Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 12-17-2015, 12:21 PM   #15
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisprz2010camaross View Post
You get what you pay for to live in Cali. Where else in the states can you go to the beach, desert and mountains? Stop the hate ✌
Preach it, brotha! I pay the so-called 'sunshine tax' to live in this beautiful state!
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:54 PM   #16
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
In NY we also have to pass emissions readiness. You don't actually have to drive 200 miles to clear that condition. There's a sequence of driving conditions that needs to happen before it will clear. Had this issue in my Avalanche when I changed the battery this past spring right before inspection. The procedure was to drive it from 0-30 or so in so many seconds, then maintain for a mile or so, then increase to 55 in so many seconds then maintain for maybe 2 miles then slow slow to 25 over a half mile, so on, so forth. There was breaking in between the steps, too. Found the procedure on-line and they're different for different makes. In all I drove about 15 miles in about 20 minutes, brought it back, and it passed the codes. Problem can be finding an empty road to do this on. I live in a mostly rural are also it's not that hard. You can possibly drive for 200 miles and not hit all the conditions in the procedure.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:55 PM   #17
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarshall2121 View Post
Preach it, brotha! I pay the so-called 'sunshine tax' to live in this beautiful state!
You must have a cushy government job with a very short commute.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:25 PM   #18
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
CA shouldn't be a state. Stupid state. Only good to visit and GTFO. Add VA too.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:36 PM   #19
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Cars and guns. Two of the things I enjoy most and this state is absolutely terrible about. I plan on leaving if I get the chance.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:11 PM   #20
kmarshall2121

Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
You must have a cushy government job with a very short commute.
cushy, yes. government - no.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:59 AM   #21
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
cost of living ratio is actually better than most states. Everyone is so hell-bent on everything costing more out here. insurance? no. housing? maybe a little. gallon of milk - no. beer - not at all, we have the most micro breweries than anyone. um, what else? gas? not a lot... help me out, ill confirm.
While I certainly do have my complaints, this IS the place to be. Yep, gotta put up with the politics and silly laws and so forth, BUT... we have every kind of outdoor terrain. In a single day, you can ski alpine slopes, and lay out on a sandy ocean beach. We've got the highest point in the lower 48, and the lowest (there is even one vantage point from which one can view both of those at the same time!). Deserts, mountains, cities, farmland (more produce than any other state!), coastline, forests, and as remote as you want to get. You name it, we've got it.

A few years ago, I tried Texas. Figured there would be even MORE 'outdoors,' and a cheaper cost of living.

Sure enough, property was cheap. I bought a house that would have cost $300k in CA for only $100k. Awesome! But then, the property taxes blew me away... and the cost of living was pretty high... and my wages were $10k (for the same job, transferred within the company) LESS! And... outdoors was impossible. Everything within 100 miles of me was private property or so overgrown that one could not even walk in it. And the politics were WAY more liberal than I am comfortable with... I missed the far more conservative area of CA that I had moved from (yes, sounds ironic).

After three and a half years of getting poorer and poorer, I cut my losses and headed back to CA.

Not everybody's experience will be the same, of course... but in comparing where I live in CA to where I lived in TX, this (CA) costs less to live in, my wages are much higher, and the outdoor opportunites are 100 times what I had in TX. I figured out where the grass is greener. Doesn't mean that I won't still have my complaints here... but, this is home.

Last edited by Scalded Dog; 12-18-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:10 AM   #22
polizzio

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Camaro
CA was a nice place to visit......but I wouldn't want to live there. Nancy Pelosi is a fine example of CA government, and the friggin traffic!
polizzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:15 AM   #23
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
cost of living ratio is actually better than most states. Everyone is so hell-bent on everything costing more out here. insurance? no. housing? maybe a little. gallon of milk - no. beer - not at all, we have the most micro breweries than anyone. um, what else? gas? not alot... help me out, ill confirm.
I've never actually looked, but everyone I know out in CA has paid ridiculously more for housing than I ever have in Ohio or Florida.

