Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-22-2022, 10:17 PM   #1
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
L99 Question

I only have experience with the LS3 5th gens, never owned a L99. Is a range device the only way to avoid the V4 crap or can you avoid V4 in M mode by paddle shifting?
Thanks
Old 09-22-2022, 10:43 PM   #2
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Paddle shifting will disable it as long as you stay in M mode and are using them, as soon as you go from M mode back to sport or drive it will enable AFM again. I used the paddles exclusively because of this. Also a tune will take care of it permanently but still leave you with the crappy lifters unless you cam swap it.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.

Last edited by Aqua Blue RS/SS; 09-22-2022 at 10:54 PM.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 10:55 PM   #3
LT1Zob

Thank you Sir
Old 09-22-2022, 11:26 PM   #4
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
^^^^ Aqua is right on the money. Same reason I used paddles 100% before I tuned AFM out. Now I am used to TapShift and still use the paddles 100%. That will change once I get my stall convertor of course.

Personally, I would get a tune and be done with it until you can delete AFM. Range devices can be a bit squirrelly from what I hear.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 12:53 PM   #5
LT1Zob

Thank you much
Old 09-23-2022, 09:09 PM   #6
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Simply get it turned off in the tune
Old 09-23-2022, 09:30 PM   #7
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
I agree with mlee, get a tune. Don't waste your money on a range device. There's a bunch of people who talk about them draining their battery on their cars.

Get a tune, eliminate 4 cylinder mode, get the transmission tuned like a performance car should be, and enjoy your Camaro. Trust me, you won't recognize your car after a quality tune. You can even tune in a "wife mode" where D mode is more similar to stock for shift firmness with improved shift points and M mode is neck snapping firm race ready shifts.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 09:33 PM   #8
LT1Zob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Simply get it turned off in the tune
Thanks Mike, however, that still leaves the OE garbage lifters/VLOM in place. I’m looking at moving to a V8 5th gen again, and just wondering about how people here deal with the L99s (in case I don’t find another LS3). My 19 Z06 is my first ever auto sports car and manual mode with paddle shifters is all I use. I can’t wait until the warranty is up on it so Lingenfelter can get rid of the cursed lifters. (I’ve had them fail and score the cam in another car, not fun).

On a side note, love your new and more sophisticated monkey avatar my friend.
Old 09-23-2022, 09:48 PM   #9
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1Zob View Post
Thanks Mike, however, that still leaves the OE garbage lifters/VLOM in place. I’m looking at moving to a V8 5th gen again, and just wondering about how people here deal with the L99s (in case I don’t find another LS3). My 19 Z06 is my first ever auto sports car and manual mode with paddle shifters is all I use. I can’t wait until the warranty is up on it so Lingenfelter can get rid of the cursed lifters. (I’ve had them fail and score the cam in another car, not fun).

On a side note, love your new and more sophisticated monkey avatar my friend.
You mentioned range and paddle shifters so I figured the simple way was turn it off in the tune but not necessarily getting a full on performance tune. Warranty wouldn't be a big concern for me and I had no idea any 5th Gens were still under warranty. Definitely do the conversion at some point.

My Monkey kicked the habit
Old 09-23-2022, 09:53 PM   #10
LT1Zob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
You mentioned range and paddle shifters so I figured the simple way was turn it off in the tune but not necessarily getting a full on performance tune. Warranty wouldn't be a big concern for me and I had no idea any 5th Gens were still under warranty. Definitely do the conversion at some point.

My Monkey kicked the habit
My Z06 is under warranty, no way I'd find a 5th gen under warranty these days (unless that warranty was backed by Bernie Madoff I assume )

Congrats to your monkey kicking the habit. I'm still trying - unsuccessfully
Old 09-24-2022, 09:00 AM   #11
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
I have a L99 and while I wasn't plagued with the problems of failing lifters before my cam swap, I would say that your exhaust plays a big part in whether or not you hate your 4 cylinder mode or not. Personally, I had Kooks long tube headers with high flow cats and Solo's Mach XL catback and left my AFM/DOD on after my tune. It got me an extra mpg or two and didn't sound like a ricer farting down the road.

That said, when I did my cam swap I did a full LS3 conversion for ease of parts. I didn't have to worry about the AFM/DOD crapping out or the VVT potentially. There's a bazillion arguments over keeping VVT or deleting it, and honestly everybody is right. It's great to keep and it's great to delete, the choice is up to you.

Best of luck and happy modding!!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 09:08 AM   #12
LT1Zob

Thank you Sir. Based on personal experience, I’d like the AFM out ASAP. Not saying it will happen to all or most cars, but based on my bad experience, by the time you’re wondering WFT was that noise and then the dash lights up like a Christmas tree, it’s too late. The damage is done.
Old 09-24-2022, 11:20 AM   #13
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Looks like y'all covered the bases but I will add, I had a Range Device kill the (electric) power steering once. THAT is downright dangerous!
Old 09-24-2022, 12:38 PM   #14
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Thank you Sir. Based on personal experience, I’d like the AFM out ASAP. Not saying it will happen to all or most cars, but based on my bad experience, by the time you’re wondering WFT was that noise and then the dash lights up like a Christmas tree, it’s too late. The damage is done.
That’s definitely your best bet I’ll be doing the same soon enough.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote