Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Old 09-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
vfrider

Drives: 2012 2ss/rs mt
Thumbs down Billy Boat Exhaust...AVOID

Never buy from this company!!!

I just need to rant for a bit at how disrespected I feel by this company. When I bought my car in February, I asked the aftermarket guy at the stealership about exhaust options. He swore up and down that this company makes great exhausts, hand-made to order, here in Arizona, from American steel. He says they're all the rage in the Corvette community, which apparently they are. So I take delivery of my car and it does sound awesome...except for the frequent exhaust rattle that happens most times I set off from a stop. It's whatever, I find out through this forum that it's a result of the 3" pipes hitting the brace. I got a BMR brace, problem solved. Still, the cat-back was installed at Billy Boat, you think they could've tossed some washers on the original brace for clearance.

Eventually I get the desire for some LT headers, so I go to Billy Boat first to see if I can get a deal or anything as a returning customer. I got what I thought to be a pretty sweet deal on ceramic coated 1-7/8" headers and catted mid-pipes. A search of Maryland Speed's website shows me I should've waited for the current deal they have on their stepped Kooks.

Anyway, 2 months ago, they told me it would take 3 weeks to build some headers and get them to my door, 103 miles away from their facility (according to google maps' driving directions). I call them at the end of the third week to see what was what and the guy I spoke to, Mike, didn't know, promised to find out by day's end and that he'd call me back. I don't get a call back. I called on the following Monday and he said "uh, something's happened with your order, I'm trying to find out what it is and I'll call you back." This will mark the one and so far only time that they would actually call me back after saying they would do so. This guy Mike has repeatedly, not been a man of his word. So he does call me back that day to tell me that a shipping error happened and my exhaust got sent to the East Coast, they think Jersey. He gets super apologetic and tells me they'll do everything they can to have me a set of headers by the end of that week. This was three weeks ago now. I called that Friday to see what was happening and Mike was out to a trade show, and apparently he's the only one who can tell me anything about my order. I called again the following Monday, and was told my new set of headers was being sent back from the powder coaters and they would have it to me by that Friday and he would call me on Thursday to let me know what was happening. I didn't get a call on Thursday, so I called a few minutes before they closed, as I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt until then. At this point, Mike is becoming more and more dismissive of me and my attempts to find out where my product, that I paid for over a month ago, is. He tells me they showed up from the powder coater that day and they'll ship them out on Friday, to be delivered on Tuesday, due to Labor Day. I called yesterday to ask for a tracking number, because I got home in the evening and I had not received a delivery. Mike is ever more dismissive of me. He says they didn't get them out on Friday and that they were leaving that day. Today, same thing, I get home, no delivery. I call again and apparently they're still in their ****ing shop, but he swears they're actually leaving tonight and that he'll email me or call me with my tracking number. I called 15 minutes before they closed tonight, because I never got a call or an email (I'd say this is about a dozen empty promises of call backs). The secretary tells me Mike already left. With obvious frustration in my voice, I tell her I just want a tracking number for my order. She says okay and puts me on hold for 10 minutes. She picks up and asks, "oh, you're still holding? Hang on, I'll get Billy" whom I can only imagine is Billy Boat himself. Billy never answers. I stayed on hold for another 20 minutes, before trying to call back, but when I do, it goes straight to voicemail because it's after business hours at this point. You can imagine how happy this made me.

I'm royally pissed off at the way this company has treated me. I'm calling them the moment they open tomorrow morning, and if my headers are still in their shop tomorrow morning, I'm demanding my money back and filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. At this point, I don't care how finely crafted they are, I don't care how good they might sound, I don't care how much power they'll add, I don't even care about the added wait-time of going to one of their competitors. I will never be able to recommend Billy Boat Exhaust because of how they have treated a returning customer who has spent a smidge over $3,000 just for some damned steel tubing. Part of me wants them to have not shipped my headers, I don't even want their product on my car anymore. I would hesitate to answer someone if they ask what exhaust I'm running. I would be sure to make it clear that I am a dissatisfied customer and would never return to them, nor recommend them to anyone I meet.

At this point, I've already had to reschedule with the tuner I plan on using because of them. I have my rescheduled appointment for this Saturday, but my gut's screaming at me to cancel it until I actually have a set of headers on the car. The only problem is this guy is really well respected and fairly busy, and is usually booked out about a month in advance.

I just wanted some nice US made headers, and I've been given a complete runaround trying to get them. Honestly, now I just want my money back so I can buy from someone else. In summation, stay the hell away from this company, and if you ever have a friend ask you about them, tell them to stay the hell away too, and point them to this thread.

Last edited by vfrider; 09-05-2012 at 11:27 PM.
vfrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
Wow.. I've used literally dozens of B&Btriflo products and they're awesome! I'm sorry to hear you've had problems with them. I've never had a problem in over 12 years of different systems including some custom fabricated systems I had made for my e46 M3 race car. I'm sorry this happened to you. Their product is outstanding and second to none in quality. Only reason I dont have them on this car is because I wanted a different sound. I hope they make it right for you and I hope you don't always feel that way about them. However, they cant win over every customer.

::MODS:: this should be moved to vendor/manufacturer reviews. :-)
Old 09-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
BlackM6RS/SS

Drives: 2010 Black M6 RS/2SS
Always heard of people buy B&B from vendors on here sale them and were satisfied and they make great exhaust. That's sucks man

Last edited by BlackM6RS/SS; 09-05-2012 at 09:55 PM.
BlackM6RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
vfrider

I was really understanding until this week. I know errors happen, and I know I'm not a vendor asking them for tens of thousands of dollars worth of business. Besides the little rattle it had, I actually really like the sound, and would've recommended them until this week. It's just the dismissive attitude I've been getting lately, like me wanting to know what's up with my already paid-in-full order is being indignant or something. I don't call 10 times a day, and I've been nothing but polite and diplomatic over the phone...so far.

They've been telling me so many different excuses, but the bottom line is that it's taken twice the time they told me it would, they've given me so many promises of when my headers would ship and arrive at my door, and I still don't have what I ordered from them. Part of what's so frustrating is that they're just a couple of boring hours up I-10 from me. If I didn't have productive things to occupy my time with, like work and school, I would just go to Phoenix and get them myself. The idea of waiting this long for something to be shipped from the next town over is getting under my skin in a fierce way.

Mods, feel free to move this thread to wherever it belongs. I was a bit too pissed with my OP to ponder its correct section.

Last edited by vfrider; 09-05-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #5
1sikRS

Drives: chevy
Shoulda just got some tsp headers and called it a day
1sikRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
Sprankster

Drives: 2012 SS/RS
If they dont want to give you a refund and they still haven't shipped them you can go to your bank and dispute the charge.
Sprankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
Ebbsnflows

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1-1LE
I hate to hear stories like this. B&B makes outstanding exhaust pieces. I've had them on past Camaros and my Z06 and have loved the quality/craftsmanship/sound. It's unfortunate that you're getting the run-around like this. It's definitely a bit of a black-eye for a company with a topnotch reputation. Hopefully you'll be able to resolve this issue and move past it soon. Good luck!
Old 09-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
JRT

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
Man that sucks! Get your money back and spend it on their direct competitor.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
vfrider

Apparently they're still at the powder coaters. I called the powder coaters, Affordable Powder Coating (kinda explains a lot in the name), and they told me they'll have a courier get them to my house tonight or tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath. Mike's apologetic, and he calls back real quick once the word "refund" gets tossed around. He says he's going to stop coating headers on orders and let the customer be responsible for it because he doesn't want a 3rd party messing with their business. I think they just need to vet their business partners more thoroughly.

After having first got the car with their cat-back already on it, I was thoroughly impressed, another reason I was quick to return to them for my headers. I did check the Corvette forums and everyone who has their stuff seems to love them. There also aren't many Dodge Vipers in the world, and it seems a fair number of them that have headers, run Billy Boat too. This thread is just my personal experience. As a customer, I can't stand being told I'll be called back, and then the calls don't come. The powder coaters may be the ones most directly responsible for the delays, but what I'm most pissed about is how I was dealt with by Billy Boat. Delays happen, and I try to view them as opportunities to demonstrate customer service.

