Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-03-2014, 08:32 AM   #1
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Top Gear Z/28 Review - "the results are both terrible and wonderful"

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/c...ive-2014-06-02

Not loving the barbell tires but otherwise decent review.

Quote:
Ollie Marriage
02 June 2014
First UK drive: Chevy Camaro Z/28

'The results are terrible and wonderful…' Ollie Marriage pops a brave pill and tackles the 505bhp track-spec muscle car

The Z/28. That's the sportier version of the Camaro, right?

It is, but you might not be aware just how much sportier it is. This is hardcore. There's no carpet in the boot. Air con is an option. As standard it comes with just a single solitary speaker. The flip side of this is that it has gained some go-faster tech. This good ol' boy even has carbon ceramic brakes.

Like a proper European performance car?

Well, the brakes are from Italy (Brembo), the seats are British (Recaro), the new lighter pistons are German (Mahle) and the titanium conrods hail from Austria (Pankl). Surely this sort of thing could get Chevrolet reported for un-American activities? You have to admit these inclusions seem to jar with a car that's more Clint Eastwood than Roger Moore. But we need to be modern about this - Chevy has just gone shopping for the best parts to suit its most riotous driver's car. All in, it's claimed to be 136kg lighter than the standard model.

That's what I call a diet.

I can't think of a car that's been through a more radical weight loss program - although it wasn't exactly starting from a lean base point. Still, 1733kg is commendably light for a car that's 16 feet long, 6 feet 5 inches wide and sports a 7.0-litre naturally aspirated engine in the nose. Surprisingly, this isn't the most potent Camaro - that's the supercharged 6.2-litre 580bhp ZL1 - but it is the most track ready.

It has 505bhp and 481lb ft at 4800rpm, while 0-60mph is claimed to take 4.0 secs and top speed is 190mph. I'm not completely convinced it would hit those numbers - well, if the tyres were well warmed and you were at the end of a drag strip you might have a shout with the acceleration, but it would need to be many times the length of a quarter-mile strip to get all the way to 190mph.

Tell me about the tyres.

They are totally daft, Pirelli Trofeo Rs that are - allegedly - road legal, but they're about as heavily treaded as a billiard ball. Chevy proudly claims that the fronts are "the widest front tyre on any production car". I wasn't aware that fitting 305-width Trofeo R tyres at either end of the front axle, thus creating a comedy barbell, was something to boast about. In fact, if the 500 miles I've driven on the road in it are anything to go by, then Chevy actually intended the appalling tramlining, brutal ride and puckering aquaplaning.

So why has Chevy fitted them?

Because while spindly front tyres are all very well if your engine is in the middle of the car and your name is Lotus or Ferrari, you're only going to get terminal understeer if those tyres are then pressed into the road by a V8 of steamship proportions. What these fat Trofeos do, once warm and dry, is give the Z/28 some proper front end bite. And it really does bite. The grip is amazing, the steering fast, the nose accurate. Up to a point. Cross the line and you'll discover it breaks away rather abruptly and suddenly you're fighting it as the chassis bucks, the tyres twitch and bounce and it suddenly feels every one of its 1733 kilos. It also tends to let go at the back first - there's not even a boot carpet to weigh it down, remember - and it's not the steadiest, happiest car when drifting. It does drift though.

I noticed from the pictures.

Yep, we took it to Dunsfold in the company of a Nissan GT-R and BMW M6 (see video) and found that 481lb ft will have that effect, especially when channeled through a ridiculously tight rear diff and manual gearbox. The transmission is a bit of a highlight actually - it might not have a light, flicky shift, but it's meaty, short-throw and feels like it can cope with whatever the V8 can throw at it. It also has an alcantara gearknob. And an alcantara steering wheel. And dash trim, too. It's not a bad cabin, actually, and you view the road ahead over a prairie-sized bonnet through a windscreen that's a foot high and six wide. It's not short on charisma, the Z/28.

And driving it on the road?

I wouldn't. In fact, you mustn't. Especially if it rained a week ago. The ride is utterly miserable and once you experience what those tyres do when they encounter a tramline or a camber or - heaven forbid - a trace of dampness, well let's just say it's not going to be an experience you'll forget in a hurry. Chiefly because of the insurance claim.

What's the engine like?

What do you expect from a 7.0-litre naturally aspirated V8? Imagine that and you're there. Actually, you're not there because the lighter pistons and conrods help the massive capacity lump feel perkier than you might expect. It's a flesh-and-blood engine, rumbles and bellows wonderfully, is always predictable, builds to a thunderous crescendo and delivers enough performance.

Enough? I should hope so too.

Personally I reckon it could use more. 800bhp ought to do it. It's not that the chassis could handle it, more that the car deserves it. It feels like that would be appropriate. And amusing.

The brakes would never cope...

I think they would, actually. In fact, the brakes are one of the best things about the Z/28. The power and feel through the pedal is superb. Apparently it can pull 1.5g under braking. Americans love a stat. But even so, I'm sure that Chevy appreciates the Camaro isn't just about speed - a Porsche 911 GT3 is 12 seconds faster around the Nurburgring, and on much less aggressive tyres. And the tyres do dominate the drive, giving the handling a sharp, unsettling edge.

But the overall experience? That's plain wonderful. You hammer forwards, the engine pounding and trumpeting, the traction immense, the whole car alive and throaty. No matter how old you are or how sniffy about its track credentials, there's something captivating about the Z/28. I think you've got to admire a company that's been so single-minded about turning such a huge car into a track special. The results are both terrible and wonderful.

VIDEO:

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-06-09 at 9.50.19 AM.jpg
Views: 8028
Size:  77.2 KB

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:14 AM   #2
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
I didn't see a Stig Power Lap time with the story. I am hoping the next series they actually have a Z/28 and a C7 Z06 to test.
Egon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:50 AM   #3
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
curious to know if they'll give it to the Stig. we'll see.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:50 PM   #4
Black Knight

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Finally been wating for them to review it . More so to see the stings hot lap
Old 06-09-2014, 01:06 PM   #5
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Typical TopGear understatement...

Surely this sort of thing could get Chevrolet reported for un-American activities?

I wasn't aware that fitting 305-width Trofeo R tyres at either end of the front axle, thus creating a comedy barbell, was something to boast about.

It's not a bad cabin, actually, and you view the road ahead over a prairie-sized bonnet through a windscreen that's a foot high and six wide.

I'll anticipate seeing Stig's Power Lap, but am really hoping to see Chris Harris test this car...
Old 06-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #6
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
I never understand why they are always drifting the cars, that's not the fast way around the track. One time they blew up the tires and didn't have any replacements.

Like to see the Stig lap... Should do well.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #7
Front Runner

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray Metallic SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon View Post
I didn't see a Stig Power Lap time with the story. [B]I am hoping the next series they actually have a Z/28 and a C7 Z06 to test.
Do you mean Z/28 to test against the C7 Z06? If so, why? The Z/28 & C7 Z06 (w/Z07 complete race/track package) are in two separate leagues. I love the Z/28 but I really dont think it will be much of a comparo between the two.

2016 Nightfall Gray Camaro SS
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
kobSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
Typical TopGear understatement...
I'll anticipate seeing Stig's Power Lap, but am really hoping to see Chris Harris test this car...
Hoping for the same. Although, we may be lucky and have Matt Farah and his love for Camaro, review it...
Pfadt'ed Out Level 4, Pfadt Featherlight Coilovers, Pfadt ZL1 Sways, Pedders Radius Rod Inserts, CTS-V Brakes, Borla S-Type, Quad Tips, Forgestar 22" F14's (Show), CAI Intake w/ scoop, Rx Catch-Can, AAC Lighting, Showstopper Sidemarkers

"Information is the oxygen of the modern age"

Build Thread
kobSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #9
edco
Account Suspended