As for fuel, y'all are still in the $2.40-$2.50 range for regular according to GasBuddy, I paid $1.88 this morning. My girlfriend just paid $1.82 in Texas, and Ohio is at $1.60-$1.70.

I've been to California twice, and while it was nice, I could never live there.

Last edited by FenwickHockey65; 12-18-2015 at 02:58 PM.
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:24 AM   #24
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzio View Post
CA was a nice place to visit......but I wouldn't want to live there. Nancy Pelosi is a fine example of CA government, and the friggin traffic!
Many of us are so embarrassed about Crazy Nan... and, yes, I will admit, there a lot of people on the list that we are embarrassed about.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:06 AM   #25
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
I live in a 1,700 sf 3bed/2bath house with 2-car garage, bought it brand new for around $175k, and my property taxes are right around $3,500 per year.

I pay under $2 per gallon for gas (obviously regular, premium is around $2.30 or something like that).

I can drive for a few hours and enjoy the beach. I can drive about 30 minutes and go kayaking. I can drive for an hour and a half and check out an incredible music scene. Or I can drive an hour and a half and enjoy some bad ass twisty roads up in the hill country.

We don't have a state income tax. I can buy a gun in under an hour, keep it loaded in my car, and carry it concealed.

I'm guessing your bad experience was because you lived in downtown Austin? Or downtown Denton maybe? There's only a very small handful of locations in Texas where the political climate is uber-liberal. You just moved to the wrong location.

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 05:56 PM   #26
kmarshall2121

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
I've never actually looked, but everyone I know out in CA has paid ridiculously more for housing than I ever have in Ohio or Florida.

As for fuel, y'all are still in the $2.40-$2.50 range for regular according to GasBuddy, I paid $1.88 this morning. My girlfriend just paid $1.82 in Texas, and Ohio is at $1.60-$1.70.

I've been to California twice, and while it was nice, I could never live there.
but where the median wage is (I'm guessing) 40-60K a year in Ohio and Teas, the median in San Diego (for same profession) is in the $100K+ range. (lived in Iowa, and moved to San Diego doing same job)
Old 12-18-2015, 06:07 PM   #27
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
CA does NOT make this easy... a rant.

I will deal with the Midwest and the cold snowy winters before dealing with that bs

$1.72 today for gas (87)

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:53 PM   #28
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
200 miles? That's just stupid, your friend is not a good smog tech sorry. There's a very simple drive cycle you could've done, also since you said an 02 corolla there is probably a computer update available that is SUPPOSED to be done with the catalytic converter.

Toyotas are usually some of the easiest to run monitors on, along with Ford. Takes like 10 miles. I have had one damn camry that would reset the monitors every time it turned off and needed a new computer.

You may be able to even google the drive cycle.

Now just so you know why they do this crap... Before they cared about monitors (which is not just CA, this includes NY and plenty of other states, pretty much any state with smog checks) you could simply turn off your check engine light and pass. Now we all know that's cheating, so they don't want you to do that. Instead you have to have all your monitors passed (except for one on that corolla, the evap monitor doesn't matter.) if you could pass without monitors... not a single person would fail smog with a car 2000 or newer or any diesel/hybrid. Yes hybrids get smogged too

And yes there is only a one day permit, but if you don't fill it out until you get pulled over you'll be fine. DMV doesn't sign which date you'll be driving the damn thing. The 30 day extension is now only used for late registrations, not if the car hasn't been registered for over a certain period of time.

Anyway your smog tech probably wasted your time, I assume only one monitor was missing when you got back from your 200 mile road trip and it was probably the evap monitor, and it probably ran within your first 5 minutes of driving the second 200 mile road trip after repairs. It will only run if the car started with a cold engine. if it's been warmed up, you're SOL. So driving it can take more than one day, but never 200 miles. tell the tech to go back to school.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote