Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-09-2024, 02:05 AM   #1
7Merlin

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Convertible
2SS stock tires rotation - Goodyear Eagle F1 245/40ZR20 and 275/35ZR20

Hello forum,

I've read through the manual and a few topics on this subforum but it's still inconclusive. So I wanna ask here to maybe get a clear answer.

On my 2023 2SS convertible I got Goodyear Eagle F1 245/40ZR20 front and 275/35ZR20 rear tires.

I understand that front and rear cannot be rotated between front and rear. The manual says each pair can be rotated between themselves (front to front, rear ro rear). It doesn't mention anything about directional or assymetric tires.

I've seen most people on this subforum say they do rotate side to side and it's correct to do so. But I've seen some mention that the tires may be directional and I need to look for some arrows... My manual doesn't mention this at all.

I also looked up these tires online and it's strange that all of them are assymetrical, but maybe I didn't find the right ones? https://www.goodyear.com/en_US/search_size/245_40_20

So looking for a clear answer: are these tires rotatable side-to-side or not?
7Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 02:10 AM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Merlin View Post
Hello forum,

I've read through the manual and a few topics on this subforum but it's still inconclusive. So I wanna ask here to maybe get a clear answer.

On my 2023 2SS convertible I got Goodyear Eagle F1 245/40ZR20 front and 275/35ZR20 rear tires.

I understand that front and rear cannot be rotated between front and rear. The manual says each pair can be rotated between themselves (front to front, rear ro rear). It doesn't mention anything about directional or assymetric tires.

I've seen most people on this subforum say they do rotate side to side and it's correct to do so. But I've seen some mention that the tires may be directional and I need to look for some arrows... My manual doesn't mention this at all.

I also looked up these tires online and it's strange that all of them are assymetrical, but maybe I didn't find the right ones? https://www.goodyear.com/en_US/search_size/245_40_20

So looking for a clear answer: are these tires rotatable side-to-side or not?
You can do the side to side rotation but I really think on these cars, when the tires are done, they are done... You aren't buying a very high performance Camaro for tire life... But if everything is aligned correctly, the Left/Right tire wear should be VERY similar negating left/right tire/whele swaps...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 02:15 AM   #3
7Merlin

Thanks for the response!

Rotation is included in my service package, and if it helps a little, why not? It is recommended by GM in the manual anyway
Old 02-09-2024, 05:24 AM   #4
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
7Merlin, the OEM and the vast majority of aftermarket tires people use with their Camaros are non-directional, with the exception of some rare drag radials that the four digit horsepower crew often prefer. You can safely swap them side to side, and it will help a little, but not much, in the way of treadwear. This is not a Camry, "unfortunately"

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 06:47 AM   #5
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
This game of directional and or asymetric tread designs that COULD go L/R isn't worth the time/$$/effort to do so. A good alignment and regular pressure checks is about all you have to get good tire wear and even then if you don't have a every 1-2 year tire budget you're not going to be too happy with the car.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 10:42 AM   #6
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Directional tires will have arrows indicating direction of rotation and can't be rotated side-to-side.
Asymmetric tires are labelled "inside" and "outside," and you should see the word "outside" on the sidewall if these have been installed properly. these can be rotated side to side.
I have had the stock run flats, asymmetric General tires, and directional BFG's and can see no benefit in side to side rotation based on my highly scientific "stick my fingers in different parts of the tread" testing.
Not surprising, as in a rear wheel drive car, the rear wheels provide 100% of the going and the front wheels about 80% of the stopping. So they tend to wear at the same rate in normal driving.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 05:48 PM   #7
7Merlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Directional tires will have arrows indicating direction of rotation and can't be rotated side-to-side.
Asymmetric tires are labelled "inside" and "outside," and you should see the word "outside" on the sidewall if these have been installed properly. these can be rotated side to side.
I have had the stock run flats, asymmetric General tires, and directional BFG's and can see no benefit in side to side rotation based on my highly scientific "stick my fingers in different parts of the tread" testing.
Not surprising, as in a rear wheel drive car, the rear wheels provide 100% of the going and the front wheels about 80% of the stopping. So they tend to wear at the same rate in normal driving.
Thanks for explaining the difference between directional and asymmetric, I mixed this up and thought it's the same thing.