Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #15
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
ACS = Overpriced, but theres usually nothing you can do about it
Sure there is... I can not buy it. And apparently it's another $150 for athe radiator support. $450 just to open up the slot to let more air in?
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #16
10 2SS/RS 6M

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 bone stock 9K miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
I have been in that area quite thoroughly. There is no effective way of getting air from the slot to the intake without fabricating a scoop. Even with the kit available to make the slot somewhat functional it allows minimal air flow, none of which benefits the intake. It can be done as I showed in the link I provided to my build.
Yes I noticed that, but what's this about the bigmouth mail slot? I have a SLP blackwing CAI, it's mounted where the washer bottle used to be, it pulls cool air when moving, but at idle the AIT's start creeping up until I'm moving then it goes back to the ambient outside temperature. Only thing I don't like about it is it sits low, and you really got to watch you don't try to go through any deep puddles, the last thing I want to do is hydro lock the engine, so I'm looking for a different solution an I like your set up a lot.

Excellent build by the way, very talented!
SLP- long tube headers, hi flow cats w/full SLP 3'' PowerFlo exhaust incl/X-pipe, 160 degree stat, SLP Blackwing CAI. Dyno tuned by ECS-407/409RWHP&TQ. BMR- trailing arms w/poly knuckle bushings, toe links, cradle bushings and differential bushings. QA1 rear lower control arms. Hurst short throw shifter, SS- level 4 axles, DSS- aluminum driveshaft, Pfadt- sport 1.5" rear sway-bar. SPOHN 1.25" front sway-bar. Monster LT1-S twin clutch. Prothane motor mounts. Best 1/4 mile so far- 12:70ET @ 112.24 MPH w/ 2.06 second 60'.
SOLD.

Last edited by 10 2SS/RS 6M; 09-29-2013 at 06:34 PM.
10 2SS/RS 6M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #17
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 2SS/RS 6M View Post
Yes I noticed that, but what's this about the bigmouth mail slot? I have a SLP blackwing CAI, it's mounted where the washer bottle used to be, it pulls cool air when moving, but at idle the AIT's start creeping up until I'm moving then it goes back to the ambient outside temperature. Only thing I don't like about it is it sits low, and you really got to watch you don't try to go through any deep puddles, the last thing I want to do is hydro lock the engine, so I'm looking for a different solution an I like your set up a lot.

Unless you're driving through 2 1/2 + foot tall waters, that scoops will not help to hydro lock your engine.
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #18
10 2SS/RS 6M

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 bone stock 9K miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by K32 Camaro View Post
Unless you're driving through 2 1/2 + foot tall waters, that scoops will not help to hydro lock your engine.
Did you ever drive in Philadelphia?
I know, it really shouldn't hydro lock unless it is that deep OR a wave of water happens to go right over the filter. No I don't drive in the ocean, just an example!
Some Roads in Philadelphia shouldn't even be called Roads, Streets, Avenues or whatever they call them!
I also had worries of that long intake tube having more difficulty sucking the air opposed to a shorter one, but the dyno test of the comparison Jannetty racing did on them look pretty good for the BlackWing CAI.
SLP- long tube headers, hi flow cats w/full SLP 3'' PowerFlo exhaust incl/X-pipe, 160 degree stat, SLP Blackwing CAI. Dyno tuned by ECS-407/409RWHP&TQ. BMR- trailing arms w/poly knuckle bushings, toe links, cradle bushings and differential bushings. QA1 rear lower control arms. Hurst short throw shifter, SS- level 4 axles, DSS- aluminum driveshaft, Pfadt- sport 1.5" rear sway-bar. SPOHN 1.25" front sway-bar. Monster LT1-S twin clutch. Prothane motor mounts. Best 1/4 mile so far- 12:70ET @ 112.24 MPH w/ 2.06 second 60'.
SOLD.
10 2SS/RS 6M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #19
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 2SS/RS 6M View Post

From what I was able to see was that any sized opening the mail slot is cut out too, the problem is getting air to the intake, most of the ones I've seen either have modified radiator top shrouds or remove/alter the seal but both of these modifications only allow fresh air to the engine compartment not the intake and the amount of air because of the opening size and shape is not that significant. There may be others that have a different approach but not that I'm familiar with.

Water was a big concern to me as I live in New England and weather can reach extremes especially rain. I have almost 80,000 miles on my car and have on more than one occasion driven through water where my bottom scoops were totally submerged, When this happens it renders the mail slot scoop useless as they are tied in together, I don't think it's pictured but I made a new snorkel that is larger, sits tighter to the radiator support and has the two 3" ducts coming in from the fender well side, it supplies more air flow than the factory snorkel so when the others aren't working the motor still gets more than adequate air. I am planning on a large plenum eliminating the duct work for more efficient flow. I've thought about putting a door I can close in case of extreme weather but so far it hasn't been necessary. As far as any benefit from the added scoops, it's never been dynode or tested in any way but I do know air from the lower scoops especially does enter the intake as very, very frequent cleaning of debris from the housing is needed. When the plenum is done it will have a low restriction pre filter to limit this.

Why have I done all this? When I figure that out I'll let you know.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote