Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-01-2009, 09:26 AM   #113
hollywoodGU

Drives: 1999 Firebird Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaSSt View Post
And you are incorrect. There are thousands of 3rd and 4th gen Convertible Z28s.
For instance 1,990 were built in 1998 alone:
ya your correct
haha idk i guess i had a brain fart i knew that...just didnt think about it
oh well
hollywoodGU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #114
gpr

Drives: never fast enough
You sort of know what you are talking about. It was the first gen camaro's that only one z/28 convertible was ever produced. They had to pass the idea by the big wigs to build the z/28 model and he was a huge convertible fan. So they built one z/28 convertible to butter him up and get the cars built.
gpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:40 AM   #115
camero

Drives: IOM V6 RS 38808
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeySS/RS View Post
I think everyone knew that the new Z28 is going to be nearly identicle to Bumblebee from transformers....
Bumblebee's new look was inspired by a quick peek at the Z28 design but it's FAR from nearly identical.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:06 PM   #116
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
hitorically you are correct, But, as this one has been designed, it will most likely be the heaviest ever...
I'm just picturing this conversation at GM:

Employee 1: "OK so the Camaro trumps most competitors at straight line speeds, but handling could use some work and it is really overweight"

Employee 2: "yeah, and those new CAFE regulations are going to require some work to meet"

Employee 1: "And you know the first generation Z28 had a smaller, higher-strung engine, and an emphasis on handling and track worthiness"

Employee 2: "So clearly, given that we need to work on anything that isn't related to going fast in a straight line, have tougher fuel economy regulations, are criticized for being overweight, and we have a certain heritage to consider, the clear solution is to make a Z28 that is lighter, more efficient, and goes around a road course or canyon/mountain road better than an SS. That is the only logical conclusion."

Employee 1: "Nope, clearly we need to throw on a monster supercharger, even more weight, some appearance mods, and call it a day. That only makes sense"

Everyone else: "Wait....what? "

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:06 PM   #117
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
I'm just picturing this conversation at GM:

Employee 1: "OK so the Camaro trumps most competitors at straight line speeds, but handling could use some work and it is really overweight"

Employee 2: "yeah, and those new CAFE regulations are going to require some work to meet"

Employee 1: "And you know the first generation Z28 had a smaller, higher-strung engine, and an emphasis on handling and track worthiness"

Employee 2: "So clearly, given that we need to work on anything that isn't related to going fast in a straight line, have tougher fuel economy regulations, are criticized for being overweight, and we have a certain heritage to consider, the clear solution is to make a Z28 that is lighter, more efficient, and goes around a road course or canyon/mountain road better than an SS. That is the only logical conclusion."

Employee 1: "Nope, clearly we need to throw on a monster supercharger, even more weight, some appearance mods, and call it a day. That only makes sense"

Everyone else: "Wait....what? "
And unfortunately that is very likely how the scenario will actually play out when they do build a new Z/28, it seems from what we've seen and heard that it will be the high HP/weight version.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:54 PM   #118
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
And unfortunately that is very likely how the scenario will actually play out when they do build a new Z/28, it seems from what we've seen and heard that it will be the high HP/weight version.
Clyde
Welcome to 2009. However, as I said before, the car can certainly be made lighter, you just can't expect it to be there at a price-point most would feel is appropriate for a Camaro.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:55 PM   #119
hollywoodGU

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpr View Post
You sort of know what you are talking about. It was the first gen camaro's that only one z/28 convertible was ever produced. They had to pass the idea by the big wigs to build the z/28 model and he was a huge convertible fan. So they built one z/28 convertible to butter him up and get the cars built.
i know that whole thing...for some reason while i was posting i was thinking that was for all gens, not just first gens even tho i have a highschool friend who owned a 4th gen z28
Old 07-01-2009, 08:17 PM   #120
big_dog
Future Z28 Owner.

Drives: Future Camaro Owner
I have a question. Except for performance, and the hood, does anyone know, or have an idea of what other kind of exterior or interior changes will be made?
big_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:23 PM   #121
stovt001

I can give you weight on the basis of performance, since once you do get into supercar range the weights are up there. Stock, no the weight is too much, but if you're looking at it as a platform for building a supercar, then I will grant you your points.

Now aside from performance, GM still has to think about CAFE, and the only way to do that and retain performance is to shrink power and weight to maintain power to weight ratios.

The other part of the weight issue is the perception of size. For whatever reason, while the G8 seems to shrink around you in turns, the Camaro feels like its growing larger. Make all the numbers you want, but if you can't place the apex, you're still at a liability. I don't think that's anything they can fix on the Z28. It will have to come with the next generation, when the inevitably shrink and de-power the car.

Just a dream away
Old 07-02-2009, 10:27 AM   #122
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
The other part of the weight issue is the perception of size. For whatever reason, while the G8 seems to shrink around you in turns, the Camaro feels like its growing larger. Make all the numbers you want, but if you can't place the apex, you're still at a liability.
Now you are on my turf. When we are done Pedderising your car you'll be able to hit apexes with a 2010 Camaro that feels 1,000 pounds lighter. The car will track and turn-in at levels that will radically alter your opinion. The difference in perspective is that I have already driven a dialed in 5th Gen. We have to get you into a fully Pedderised 5th Gen.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #123
2010SSRS

Drives: 2000 Silverado

VR 2SSRS LS3 - Borla, SLP CAI
2010SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:23 AM   #124
hollywoodGU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRS View Post
Old 07-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #125
stovt001

The 500 hp Genesis doesn't surprise me. Even the 4-bangers are related to the Evo motor. It shouldn't be too difficult to extract that power out of them.

JusticePete, I'm going back and forth over the direction I want to go with my Camaro. Right now, I'll probably get a convertible as a weekend cruiser, and so the weight/suspension won't be all that important to me. I'm still considering getting a coupe for both DD and weekend fun duties (mainly depends on gas prices & work travel demands) and if that's the case, a Pedders suspension is mod #1.

Just a dream away
Old 07-05-2009, 08:59 PM   #126
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
There are plenty of Genisis/heavy Camaro/fill in the blank, threads out there. Take that conversation there please.

Back on track.

Z28.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 camaro z28, 2012 z28, camaro z28, new camaro z28, new z28, z28