Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-20-2019, 09:30 PM   #1
JGinLA
Since 1978

Drives: 2015 1LE SIM RS/2SS
OnStar 2G ends in 2022 for 5th Gen- adapter coming

Received an email survey from OnStar Global Marketing Research which I nearly ignored. It was a sneaky way to inform owners that cell companies will do away with 2G in 2022. Any 2015 model years and older will lose OnStar service. Their solution is an adapter plugged into the OBD port. It will be available for purchase through your OnStar account. The results will be a 4G connection with no turn-by-turn directions, no calling with the onboard phone, buttons on the mirror that no longer work, but now you can get wifi. Your cell phone would have to be connected through the GM app for any of this to work. It will not work in all models.
There was no price given for any of this but they did ask if I expected to be compensated and would I be confident I could plug it in correctly.
1993 Z28 black- 6 sp
1979 TransAm black T/A 6.6- 4 sp

Last edited by JGinLA; 04-20-2019 at 11:07 PM.
JGinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:36 PM   #2
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
We have Onstar, who knew?
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:04 PM   #3
SS 310H55A

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
I wish there was a way to just yank all that bullshit out of the car completely. I mean seriously, who uses onstar turn by turn directions when your in dash navigation does that independent of needing to pay for onstar? And if that wasn’t enough, most people are using smart phones with google or Apple maps.

Anything useful with onstar, like unlocking your doors from an app, is hidden behind their stupid paywall. Sure the service to find your car if it’s stolen would be useful but not at the price they want for it. If someone wants my car bad enough, take it. I’ll just file an insurance claim and move on with my life. I don’t get how onstar has survived this long.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:16 AM   #4
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 310H55A View Post
I wish there was a way to just yank all that bullshit out of the car completely. I mean seriously, who uses onstar turn by turn directions when your in dash navigation does that independent of needing to pay for onstar? And if that wasn’t enough, most people are using smart phones with google or Apple maps.

Anything useful with onstar, like unlocking your doors from an app, is hidden behind their stupid paywall. Sure the service to find your car if it’s stolen would be useful but not at the price they want for it. If someone wants my car bad enough, take it. I’ll just file an insurance claim and move on with my life. I don’t get how onstar has survived this long.
Unfortunately GM screwed many of us in an attempt to 'strongly encourage' people to subscribe to OnStar; 2013 and earlier Camaros with MyLink systems do not have onboard/built in nav, nor do 2014 or earlier Traverses with MyLink. Something they fail to point out when they tell you the vehicle is equipped with on board navigation (they neglect to tell you it's only through OnStar)

So, basically you have four options if you want nav: Subscribe to OnStar, pay a small fortune to upgrade your MyLink to a newer version with the built in nav, install an aftermarket system with nav or use a stand alone, like Garmin. As the only time I really use turn-by-turn is when we take road trips, I opted for the latter and bought a Garmin.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:22 AM   #5
SS 310H55A

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
Unfortunately GM screwed many of us in an attempt to 'strongly encourage' people to subscribe to OnStar;

Their whole business strategy with onstar sucks. I have an ‘06 avalanche with “hands free” calling. No Bluetooth though, have to subscribe to cellular service through onstar with antiquated phone plans and limited minutes. Wtf GM? So stupid. Whatever executives think their business model with onstar is actually good, needs to be fired.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:35 AM   #6
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I haven't gotten any such e-mail from On-Star research.
Methinks it's just a marketing scam to sell you some magic adapter.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:20 AM   #7
Nb1081

Drives: 10 2ss/rs
Well in 2022 ill like my car even more then
Old 04-21-2019, 01:55 PM   #8
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
What’s OnStar? *sarcasm*

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:02 PM   #9
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pagliaro Send a message via MSN to Pagliaro Send a message via Yahoo to Pagliaro
When Canada had update they had whole module changed and it added wifi hotspotting to the car.

First retrofitted 2014 mylink.
Pagliaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:08 PM   #10
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
https://www.emnify.com/blog/global-2g-phase-out

This may help....

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:35 PM   #11
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Drives: 15 2lt RS Top Gun Camaro
My onstar went bye bye, I removed it. Friend of mine just bought a new truck but it wasn't a GM because of the onstar intrusion. I read some on the gm cars the onstar unit can control the fuel pump and if the unit fails its over 800 to replace! If my car couldn't run without a onstar unit installed it would be GONE! Honestly when we bought this Camaro I never gave the onstar thing a second thought. If I had known how intrusive it is no way I would have touched this thing. Lots of other car manufacturers that make good cars that don't complicate your life more than it needs to be.

ps If I could talk my wife into selling this Camaro it would be gone so fast its tails lights would spin. I only owned it a month and I read enough BS about it and its systems to make me cringe. If the tire pressure sensors read wrong the car fgoes into reduced power mode is what I read. Well if this Camaro EVER does anything even remoting stupid as I that bought it for my wife. It will be sitting at nearest used car lot that has a 90's clunker for sale!
152LTRockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:56 PM   #12
Kyletech

Drives: 2015 Green Flash
The phone is the only part of Onstar that I like. If I forget my phone at home the prepaid cellular comes in handy for me.
Kyletech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:03 PM   #13
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: Boeing 757/767+2010 IBM 2SS
What is this Onstar you speak of.......?
Old 04-21-2019, 06:41 PM   #14
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by 152LTRockin View Post
My onstar went bye bye, I removed it. Friend of mine just bought a new truck but it wasn't a GM because of the onstar intrusion. I read some on the gm cars the onstar unit can control the fuel pump and if the unit fails its over 800 to replace! If my car couldn't run without a onstar unit installed it would be GONE! Honestly when we bought this Camaro I never gave the onstar thing a second thought. If I had known how intrusive it is no way I would have touched this thing. Lots of other car manufacturers that make good cars that don't complicate your life more than it needs to be.

ps If I could talk my wife into selling this Camaro it would be gone so fast its tails lights would spin. I only owned it a month and I read enough BS about it and its systems to make me cringe. If the tire pressure sensors read wrong the car fgoes into reduced power mode is what I read. Well if this Camaro EVER does anything even remoting stupid as I that bought it for my wife. It will be sitting at nearest used car lot that has a 90's clunker for sale!
Hmm, I drove all last summer with a bad TPMS. Many have gone without any on race tires and such.

Only the wheel speed sensors affect the ABS, TC, and ST.
BTW, more than a few have ditched the ONSTAR box. Car runs fine.