Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-10-2023, 01:54 AM   #99
FASTFATBOY

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by highrevving View Post
My original post was referring to the marketing prowess of Ford compared to Chevy. I'm new to the muscle car world and was gravitated to Z28/GT350 track focused capabilities. Test drove both and decided on the Z which is more of a stripped-down-bare-bones-no-frills track monster. I desired more of my friend's GT3RS type driving dynamics. GT350 come equipped with more amenities like back-up camera and stuff. Ultimately, the racing hardware (NA7.0/dry sump/DSSV/ceramics..) was more important to me. Plus, the relation to the historic Le Mans winning C6R.

I did not mean to offend anybody.
You didn't offend anyone, a C5 Z06 would have been a better choice for a track car. Cheap to run, cheap to fix and fast.

When that LS7 comes unwound, and there is a decent probability it will, the cars value will be flushed and you'll be stroking a 13-15K check for a used engine with the same issues that caused the first one to fail.

If you haven't had the heads checked/fixed I would highly recommend it if you are tracking the car.
Old 02-10-2023, 08:02 AM   #100
CamayroZ

Drives: '15 Z/28
I am just thankful that we are able to purchase awesome cars such as ZL1/1LE, SS1LE, Z/28, Z06, ZR1, etc.

I have been wondering when the last G6/ZL1E will be "really" produced? That may end the era...

Last edited by CamayroZ; 02-10-2023 at 08:16 AM.
CamayroZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 11:07 AM   #101
macalot

Drives: 1969 Z/28 + 2015 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY View Post
When that LS7 comes unwound, and there is a decent probability it will...
What number of Z/28 LS7s came apart from the supposed valve issue? I've yet to see that number.

I bought mine new. I broke it in exactly as specified. I've tracked it one season. I love the LS7, and do run it hard at times, like you should. Go buy a used Z/28 and you have no idea how the previous owner(s) broke in the motor ( or most likely not ), maintained it, or drove it, etc. I just don't believe our Z/28's have an issue that is worth worrying about if treated properly from the get go.

If you are concerned by all means spend the $$'s for piece of mind.
Old 02-10-2023, 01:31 PM   #102
MIKZ28

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28 #311
Quote:
You didn't offend anyone, a C5 Z06 would have been a better choice for a track car. Cheap to run, cheap to fix and fast.

When that LS7 comes unwound, and there is a decent probability it will, the cars value will be flushed and you'll be stroking a 13-15K check for a used engine with the same issues that caused the first one to fail.

If you haven't had the heads checked/fixed I would highly recommend it if you are tracking the car.
99% of the LS7 valve train problems were on modified engines. Mostly higher lift cams. If you leave it stock no problems.
MIKZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 03:00 PM   #103
GeneRoss

Drives: 14 Z/28 #368 02 SS(sold) 2012 Equus
Quote:
It won't though not for a very long time, that IS my point. GT 350's flew off of lots when they hit the ground initially, you seem to not get this part of the entire deal. The reason the C8 and even the C7 initially sold like hotcakes is because people ACTUALLY wanted those cars. The Z28 was marketed, it was tested at tracks, put into magazines at put on the net like every car like it. It was even tested at the Ring, the C7 Z06 was not if memory serves.

Once again, you don't read well. Put the 6th gen on the Trofeo R or put the Z28 on the Supercar tire and at a place like Barber Motorsports park the 6th gen is faster, a place like VIR the 6th gen would significantly close the gap. This in itself makes the Z28 less desirable.

BTW all tracks are "technical tracks".

ZL1's and SS Camaro 5th gen cars didn't sit on lots for up to 3 years, you can't be serious here.

You seem to rely on what magazines say, out in the real world on tracks it's much different.

Here is a vid of a 6th gen SS1LE running a 1:34.08 at Barber with only a brake pad change(and not a very good choice at that). A buddy who can drive took a rock stock 6th gen 1LE and ran a 1:38 at Road Atlanta with it, that's fast.

Here is a Vid of Mark Steilow(very accomplished driver) running a 1:37.10 at Barber in a Z28 during a test for Super Chevy.

This guy went a 1:38.3 on Continental slicks, about .4 quicker than my buddy in a factory stock 2017 SS 1LE at Road Atlanta.

Even Randy Pobst could only get a 1:36 out of the Z28 at Barber and he is a pro driver.
https://fastestlaps.com/tests/8uoihhrubz1d

Once people learned how to drive the 6th Gen SS 1LE's electronic rear differential they became weapons on track. My buddy who ran the 1.38 at Road Atlanta told me about when he figure it out.

What's left in your bag of excuses for the Z28?
Oh the irony.

What cars run on different days with different drivers is irrelevant. Congrats, you have a friend who does a few laps in his SS.

