Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 11-03-2008, 10:48 AM   #15
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99b4c View Post
Same here, why would they get rid of the fin on the C6 in 07, only to put it on the Camaro in 09? Maybe they have all these antennas left over and need a place to use them? This is why I wont buy the first year, its hard not to but the details need to be right first.
You know GM did this with the 98 C5, half way through the year they released the HUD and Active Handling. I had several buddies (early adopters) that were not happy campers. I didn'thave any special insight and my 1996 was performing well, so wait until 1999 before I bought my first C5.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:36 PM   #16
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
If your happy than that's all that really matters.
The shark fin makes me happy, hopefully that really matters too.

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:18 PM   #17
turbocrazy

Drives: Cadillac CTS & 2010 BLK SS/RS
Quote:
Same here, why would they get rid of the fin on the C6 in 07, only to put it on the Camaro in 09? Maybe they have all these antennas left over and need a place to use them? This is why I wont buy the first year, its hard not to but the details need to be right first.
I am taking the risk on the first year model and you are right look what I get. A left over antenna glued to the roof of my beautifully desgined 2010 Camaro.
turbocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:53 AM   #18
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
So is the radio antenna integrated into the windshield/rear window or is the shark fin a combo of XM/OnStar/& AM/FM radio?

I've been reading these forums for months and have never seen anyone bring it up, so I finally registered just so I could ask!
All Camaro coupes have AM/FM antennas integrated into the rear window. However the convertible has an ugly horse whip antenna, surprisingly more people complain about the shark fin antenna than this. Doesn't make sense to me.

As you can see from this picture the lines going down the center of the rear glass is an AM/FM antenna. Funny, I just noticed this Camaro had it's Shark Fin Antenna painted.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:20 AM   #19
99b4c

Drives: 89 RS/99 GTP/1SS soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA FAST View Post
All Camaro coupes have AM/FM antennas integrated into the rear window. However the convertible has an ugly horse whip antenna, surprisingly more people complain about the shark fin antenna than this. Doesn't make sense to me.

As you can see from this picture the lines going down the center of the rear glass is an AM/FM antenna. Funny, I just noticed this Camaro had it's Shark Fin Antenna painted.

Its good to see the radio antenna in the rear glass of the coupe, I just think the roof would look clean without the Onstar fin and no hole to worry about water getting in. Painted or not, it is a lump on the roof.

The convert looks too cluttered with the whip and fin on the back, too many antennas.
99b4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:31 AM   #20
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Just think of all the ones where they put the shark fin over the driver's side on the roof, now that was very ugly.. if it has to be there it needs to be centered over the rear window or front windshield, and on the Vert, the center of the trunk.

Now if the Vert has the regular whip radio antenna you may be able to purchase one from GM Parts Direct that goes on the Opel GT. I got one for my Sky and it is only about a foot tall and will not lose any reception.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #21
Jamestwilliams

Drives: Grand Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
This is so typical of GM, Cheby hides the XM antenna in the door mirrors on the Corvette, they have since 2006. Only the first year C6 had the “wart”. History repeats itself.

GM’s inability to sweat the little things never ceases to amaze me.
How does the onstar antennae work when the roof panel on a corvette is either fiberglass or Carbon fibre? There are no metal panels on a corvette to operate as a metallic ground plate.
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:09 PM   #22
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
Its good to see the radio antenna in the rear glass of the coupe, I just think the roof would look clean without the Onstar fin and no hole to worry about water getting in. Painted or not, it is a lump on the roof.

The convert looks too cluttered with the whip and fin on the back, too many antennas.
I also would prefer they hide the shark fin, but a whip AM/FM antenna is far more of an eye sore than a shark fin. As long as they paint the shark fin I think I can live with it, even though I wish GM would hide it along with the convertibles whip antenna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Now if the Vert has the regular whip radio antenna you may be able to purchase one from GM Parts Direct that goes on the Opel GT. I got one for my Sky and it is only about a foot tall and will not lose any reception.
That just makes it less of an eye sore, it's still there. It needs to be hidden in the body like the Corvette convertibles AM/FM antenna. GM can do it but I know they will cheap out on it.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:31 AM   #23
99b4c

Drives: 89 RS/99 GTP/1SS soon
That just makes it less of an eye sore, it's still there. It needs to be hidden in the body like the Corvette convertibles AM/FM antenna. GM can do it but I know they will cheap out on it.[/QUOTE]

I bet its gone on the 2011 Camaro, just like it disappeared on the Vette. If not, I hope we can delete it, then everyone is happy.
99b4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:00 AM   #24
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
That just makes it less of an eye sore, it's still there. It needs to be hidden in the body like the Corvette convertibles AM/FM antenna. GM can do it but I know they will cheap out on it.

I bet its gone on the 2011 Camaro, just like it disappeared on the Vette. If not, I hope we can delete it, then everyone is happy.
I wish I could believe that but I can't. Look at the Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice, they've been around for years but they never got rid of the antenna. I like the delete idea, but I hope that means they place the antenna in the body because it would suck to lose the AM/FM reception.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:48 AM   #25
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
I like the delete idea, but I hope that means they place the antenna in the body because it would suck to lose the AM/FM reception.
the AM/FM antenna is built into the back glass. check out some of the pics from SEMA. the vertical lines in the defroster are the antenna
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:26 PM   #26
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
the AM/FM antenna is built into the back glass. check out some of the pics from SEMA. the vertical lines in the defroster are the antenna
Yes I know that, but if you look at the convertible it has a horse whip antenna. The coupe is fine, the convertible is where the issue is. That horse whip antenna and shark fin on the trunk of the convertible really ruin it's beauty.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:16 PM   #27
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Yes I know that, but if you look at the convertible it has a horse whip antenna. The coupe is fine, the convertible is where the issue is. That horse whip antenna and shark fin on the trunk of the convertible really ruin it's beauty.
the 'vert is also still in pre-production, so they're probably gonna work on "little" stuff later. right now, they're a little more interested in making sure the body still keeps it's strength w/o a roof & stuff like that.
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:31 PM   #28
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
the 'vert is also still in pre-production, so they're probably gonna work on "little" stuff later. right now, they're a little more interested in making sure the body still keeps it's strength w/o a roof & stuff like that.
Thats what I thought when GM released the Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice. Still even after 3 years they have an ugly 3' mast antenna sticking out the rear. Why would the Camaro Convertible be any different?

Tags
antenna, audio, radio, sound