Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-20-2019, 05:29 PM   #1
NJ-JRS
C5

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS Red accents on Black
Can Onstar remote start cause misfiring?

Hey guys,

Is this a possibility at all? Last couple weeks I've been having random issues with my vehicle. Rumbling after starting engine, then hesitation and rough shifts, especially at the lower gears downshifting when coming to stop. The fourth time this happened was Thursday, at which point I finally got a blinking CEL with the Service Stabilitrak message, both of which went away after 10 seconds of being on despite the problem persisting on that trip. I realized there were two things in common every time this happened...cold weather (15-30 degrees) and initially tried starting the car with Onstar.

The vehicle has started and ran normal between these issues the last couple of weeks in the cold weather though, so the Onstar was the only thing that has been consistent with the issue coming up, as the only 4 times I've used the remote start the last two weeks were the 4x the misfiring occurred.

Could it possibly be something related to the Onstar remote start to cause an issue like this? Or is it just an odd coincidence?
Old 01-22-2019, 08:43 PM   #2
fly2hip8

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
The remote start just starts the car the same as if you turned the key yourself. You have another issue going on.
fly2hip8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:15 AM   #3
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2hip8 View Post
The remote start just starts the car the same as if you turned the key yourself. You have another issue going on.
That's my thought too.

The unusually cold weather is more likely a contributor, either causing fuel delivery problems or weakening the battery.

With any problem that includes the Service Stabilitrac message, the first question is always: how old is your battery?
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:15 PM   #4
NJ-JRS
C5

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS Red accents on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
With any problem that includes the Service Stabilitrac message, the first question is always: how old is your battery?
Still original battery on my 2012, 58,000 miles. Car doesn't have any issues starting though, it's strictly an issue once the car is on. I'm wondering if it might be good to change the battery anyway now even though I don't have any typical low-battery symptoms?

The odd thing is I've only started the car with the key since I've posted this, and the problem hasn't come back (yet), which is making it all the weirder.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:15 PM   #5
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS A6
Well, your 7 year old battery is on borrowed time for sure, but since the car starts then quits, it could be a number of things. A blinking CEL may mean misfire. The last time that happened to me, it was in a car that was used daily but parked outdoors. Mice made a home under the engine cover and chewed the fuel injector harness. They are attracted to warm engines, and if you park in the same spot every night after work, they will move in.

Pull your cover and look for droppings and acorn shells.

Another possibility is a failing fuel pump. It could be running briefly, then overheating and seizing up due to worn bearings. I had a problem like this, too. The fuel pump would run for a couple of minutes and then seize, cool off, and start running again. Fortunately, the truck was a manual, so I was able to disengage the clutch, coast, and then restart. I nursed the truck along for 20 miles like that and got it to my local garage for repair. One reason I knew this was happening and tried the coast and re-start approach was that a co-worker had had the same problem with the same truck (full size Blazer in the '80s). Actually, I haven't heard of any fuel pump failures on late model GM cars or trucks, so probably not this.

I think you need to get the codes, or just take the car to a good shop.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote