Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-16-2014, 12:26 AM   #1
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Bad PR for Chevy as SS Pace Car bursts into flames during Daytona Sprint race!

The car that was pacing the Sprint Unlimited burst into flames late in the race on Saturday night.

WATCH VIDEO HERE: Chevy SS pace car bursts into flames during NASCAR Sprint Unlimited
No one hurt in fire
By: Steven Cole Smith on February 15, 2014

The blue Chevrolet SS pace car being used by NASCAR to pace the Sprint Unlimited at Daytona International Speedway caught on fire while leading the 10 remaining competitors under caution, with 54 laps in the book.

Pace car driver and former NASCAR competitor Brett Bodine was driving at the normal speed of about 75 mph, when he suddenly dove to the apron and accelerated, apparently aware that the car was on fire, as he tried to get the SS to a fire truck.

But the cockpit filled with smoke, and Bodine stopped on the apron just past turn two, and he and an unidentified NASCAR official riding in the passenger seat jumped out. Flames were visible from the car's trunk. Crews quickly extinguished the flames and the car was towed to the garage on a rollback, and an identical SS was pressed into service to continue pacing the field.

At this writing, there is no further information on the cause. The incident was reminiscent of, but less serious than, the collision that driver Juan Pablo Montoya had during the finish of the rain-delayed Daytona 500 with a jet track dryer in February of 2012.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:31 AM   #2
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Bad pr? LOL. It was a very small incident that was im sure due to the electrical equipment for the flashers and related gear in the trunk like in all pace cars.
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:32 AM   #3
BlackDahlia

Drives: a Chevy!
That's a shame! And it wasn't even a hybrid...

'10 2SS/RS - LS3/6M
'14 Sonic HB - LUV/6M
'08 Silverado - LMM/6A
BlackDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:38 AM   #4
blessedhellride

Drives: 2014 Z/28; 2014 Ram 2500 CTD
love the color of that ss, wish it was avalible
Old 02-16-2014, 06:55 AM   #5
omgitsmikeyC

Drives: 2014 CTS-V- totalled/ 45TH ss- SOLD
Heard it was the spare battery packs that caused the fire. Such a shame for such a pretty car.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:36 AM   #6
dgriddick

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Not a Fan of a Car called an SS that did not exist back in the Day.. can the rest burn up too?

SS was a trim .. what the heck is an SS anyway

RS.. next on a another car.. maybe a COPO or Z28 too...
dgriddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:52 AM   #7
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgriddick View Post
Not a Fan of a Car called an SS that did not exist back in the Day.. can the rest burn up too?

SS was a trim...
I agree. I look for them to drop the SS model altogether and re-introduce the Chevelle. Then make it available in SS trim, like in the "old days". It would be a cool change to introduce along with the 2016 Gen6 Camaro.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:54 AM   #8
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
I agree. I look for them to drop the SS model re-introduce the Chevelle. Then make it available in SS trim. It would be a cool change to introduce along with the 2016 Gen6 Camaro.
yeah but they won't make a competitor to the Camaro, just like when Poncho closed they didn't keep the Solstice

Truth be told, the 5Gen Camaro says "Camaro" to me on the outside, but "Chevelle" to me from the inside.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:05 AM   #9
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Not a fan of the Four door POS they call the SS that a while back GM promised us SS was going to mean something, well yes it did apparently, a uglier v-8 version of a Malibu four door they ripped from Holden before gutting them. Guess we should not be surprised when they come out with the RS, or the Z71, and well its like t.v., they have no new ideas so they redo the same shows over and over. Maybe we should wait until they start putting big z-28 stickers on Camaros again to know we are in the glory days, oh that's right they gave the z-28 that was a high revving little 302 a 427... Gee could not call it a ZL1 as per the original 427 Camaros because they already ripped that name off the old 427 engine.......... God If I had a new idea they would most likely never hire me......... Like calling a super charged ss say a super SS, or FI SS, Or...... oh god forgive me I am rambling...... Actually saw a new impala the other day....... the trunk was a hunch back though.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:56 AM   #10
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
SS has to be the ugliest car GM has made in a while, looks like a box on wheels , shame to waste all that HP on it.
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #11
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownhotrodder View Post
Bad pr? LOL. It was a very small incident that was im sure due to the electrical equipment for the flashers and related gear in the trunk like in all pace cars.
It doesn't mater , in the people eyes , the SS is on fire (flames shooting from the trunk )
That's what the people see
They don't see the flashing system on flames , the see the SS smoking and flames coming out from the car
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #12
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I guess we now know what the SS stands for on this Pontiac dressed as a Chevy.

Super Smoker.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #13
EdRedCamaro2
4BC Motorsports

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
It doesn't mater , in the people eyes , the SS is on fire (flames shooting from the trunk )
That's what the people see
They don't see the flashing system on flames , the see the SS smoking and flames coming out from the car
I didn't like that the two announcers are having a big old laugh-fest about the incident. I don't care whether it's a Ford, Chevy, or Tesla. Sure, they are commenting on a video, and it's a few minutes after they know Bodine and the NASCAR official are okay, but why are they treating it like it's no big deal?? Let's see if either of those two geniuses in the booth can handle themselves under the same conditions and still come away laughing...and not have to change their pants.
Arrived 9/24/09

"In racing, they say that your car goes where your eyes go...I know it's true; racing doesn't lie" The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
EdRedCamaro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:32 PM   #14
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownhotrodder View Post
Either way, bad image.