Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-15-2021, 08:59 AM   #1
nbostaph

Drives: Yellow 2014 2SS Convertible
Anyone used that Halo tilt hood kit, and would it be a viable alternative to pins?

I'm going back and forth on getting a VIS CF Terminator GT hood. I love the look. I hate the cost . And where everything falls with the hood pin decision may sway me towards either pulling the trigger or skipping it.

I have a strong dislike for pins. The aerocatch pins are better, but I still really don't like them, and I'm worried about damaging the hood with all the cutting required.

Then I came across the Halo Reverse Tilt Hood Kit. It uses a joining plate to attach a front hinge where the stock latch would normally go, which seems like it would provide a lot of extra support. Then two latches are added in the back as opposed to just the one in front. And in the case of a latch failure it seems like wind resistance would keep the hood pressed down instead of throwing it into the windshield. So it feels like a viable alternative to pins, but I really have no expertise to support that feeling.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this kit? Has anyone used it? Any thoughts from someone with more engineering knowledge than me on if this would replace the need for hood pins with an aftermarket CF hood?
Old 06-15-2021, 10:10 AM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
I would contact the hood supplier and see what they say. I would be surprised if there is enough reinforcement at the new hood location to support it.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:14 AM   #3
nbostaph

Drives: Yellow 2014 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
I would contact the hood supplier and see what they say. I would be surprised if there is enough reinforcement at the new hood location to support it.
I did start there, but unfortunately manufacturers are usually less than helpful in this sort of situation. All they told me was:

Quote:
I am fairly sure this would work, but I am unsure if the shocks may be too strong for the hood.
So they can't guarantee anything and I doubt they had an engineer pull of the specs on that reverse tilt kit and even verify it could connect properly. I figure I have a fair amount of research in my future, but it seemed prudent to start with any personal experiences others have had and issues they may have run into.

When you said there may not be enough reinforcement, do you mean at the new attachment point for the shocks? That's on my list to dig into, but it looks like a lot of the weight is going to be supported by the connector plate that attaches at the stock latch location.
Old 06-15-2021, 01:05 PM   #4
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
I'm referring to the hinge/latch point. That area will see loads that it isn't designed for and while carbon fiber is strong, it isn't as forgiving as metal.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:20 AM   #5
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
I know a few guys running carbon hoods with the tilt kit with no issues, this would work to eliminate the need for pins.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:18 AM   #6
Vicster
1000hp is NEVER Enough!

Drives: 13' ZL1
Arrow No Pins

I have a Halo tilt hood installed on my ZL1, had to modify the heck out of the hinge to get it to clear the 4" intercooler. But I do not feel the need for pins as the hood hinge just replaces the front latch. Made some filler pieces to fill in the holes, I also used riv-nuts instead of the provided screws to attach everything..

Halo is a good kit, it has 4 outboard fasteners on the hinge latch plate that do most of the securing. You would need to ask the hood mfc if there is any plates or supports in this area. The aft latches mount the same as the hinges. The gas struts are attach in a previous unused part of the hood, so again ask the hood mfc. if there are support plates in this area to. I have attached the Halo install instructions.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf hood-hinge-install-instructions.pdf (543.0 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by Vicster; 06-16-2021 at 10:30 AM.
Vicster is offline   Reply With Quote