Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-14-2010, 07:48 AM   #1
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
poor XM reception

I have had satellite radio for 6 years and my last car had it built into the receiver. immediately i noticed how if you are around any trees in the camaro it quickly drops the signal. if my signal drops long enough it defaults to the preview channel which is really annoying.... probably my only complaint at this point of the car. I am debating if i will keep satellite service if the signal is going to behave like this. also xm as priority over sirius is a mistake no howard stern unless you pay for the extra channels... that totally blows although howard could be gone soon and it wont matter then
Ironheadspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironheadspearo View Post
I have had satellite radio for 6 years and my last car had it built into the receiver. immediately i noticed how if you are around any trees in the camaro it quickly drops the signal. if my signal drops long enough it defaults to the preview channel which is really annoying.... probably my only complaint at this point of the car. I am debating if i will keep satellite service if the signal is going to behave like this. also xm as priority over sirius is a mistake no howard stern unless you pay for the extra channels... that totally blows although howard could be gone soon and it wont matter then
Note bold area, my car NEVER did this before but just started doing it recently since about last Thursday. I am pretty sure My radio is broken, I called XM and they said the same. It doesn't happen all the time its kind of random, but mine will just cut out from a tree or something, even for a very short time and occasionally go to the preview channel. I'm gonna call the dealer this week.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
GreyLS3SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Mine does the same drops signals and defaults to preview. I won't be keeping the XM, if I drive under a bridge it loses signal, FM works fine in fact gets a better signal and doesn't drop compared to XM.
GreyLS3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:56 AM   #4
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

my guess is if the signal is a total loss it goes to the default channel which is the preview channel. on open highway travel i get fine signal but go near any trees even if they are not overhead it loses signal. this is a bad move because ill be damned to pay premium for a service if the product is that bad. someone needs to address this with a recall to make it work correctly.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:02 AM   #5
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyLS3SS View Post
Mine does the same drops signals and defaults to preview. I won't be keeping the XM, if I drive under a bridge it loses signal, FM works fine in fact gets a better signal and doesn't drop compared to XM.
Has yours always done that? Did you notice how long you would lose the signal before it does that? I've had my car for over a year and it NEVER EVER defaulted to preview until last thursday.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
daphatgrant
June '10

Drives: '10 2SS/RS RJT
Well if it's any consolation I was riding in a friends Honda CR-V and when going under a bridge XM cutout and went to the preview channel as well so it's not just limited to us.

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
daphatgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:51 AM   #7
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Coming from driving a vw jetta with satellite I can attest that the signal reception in my camaro is far worse in regards to signal issues.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:58 AM   #8
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
Mine works excelently. It has a strong and clear signal_______________________UNTIL_________you are out of the city on tree lined byways, then it is an aggravating piece of crap that fades in and out every thirty seconds. I am on the $20.00 five month renewal offer now and I will cancel it before it ends. This is a bigger rip off than cable TV. I will plug my cell phone into my auxilliary jack and listen to my 625 songs that are on the MP3 player and not pay or have fadeouts.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #9
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironheadspearo View Post
Coming from driving a vw jetta with satellite I can attest that the signal reception in my camaro is far worse in regards to signal issues.
I had Sirius units for like 5 years before this. In my 2000 Vette I even mounted the antenna INSIDE my rear bumper for a clean look. It got FAR better reception than my Camaro ever has.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #10
green man

Drives: 1SS/RS M6
I know every spot in town where it's going to cut-out. It gets pretty frustrating at times and I'm not sure if I'm going to renew or not.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:58 AM   #11
peele1

Drives: 2010 Victory Red 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Has yours always done that? Did you notice how long you would lose the signal before it does that? I've had my car for over a year and it NEVER EVER defaulted to preview until last thursday.
Same thing is happening to me, Rogueleader. I've had my car since May '09 and this past Friday the radio started cutting out and going to the preview channel. Doesn't seem to happen for any reason, just randomly does it.
VIN #4403 Victory Red 1LT/RS
peele1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:59 AM   #12
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
it's a satellite-based system, like hand-held GPS units I use at work. You go under heavy tree canopy, you won't get a signal, and of course, through tunnels and parking decks and sometimes under bridges, etc. If it can't "see" the satellite, it just doesn't work. really no way around it. I've never had mine go to a different channel though.
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #13
GreyLS3SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
XM signal loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
I have only had mine since late May and I only used XM on a trip or two across state but yes it has done it since I used XM. I got acall from an XM saleman wanting me to renew and I basically told him it sucked so why would I renew. I think it took it him by suprise because he didn't push the issue like many others have.
GreyLS3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #14
CaniacFan

Drives: '10 SS CGM #75,288, '14 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDAN View Post
Mine works excelently. It has a strong and clear signal_______________________UNTIL_________you are out of the city on tree lined byways, then it is an aggravating piece of crap that fades in and out every thirty seconds. I am on the $20.00 five month renewal offer now and I will cancel it before it ends. This is a bigger rip off than cable TV. I will plug my cell phone into my auxilliary jack and listen to my 625 songs that are on the MP3 player and not pay or have fadeouts.
Ya, me too, it's great in the FallWinter when there are no leaves on those tree lined areas, not now "not so good"..

Can't they build in a 3-5 second delay in transmitting - kinda like the TV networks do in the case of a "wardrobe malfuntion".. BTW, my husband's Sirius's reception is way more sensitive than my Camaro's..
CaniacFan is offline   Reply With Quote