I wrote a lengthy post recently about a ported intake manifold I ordered from RX Performance. They got through porting a manifold, saw it was cracked and then had to wait for another core to show up to port that one before sending it to me. Whenever I emailed asking about my order, they responded quickly and truthfully. I got the product a week or two later than originally told I would, and I'm still a happy camper. I'll gladly tell people about my experience with them and will recommend their work to anyone who asks. Now with this exhaust, I feel like there will always be the caveat of "yeah, it's a fine exhaust, I just had to go through the ringer to get it"

Luckily the tuner, Nic D, is understanding and is letting me keep my appointment for Saturday morning, even if I have to cancel tomorrow night.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #10
NC-V

Drives: cts-v
I hate to hear this and sorry that it happened to you. In the past, I have found that they are typically slower than most other manufacturers, but have never had any issues dealing with them. Their workmanship is top notch and they have a unique sound. I hope you receive your Headers tomorrow. You will atleast be happy with the product.
NC-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #11
AzItaliaSS

Drives: 2010 2ss RJT LS3 GONE....
not sure why these are so impressive to begin with, I have heard two cars exhaust done by them personally and felt very "ho hum" about there exhaust on the camaro. I give credit where it is deserved on the vette where they have a nich, however the BB exhaust on the camaro is another story, very average at best, check the you tube video, not so throaty, very clangy to say the least. I am local to them but glad I went another direction with much deeper sound. hope it gets worked out for ya.

VARARAM, SWSP 1 7/8 LT'S,X-PIPE,CAT DELETE,DYNOMAX RACE BULLETTS, LSR SHORT SHIFTER ,CUSTOM BLACK EMBLEMS,MPD1 SPOILER, HP TUNE BY GEARHEAD GARAGE, INTERIOR ABL LIGHTING, CUSTOM STRIPING BY BEAVER STRIPES, EIBACHS
AzItaliaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #12
blk20

Drives: 2011 rs2ss
well i have there headers and sport exhaust and love them had NO problems what so ever .sorry to hear of your bad luck i have delt with billy for years just not like him to be that way.
blk20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #13
CamaroLoco

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro SS
B&B makes two systems for the Camaro, the Sport and Classic version. I purchased the Classic as the Sport is very aggressive sounding.....nothing average about either version.....some of the best hand made headers you'll ever buy. The tig welds on these headers are some of the best work I've ever seen.

Customer service was average.....nobody knocked my socks off but I didn't feel dissed in any way.....I too dealt with Mike (Boat), Billy's brother. He didn't seem too engaged. When you spend $3500 you'd expect a "hey thanks for buying our product!" but very few vendors understand this concept and I certainly didn't get a thank you from B&B. I have purchased quite a few products during the course of my engine swap and have yet to have any vendor I've dealt give me so much as a "thank you" (with the exception of the robot email). No "personal touch" from any of the vendors. Very odd but I guess times must be very good for all of these vendors.

You got treated like crap and you feel even worse because you "took it". I've been there before too. Take solace in the fact that you have one of the best exhaust systems out there. Only time will tell whether you feel it was worth it. You obviously won't feel that way right now.

I had to upgrade to 2 inch primaries and went with ARH however I still have the B&B cat back and I'm very happy with it.

Good post for everyone here to read however with this kind of service, I fail to understand how you can vent here but not to Billy Boat himself? I think he would like to hear your version as well. He stuck me as a guy who would not be happy to hear this and would do something about it. I saw him chew an employees butt for showing up late while I was waiting in their lobby. Seems like a no nonsense guy.
CamaroLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #14
tys2010camaro

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
In my opinion they charge far more than their worth. I wasn't impressed when I inspected a set for the money. A product and warranty is only as good as the guy or manufacturer giving it. The run around they gave you is completely not cool. Can't understand why companies like this work so hard on obtaining customers instead of spending that same energy taking care of the ones you got.

I wont buy from them.
tys2010camaro is offline   Reply With Quote