Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #1
2013zl1convert

Drives: 2013 Zl1 Convertible
using STABIL for storage?

So I live in the snow belt and I put my baby to bed for the winter.....I was going to add Stabil to the fuel and my dealer recommended that I do not...as long as I start it every couple of weeks..........thoughts?
2013zl1convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:55 AM   #2
Jetcop20
Jetcop20

Drives: '13 ZL1 A6
Old days

Never used it NEVER will...my Harleys sit for months without being started cars have sat for months..todays gasoline have so many additives that they do not break down,get water logged or other bug a boos. Make sure the gas tank is filled up.....FULL and DO NOT start it up every couple of weeks unless U DRIVE it...that is the worse thing U can do...the engine cannot burn off the water vapors that are created. Just my 2 cents and alot of experience.. EnjoyName:  4.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  34.2 KB
Jetcop20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:36 AM   #3
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Since a ZL1 should be filled with premium it shouldn't be necessary as there are additives in it. But $7 is pretty cheap for peace of mind. As for 87, who knows what's in that. Also, starting a car and letting it run for a few minutes is the worst thing you can do. Causes condensation in the motor, exhaust, etc. I use Stabil because it's going to sit for 5 months. The battery probably won't go dead either but there's a true float trickle charger on it just in case.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
ernie scar

Drives: Chevy/Dodge/Ford

I had to put the ZL1 away (as well as my other car) about 5 months ago due to a move and having no garage anymore (for right now anyway). And it will stay in storage for about another 7 to 9 months without being started. This will be about the longest I have had to store a car without starting it.

There are a lot of other things I have done to store my cars but I don’t think yours will be in storage for as long as mine so we can skip the other items.

Anyway with the ZL1 for fuel treatment what I usually do just before I put the car into storage I try and get the tank as empty as possible before I fill it up. I grab two cans of sea foam and head to the gas station. I fill up the car with as much gas as possible and then I dump in the two cans of Sea Foam.

By the time you get home the additive will have mixed in your fuel and you should be good to put the car away. There are a few different types of Sea Foam products so make sure you find the one that says fuel treatment.

As far as starting the car, like one of the other members mentioned, if you can’t get the car up to temperature don’t do it. If you have your car stored in an unheated garage where the temperatures are going to change drastically you do more harm than good.

Hope this helps
Old 12-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
Brownster

Drives: 1966 GTO Convertible/ZL1 Vert
I would absolutely use it or Sea Foam especially if your fuels have ethanol in it.
I learned my lesson the hard way after a chainsaw carburetor froze up from moisture accumulating in the fuel.
Fortunately, I can buy non ethanol gas I can use in small engines and boats that don't get used alot and I use Stabil in them as a precaution.
Brownster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
I would definitely put some stabil in the gas. I have a chain saw and a pressure washer that each get used about every other year. I used to have to take them to the small engine shop every time I wanted to use them because the carbs were gummed up. I started using stable and have not had to do any fuel system maintenance for 10 years. I had a Ford Bronco in storage for 13 months while I was in Afghanistan, I put stabil in it and it ran fine when I got home. I think the stuff works.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
Mwalterhouse

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Have never used it in boats or cars and probably never will, since I have never had to in the past.
Mwalterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
I dont put as much stock in stabil as others, but I don't think it would hurt either. If storing for six months or less you shouldn't have an issue whether you have ethanol in the gas or not. The issue with ethanol occurs due to seperation. Ethanol can absorb more moisture than gas, changing its density and seperating in an idle tank. If you fill your tank before storage, today's closed fuel systems will not expand and contract enough to pull in outside moisture. Not to mention if you're in a cold weather climate there's no moisture in the air anyway to draw in.

Take that for what its worth...its just what I've read and have not had any issues with modern cars when storing over winter. On the other hand, my ice auger has had issues, but it is not a closed fuel system and is stored over the summer for 9 months where the garage temp can vary 80 degrees.

2016 Silverado LTZ-Z71 Midnight Edition: 6.2L, 8 speed auto, Borla exhaust
Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
LuckyZL-1
Ragtop Rocket!!!

Drives: Black on Black Convertible
I learned the hard way! Use it! Ethanol fuels are the worst and they are everywhere now! I use it now on my boats! I had an outboard die on me 20 miles from shore after 8 months of storage with no Stabil and cost a nut to get purge all injectors, fuel lines, fuel pumps and filter housings of all that gunk that settled on the bottom of fuel tank. You won't regret using it but you could not using it!
ADM custom cam, LPE stage 2 heads with dual valve springs, LS-3 ported throttle body, LPE 2 piece pulley, LPE overdrive balancer, 10% overdrive pulley, ported supercharger inlet, ADM race intake system, stainless works 1-7/8 headers, Injector Dynamics injectors, ADM heat exchanger, ADM dual fuel pump system, ADM exhaust switch, ADM 3 tunes tuning package.
744rwhp 727rwtq
LuckyZL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
gm_joe

Drives: 2002 Pontiac GP 40th GTP, 2012 ZL-1
I have had cars sit for 18+ months with no fuel issues.
gm_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #11
Rjf965

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black Vert
There are a lot of threads and info on this. I use the marine stabil in mine, as well and filled it up with non ethanol gas from a local gas station that carries it.

Do a search on google for ethanol gas and storage you will see a lot. Ethanol is picks up water and then separates and makes goo. This is a big problem in boats as the fuel tanks are openly vented to outside air, not as much in cars.
Rjf965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
bowtiefamily

Drives: Chevrolet
Make sure the tank is full! I add just a dab of seafoam it is not as thick!
Old 12-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #13
BDBiker

Drives: Black 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
After a very expensive marine rebuild of the carbs on my boat, I always use 100% gas with the proper addition of Stabil and fill the tank as full as I can get it to avoid condensation in the tank. I store 5 motorcycles, 2 ATV's, a boat, generator, tiller, 3 chain saws and a pressure washer. I never have a problem since I started using Stabil and fill the tanks as full as possible. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #14
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
I always use it when I store my 68 Camaro and my Project Monte. Add it to a full tank and go for a short drive so it gets in the lines too.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote