna, the issue I had is that it's unreliable. It errors out often, in my other car it only worked about 1/4 of the time. Nothing worse than having an awesome track session with your buddies only to find out it didn't record. The Aim system is pricey unfortunately, just the components are about $2k. Not for everyone, but I can't afford to replace this engine again.

I like your oil temp / oil pressure gauge idea, that's probably what I'd be doing if I didn't also need the data acquisition and analysis to try to improve lap times. Harry's seemed to work pretty good for my Camaro, just not the Viper.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:03 PM   #5
tw78911sc

Drives: 14 1SS Camaro 1LE, NPP, Recaros
Viper is a full BEAST torque monster!
tw78911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:16 PM   #6
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:

By the way, I just read your sig. Nice build! Arrington LS7 with a dry sump, should be a force to be reckoned with. I wanted to go dry sump but gave up after not finding a well thought out solution for the Camaro.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:19 PM   #7
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw78911sc View Post
Viper is a full BEAST torque monster!
The Viper is fun, but this Camaro is no slouch with nearly the same torque as the Viper. Plus, the gearing on the Viper is tall (64 MPH in first gear!). For the track, I prefer the Camaro's 3.91s and short 18" Hoosiers. It just squats, hooks and rockets out of the corners.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:47 AM   #8
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Hi guys,

The new power plant is done and tuned. Cannot wait to go to the track.

Here's the Cliff's Notes version of the build:

416 c.i. all-forged stroker LS3
Brian Tooley cam
Baffled Oil Pan
DSS 1,000 HP axles
Runs on 91 octane
Conservative tune

I had Brian Tooley design me a very special cam. I wanted gentle cam lobe profiles to ensure that this engine will withstand hopefully years of hard tracking abuse. I race this car in the NASA ST2/TT2 classes, so I cannot exceed a certain HP level but would benefit from gobs of low end torque. My goal was to not exceed around 515 RWHP, anything higher than that would bump me into the next higher ST1/TT1 class. Well Brian delivered with precision:

514.6 RWHP and 497 RW Ft-Lb (also plotted is a previous build):
I might suggest you step the injectors up to ZL-1 54 lb Your injectors are taxed.

Also Get the AFR to a Flat 12.0.

I suspect your not running Cats?

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:50 AM   #9
SSSoon

Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
Quote:
I used to use Harry's along with an OBD connection and a high speed GPS antenna, the issue I had is that it's unreliable. It errors out often, in my other car it only worked about 1/4 of the time. Nothing worse than having an awesome track session with your buddies only to find out it didn't record.
How about that. I have been experiencing the same thing and just assumed that it was something about my particular setup that was the problem. Yeah, I hate how it just fails to record sometimes.

Quote:
By the way, I just read your sig. Nice build! Arrington LS7 with a dry sump, should be a force to be reckoned with. I wanted to go dry sump but gave up after not finding a well thought out solution for the Camaro.
Thanks. We took out the A/C so the Dailey pan could fit, and are putting a 3 gallon oil tank in the trunk. Not a pretty solution but it sure is going to work well! Build thread if you're interested: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375392

Pete

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:07 AM   #10
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Couldnt copy the Z28 dry sump?

Also I believe the Moreno Bros are running a dry sump on their G5.R/cleaning the clutter in our engine bay car
Old 10-30-2014, 11:08 AM   #11
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I might suggest you step the injectors up to ZL-1 54 lb Your injectors are taxed.

Also Get the AFR to a Flat 12.0.

I suspect your not running Cats?

Ted.
Thanks Ted.

It does have oversized injectors, the builder didn't specify the size he went to. Do you see something that concerns you on the AFR plot?

I'm running ARH longtubes and high flow cats.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:15 AM   #12
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Thanks Ted.

It does have oversized injectors, the builder didn't specify the size he went to. Do you see something that concerns you on the AFR plot?

I'm running ARH longtubes and high flow cats.
Good on the injectors but would ask what they are.

AFR heads toward 12.5:1 up top in a short dyno pull.

Get it to stay Flat at 12.0:1 to keep the valves cool and stay out of Detonation.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:28 AM   #13
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Thanks. We took out the A/C so the Dailey pan could fit, and are putting a 3 gallon oil tank in the trunk. Not a pretty solution but it sure is going to work well! Build thread if you're interested: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375392

Pete
Holy cow, that's an insanely cool build! I don't dare subscribe or I will be buying all kinds of new goodies for my beast too! Most of my friends think I'm nuts already, haha. Although I will likely be putting in a full cage soon. My roll bar's sufficient for time trials but for wheel to wheel, NASA requires a cage.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:33 AM   #14
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Couldnt copy the Z28 dry sump?

Also I believe the Moreno Bros are running a dry sump on their G5.R/cleaning the clutter in our engine bay car
I've heard mixed things about the Z/28 dry sump. Good for mild use but not sufficient for a hardcore track car with a wing and slicks. Then again, it'd probably be better than the baffled oil pan I'm running.

I'm going to log oil pressure and oil temperature and see if I need to upgrade to a true dry sump. Hopefully all I need at this point is a large oil cooler. I have a few cool-weather track events before the dead of summer hits to gather data and think about this.