Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-31-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
eynigush
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SSRS Rally Yellow
ARH, Dynatech, or Kooks???

I need some honest opinions on headers. I have a 2SS A6 with a CAI Inc. intake and Magnaflow Comp Series cat-back exhaust. I thought I was going to be happy with just the exhaust since I heard it was the most aggressive sounding option as far as cat-backs go. It sounds great and I don't regret my purchase; I simply want a more aggressive tone.

As I kept reading through the forum, I started narrowing my choices on headers. I crossed off Pacesetters and Doug Thorleys because they are mild steel. Also, I prefer 304 grade stainless--so I'm thinking ARH, Dynatech, or Kooks. I don't care if they're 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 primaries as along as they come with high flow cats. I was considering deleting the cats but I don't know whether I will like the sound without them. I'm not worried about drone because the chambered x-pipe on my cat-back has done a good job of minimizing drone.

Any honest opinions as well as sound clips (if you have a Magnaflow cat-back with headers) are welcome.

Happy Holidays,
Eddie
eynigush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:02 AM   #2
SS-screamer

Drives: SIM RS/SS L99
I have Kooks 1 7/8 on my car with Magnaflow bullet style mufflers. I had some drone with the mufflers alone but after adding the headers the drone actually improved. I know that some others had problems with drone when they added the Kooks. Although, I did keep the rest of my exhaust (resonators) intact so maybe that was the difference.
SS-screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
I would think you would be VERY happry with the ARH headers. they come with the best cats on the market, are made with the best US made stainless available, and sound great.

I do not have a video with magnaflow, but if you check out my website here:http://www.zzmotorsports.com/Custome...ls.php?album=3
You can hear them with my cam and the STOCK mufflers.

If you have any questions, let me know, I would be more than happy to answer them and help you in any way I can.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
BLK2SS

Drives: Black 2SS
I'm running the Kooks 1 3/4 and couldn't be happier. They will bolt right up to your catback if you get the high flow cats. I wouldn't delete the cats. I hollowed out my cats. It sounds great, but the drone is massive when under load at 1700-2000 rpms. It doesn't bother me, but it isn't my daily driver either.
BLK2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:38 AM   #5
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
I got the kooks 1 7/8 headers and full 3in. kooks exhaust system. I love it
Old 12-31-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
full of days

Drives: Camaro GT
I'm enjoying my Dynatech Supermaxx LT with catted midpipes and MBRP exhaust.

Crank up the volume...

I went from 386 hp to 414 on an LS3 with Airaid CAI, Dynatech supermaxx LT w/catted midpipe and MBRP race exhaust.

Post Tenebras Lux

full of days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:43 AM   #7
eynigush
SoCal C5 Family Member

Thumbs up

Your car sounds great. I'm impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by full of days View Post
I'm enjoying my Dynatech Supermaxx LT with catted midpipes and MBRP exhaust.

Crank up the volume...

I went from 386 hp to 414 on an LS3 with Airaid CAI, Dynatech supermaxx LT w/catted midpipe and MBRP race exhaust.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:48 AM   #8
eynigush
SoCal C5 Family Member

Thanks for the feedback. I've been quoted from other vendors $1495 for ARH w/cats, $1149 for Dynatechs w/cats, and Kooks ceramic coated by JETHot also w/high flow cats for $1349 shipped. So far the Kooks seem like the best deal because it includes ceramic coating in the price.

What do you guys think???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZcamaro View Post
I would think you would be VERY happry with the ARH headers. they come with the best cats on the market, are made with the best US made stainless available, and sound great.

I do not have a video with magnaflow, but if you check out my website here:http://www.zzmotorsports.com/Custome...ls.php?album=3
You can hear them with my cam and the STOCK mufflers.

If you have any questions, let me know, I would be more than happy to answer them and help you in any way I can.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:18 AM   #9
BlaSSt Off

Drives: 2SS/RS
Dont forget, you pay for what ya get... ARH are more expensive for a reason.
BlaSSt Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:35 AM   #10
BLK2SS

Drives: Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by eynigush View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I've been quoted from other vendors $1495 for ARH w/cats, $1149 for Dynatechs w/cats, and Kooks ceramic coated by JETHot also w/high flow cats for $1349 shipped. So far the Kooks seem like the best deal because it includes ceramic coating in the price.

What do you guys think???

Get the Kooks, the coating helps alot to keep the heat down in the engine compartment. They are a quality header...not to mention they will bolt right up to your catback.
BLK2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:37 AM   #11
2010SSRS

Drives: 2000 Silverado
i have been researching the same thing for over a month and here's what i found.........

- all 3 are T-304 Stainless Mandrel Bent Long Tube Headers and Cat Systems
- all 3 Perform about the same and are real close in note and flow
- all 3 are priced different and every vendor here has a different price.

1 3/4" is ok but if ya go with 1 7/8" - you'll be good on any other hp upgrade you do to 550rwhp, and the price is the same (or real close).

from my research, ARH and Kooks are a bit above Dynatech in fit and finish. if you search the forums and youtube and look at installed systems you'll see my point. but the Dynatech performance is right there!

now here's what i did......

PM'd almost every vendor in the forums, on ebay, that came up on Google and Yahoo for quotes. i went with Brandon at Maryland speed for a set of Kooks 1 7/8" LT Headers with cats and the Jett Hot 1700 coating and the Corsa Sport Cat Back....

i was going to go with Dynatech because of the price, but like the ARH the best. NOBODY will deal on ARH's and the price shipped i got from Brandon for the Kooks coated beat out the Dynatech's without coating.......i couldn't pass that deal up!

hope this rambling helped......if you havn't called Brandon at Marryland Speed yet, do it now and tell him Wes sent ya. don't PM, ya gotta call him before years end!

VR 2SSRS LS3 - Borla, SLP CAI
2010SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:51 AM   #12
eynigush
SoCal C5 Family Member

Thanks for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRS View Post
i have been researching the same thing for over a month and here's what i found.........

- all 3 are T-304 Stainless Mandrel Bent Long Tube Headers and Cat Systems
- all 3 Perform about the same and are real close in note and flow
- all 3 are priced different and every vendor here has a different price.

1 3/4" is ok but if ya go with 1 7/8" - you'll be good on any other hp upgrade you do to 550rwhp, and the price is the same (or real close).

from my research, ARH and Kooks are a bit above Dynatech in fit and finish. if you search the forums and youtube and look at installed systems you'll see my point. but the Dynatech performance is right there!

now here's what i did......

PM'd almost every vendor in the forums, on ebay, that came up on Google and Yahoo for quotes. i went with Brandon at Maryland speed for a set of Kooks 1 7/8" LT Headers with cats and the Jett Hot 1700 coating and the Corsa Sport Cat Back....

i was going to go with Dynatech because of the price, but like the ARH the best. NOBODY will deal on ARH's and the price shipped i got from Brandon for the Kooks coated beat out the Dynatech's without coating.......i couldn't pass that deal up!

hope this rambling helped......if you havn't called Brandon at Marryland Speed yet, do it now and tell him Wes sent ya. don't PM, ya gotta call him before years end!
Old 12-31-2009, 01:15 PM   #13
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Kooks 1 7/8 and high flow cats (fit great - no issues - car hauls axx)
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:17 PM   #14
eynigush
SoCal C5 Family Member

Thanks for posts, I appreciate you guys taking the time to share your opinions.

--Eddie