You actually think people want the SS 1LE? They don't. That's why GM is axing the Camaro. it doesn't sell. Your point here is mind boggling. The Gen 6 is the superior car to the Dodge Challenger and to the Ford Mustang. A GT350 wont hang with an SS 1LE. You would need the 75K (or whatever they cost) version 350R to run with the SS 1LE. Yet the GT350 sold well and overall mustangs kill Camaros in sales. It's also ironic you bring up the Z/28 dropping valves but praise the GT350 thats known for the Voodoo to be a time bomb. Ok.

Again, I don't understand your point? First its lap times then its what people like and how the car sells? And your lap time argument is also moot as both the Z/28 and Gen 6 1LE are near super car levels fast. The Z/28 is better suited for the road course with the hardware it comes with, period. 7 Liter LS7 6 speed old school looks. The Gen 6 doesn't check that. It's a cool car but its not as raw as the Z/28. You don't like the Z/28 ok.... don't buy it. You're sitting here trying to fabricate stories because you're salty about the price of the car.

You're sitting here arguing over nothing. A 993 Turbo S won't keep up with 991 Turbo S but the 993 Turbo S costs just as much today. Its special.

Z/28's will hit 100K eventually based on the race hardware and exclusivity/low production numbers. No one is forcing you to buy a Z/28 lol. It really sounds like you're salty its pricey and your ZL1 doesn't get mentioned in the same regard.

I shopped both the Gen 6 SS 1LE and the ZL1 with the Z/28. I just thought the Z/28 was cooler and more badass. And the LS7 was the breaking point. To each their own. If you don't get why this car is cool I don't really know what to tell you.
2014 Z/28 #368

Last edited by GeneRoss; 02-10-2023 at 03:10 PM.
GeneRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 03:52 PM   #104
JRowe500

Drives: Camaro z28
[

Again, I don't understand your point? First its lap times then its what people like and how the car sells? And your lap time argument is also moot as both the Z/28 and Gen 6 1LE are near super car levels fast. The Z/28 is better suited for the road course with the hardware it comes with, period. 7 Liter LS7 6 speed old school looks. The Gen 6 doesn't check that. It's a cool car but its not as raw as the Z/28. You don't like the Z/28 ok.... don't buy it. You're sitting here trying to fabricate stories because you're salty about the price of the car.

You're sitting here arguing over nothing. A 993 Turbo S won't keep up with 991 Turbo S but the 993 Turbo S costs just as much today. Its special.

Z/28's will hit 100K eventually based on the race hardware and exclusivity/low production numbers. No one is forcing you to buy a Z/28 lol. It really sounds like you're salty its pricey and your ZL1 doesn't get mentioned in the same regard.

I shopped both the Gen 6 SS 1LE and the ZL1 with the Z/28. I just thought the Z/28 was cooler and more badass. And the LS7 was the breaking point. To each their own. If you don't get why this car is cool I don't really know what to tell you.[/QUOTE]

I think his point was to just annoy people. See how many he can get to react. The Z28 is a factory prepped track car. No frills like the ones from the 60s. I love that the trunk has no carpets. It's as simple as you can get a modern car today. That's what makes it special. And the fact that most people have no idea what a 14 or 15 Z28 represents (even Camaro owners like him) makes it special to me. Wish I could put 19 inch Minilites on it. I have a 73 Trans am with a 505 all aluminum engine in it. I bet he would say its nothing special too via keyboard.
JRowe500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 05:27 PM   #105
highrevving

Drives: Z/28
I think this one sold for 104k at Mecum per forum member.

highrevving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 05:41 PM   #106
Brucey0317

Drives: 2017 SS Sedan, 16 Silverado 15 Z/28
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N4c9SoVAQhE

Listen to Fran’s comments while tuning. This is a guy who has tuned quite a bit, seen a lot of cars and I’ve rarely heard him be so complimentary of a model. 10:11 mark.
Brucey0317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 11:07 PM   #107
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Old 02-11-2023, 07:56 AM   #108
FASTFATBOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneRoss View Post
Oh the irony.

What cars run on different days with different drivers is irrelevant. Congrats, you have a friend who does a few laps in his SS.

You actually think people want the SS 1LE? They don't. That's why GM is axing the Camaro. it doesn't sell. Your point here is mind boggling. The Gen 6 is the superior car to the Dodge Challenger and to the Ford Mustang. A GT350 wont hang with an SS 1LE. You would need the 75K (or whatever they cost) version 350R to run with the SS 1LE. Yet the GT350 sold well and overall mustangs kill Camaros in sales. It's also ironic you bring up the Z/28 dropping valves but praise the GT350 thats known for the Voodoo to be a time bomb. Ok.

I shopped both the Gen 6 SS 1LE and the ZL1 with the Z/28. I just thought the Z/28 was cooler and more badass. And the LS7 was the breaking point. To each their own. If you don't get why this car is cool I don't really know what to tell you.

So you present "you are talking about .1 difference, on bigger tacks the Z28 will dominate" blah blah blah.

I give you examples and blow up that argument and you tap dance around and spit out more blab blah blah.

An old wise man once said "don't hold onto a mistake just because you spent a long time making it."

Hey if you like the car, fine but don't make excuses for it. I showed you an amateur driver at Barber was faster than a pro driver at Barber in your car.....you tap dance.

100K LOL, in 30 years, maybe.

I don't dislike the Z28 at all, I dislike guys like you who own them. You are like the old guy at the car show with a 62 Impala with a 283 and 4 speed "that jumps Coke cans and runs 10's stock."

But, anyway, enjoy your car. Just don't get on track with a well driven SS 1LE as your "factory bare bones race car" will get embarrassed.

The reason most in here said they bought the Z28 is because "it's a bare bones factory race car."
Old 02-11-2023, 10:52 AM   #109
FASTFATBOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKZ28 View Post
99% of the LS7 valve train problems were on modified engines. Mostly higher lift cams. If you leave it stock no problems.
There have been many many stock low mile cars who have detonated themselves in the C6 Z06 world. In the Vette is is so bad that many have taken cars back to the dealer to have guides checked.

Many low mile cars have valve guide issues, whether they are stock or not. Modified does accelerate the already present issue as the guide is not concentric with the seat. There have been class action lawsuits over this issue.

When a C6 Z06 goes up for sale the very first question asked is "have the heads been fixed, how long ago was it and who did the work?"

21,000 miles

GM TSB addressing the issue

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...13675-9999.pdf

There was also a "wiggle test" developed for these engines, you can Google it.

When you get enough valve guide wear the valve cocks over and the rocker will unkey the valve, then $$$$

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ure-stock.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lve-issue.html

Imagine how many had no idea Corvette Forum or that thread existed? I wonder what the multiplier is? The LS7 is the exact reason I bought a C5 Z06 for a track car instead of a C6 Z06. Blow up a LS6, 7K. Blow up an LS7, 15K.

There are multiple threads on this issue on Corvette Forum.

The coating also fails on the rods causing big $

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 02-11-2023 at 11:27 AM.
FASTFATBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 11:29 AM   #110
JRowe500

Quote:
There have been many many stock low mile cars who have detonated themselves in the C6 Z06 world. In the Vette is is so bad that many have taken cars back to the dealer to have guides checked.

Many low mile cars have valve guide issues, whether they are stock or not. Modified does accelerate the already present issue as the guide is not concentric with the seat. There have been class action lawsuits over this issue.

When a C6 Z06 goes up for sale the very first question asked is "have the heads been fixed, how long ago was it and who did the work?"

21,000 miles

GM TSB addressing the issue

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...13675-9999.pdf

There was also a "wiggle test" developed for these engines, you can Google it.

When you get enough valve guide wear the valve cocks over and the rocker will unkey the valve, then $$$$

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ure-stock.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lve-issue.html

Imagine how many had no idea Corvette Forum or that thread existed? I wonder what the multiplier is? The LS7 is the exact reason I bought a C5 Z06 for a track car instead of a C6 Z06. Blow up a LS6, 7K. Blow up an LS7, 15K.

There are multiple threads on this issue on Corvette Forum.

The coating also fails on the rods causing big $
https://youtu.be/NbbXtiQwTgI

I guess everyone has his opinion. And Fatboy wants everyone to know his.

If your not interested in Z28 why are here? I thought you were going away.
Old 02-11-2023, 12:56 PM   #111
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRowe500 View Post
https://youtu.be/NbbXtiQwTgI
I thought you were going away.
No, I went away. I had to see if there was anything interesting posted since I left. That video surely you can make a better arguement than that.

What a load of BS. No valve guide problems is like saying no blend door problems other than 2010 models 'where GM admitted a problem'.
After about the 4th innacuracy I couldn't watch it anymore.
More airflow means it runs lean and burns up ...
Can't use bronze quides with titanium valves
On a racetrack shift at peak torq don't go near higher rpm (peak horsepower as if that's not a thing)

Do people really believe this stuff, it looks like a nice garage decorations but I wouldn't buy a damn thing from him with this mechanical "expertise".
Edit: reading comments under that video are more entertaining than this thread even Some of his shop reviews are not so positive either, big surprise.
Attached Images

Last edited by silversleeper; 02-11-2023 at 01:08 PM. Reason: reading video comments
silversleeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 02:26 PM   #112
JRowe500

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
No, I went away. I had to see if there was anything interesting posted since I left. That video surely you can make a better arguement than that.

What a load of BS. No valve guide problems is like saying no blend door problems other than 2010 models 'where GM admitted a problem'.
After about the 4th innacuracy I couldn't watch it anymore.
More airflow means it runs lean and burns up ...
Can't use bronze quides with titanium valves
On a racetrack shift at peak torq don't go near higher rpm (peak horsepower as if that's not a thing)

Do people really believe this stuff, it looks like a nice garage decorations but I wouldn't buy a damn thing from him with this mechanical "expertise".
Edit: reading comments under that video are more entertaining than this thread even Some of his shop reviews are not so positive either, big surprise.

Google lifter issues for 2013 and you can see they have had them too. Google lifter issues for Toyotas and then have had them too. I would assume Z28s are not driven like Toyotas.