Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-26-2021, 10:36 AM   #1
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
Trunk release is possessed

So, recently happened and is getting progressively worse. Hit the button for the trunk release from my drivers door, and it will click multiple times, sometimes the trunk lid will release - sometimes not. Then other times, if it did release, the lid will not latch when closing it. I have to push the button a couple more times to get the 'cycle' back in line, if that makes sense. Any thoughts on what is causing this? The button itself? Actuator within the locking mechanism, if there is one..? help...? Thanks
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:54 AM   #2
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Shoot a little WD40 in there and see if it helps, if so a little white lithium wouldn't hurt.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:57 AM   #3
kmarshall2121

Not sure that's it - what is making it click multiple times?
Old 05-26-2021, 11:02 AM   #4
xstuntman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarshall2121 View Post
Not sure that's it - what is making it click multiple times?
Its dirty, gummed up, and the body module is still trying to unlock would be my guess.
WD40 will wash it out and temporarily give it some lube.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
Old 05-26-2021, 12:42 PM   #5
SSFury
My Road Rage is Legendary

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS "Fury"
Mine does this occasionally as well. Will try some white lithium.
Old 05-26-2021, 01:16 PM   #6
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
If it clicks, the button is doing its job, looks like the mechanism is gumming up.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 02:10 PM   #7
joekono

Drives: Camaro Convertible 2014 1LT
I can tell you first hand about this "button" because I just dealt with it this past weekend when I installed my yellow interior trim kit(pictures soon of the kit install). As for your issue, that was the only switch that I had an issue with when I had the door panel off and I had to pull it apart to get the wire harness to release. This gave me an idea of how the button works. When you press down, there is a rubber piece that "springs" back and forth with a round metal contact that activates the circuit when you press down. I can say, the rubber piece is a little flimsy and it had to be perfectly lined up when I closed the switch. There's a good chance that it gets "stuck" in the contact position when you push it down or vice versa because it is starting to rip. Now the idiot in me noticed after I installed the kit that my mirrors were not moving and of course I forgot to plug in that connector. I can take a door panel off of a Gen5 pretty fast now . Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 05-29-2021, 07:25 AM   #8
JD555

Drives: 2014 2SS RS, 6 sp man
Are the little springs that pop it open still there? They look like switches and should be 2. Mine keep popping inside the truck lid cover. I used to take it off to get them out now I just pry the cover up and they fall out and I stick them back in the hole.
JD555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:29 PM   #9
kmarshall2121

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD555 View Post
Are the little springs that pop it open still there? They look like switches and should be 2. Mine keep popping inside the truck lid cover. I used to take it off to get them out now I just pry the cover up and they fall out and I stick them back in the hole.
has nothing to do with those - the mechanism keeps clicking, and occasionally when it does, it stcks in the unlocked position and the trunk lid wont close. I have to cycle through by pressing the button again a few times...

Update: seems the WD40 trick worked. Must have been gummed up, or sticking somehow... Thanks!
Old 06-02-2021, 03:52 PM   #10
xstuntman

Good to hear.
What did we do before WD40?
Old 06-03-2021, 08:07 AM   #11
ElderJ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstuntman View Post
Good to hear.
What did we do before WD40?
Spit
ElderJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:03 PM   #12
Fogey

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6, IOM
Thought this thread might be about my cars possessed trunk. Periodically I get into it in the garage and find from the dash that the trunk is open though I know I closed it the last time I used the car. I assumed it was my fob getting pushed while in my pocket. Today I walked behind it in swim trunks, no pockets, no fob and the trunk popped open.
The only thing I can think of is that it is picking up a random signal from somewhere on our street.
It never happens with the doors. Just the trunk.
Fogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:01 AM   #13
Car Nation Videos
YouTube-Car Nation Videos

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro
Weak battery Caused my trunk to act up. Replaced the battery and now it works perfect.
Car Nation Videos is offline   Reply With Quote