Drives: 07gt
I think these specialty cars Z/28, ZL1 (Mustang GT500 included) are more for advertising and brand bragging than real world driving (streets/roads/highways-not tracks). This Z28 is 3,820 pounds dry, I read all the silly things they did just to cut 8 pounds here and eight pounds there. A greater weight reduction is achieved by removing the spare tire and jack from a GT and that does not raise the price. This euro assessment is accurate. There are some enviable things about camaro, but weight and size are not two of them. The Z28 is a track performer by overkill engine and tires. It is likely a gas hog on the road and a summer car only. In interest of fair disclosure I think the Mustang GT500 is in the same place. The Boss 302, while not matching the power numbers and track numbers is a far better street driving man's machine than GT500 Z28 or ZL1. It is more balanced, more responsive, more efficient, and more fun than any of these bad boy brutes. Chevy mimics all the Mustang derivations. The Z28 answers the Boss 302. I think it misses. You can make an army tank fast, but it is still an army tank.
Attached Images

Last edited by edco; 06-09-2014 at 10:05 PM.
edco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:27 PM   #10
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
There is still something to be said--- a lot to be said, for anything that makes people happy, in and of itself, without comparisons to anything.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:34 PM   #11
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by edco View Post
I think these specialty cars Z/28, XLE, ZL1 (Mustang GT500 included) are more for advertising and brand bragging than real world driving (streets/roads/highways-not tracks). This Z28 is 3,820 pounds dry, I read all the things they did just to cut 8 pounds here and eight pounds there. It seems insignificant. I can achieve a greater weight reduction by removing the spare tire and jack from a GT and it does not make the car cost an extra $20K. This euro assessment is accurate. There are some enviable things about camaro, but weight and size are not two of them. The Z28 is a track performer by overkill engine and tires. It is likely a gas hog on the road and a summer car only. In interest of fair disclosure I think the Mustang GT500 is in the same place. The Boss 302, while not matching the power numbers and track numbers is a far better street driving man's machine than GT500 Z28 XLE or ZL1. It is more balanced, more responsive, more efficient, and more fun than any of these bad boy brutes. Chevy mimics all the Mustang derivations. The Z28 answers the Boss 302. I think it misses. You can make an army tank fast, but it is still an army tank.
It's clear you are missing the point of the Z/28. It was never intended to be a daily driver, fuel efficient or a comfortable cruiser.

What exactly is overkill about the LS7? It is an awesome naturally aspirated power plant.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #12
Rob3D

Drives: Car
Quote:
I think these specialty cars Z/28, XLE, ZL1 (Mustang GT500 included) are more for advertising and brand bragging than real world driving (streets/roads/highways-not tracks). This Z28 is 3,820 pounds dry, I read all the silly things they did just to cut 8 pounds here and eight pounds there. A greater weight reduction is achieved by removing the spare tire and jack from a GT and that does not raise the price. This euro assessment is accurate. There are some enviable things about camaro, but weight and size are not two of them. The Z28 is a track performer by overkill engine and tires. It is likely a gas hog on the road and a summer car only. In interest of fair disclosure I think the Mustang GT500 is in the same place. The Boss 302, while not matching the power numbers and track numbers is a far better street driving man's machine than GT500 Z28 XLE or ZL1. It is more balanced, more responsive, more efficient, and more fun than any of these bad boy brutes. Chevy mimics all the Mustang derivations. The Z28 answers the Boss 302. I think it misses. You can make an army tank fast, but it is still an army tank.

Yeahhhhh... But the Camaro is better looking.
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #13
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
I never understand why they are always drifting the cars, that's not the fast way around the track. One time they blew up the tires and didn't have any replacements.

Like to see the Stig lap... Should do well.
It just it's more exciting to some people to see a car sideways through the corner with the rear tires smoking than to actually be driving the car for what it was designed to do.
That being said when the Stig does his hot laps do you ever see him drifting on purpose?
Old 06-09-2014, 03:04 PM   #14
McRat

Drives: 2010 ZR1 "Satan"
Quote:
I think these specialty cars Z/28, XLE, ZL1 (Mustang GT500 included) are more for advertising and brand bragging than real world driving (streets/roads/highways-not tracks). This Z28 is 3,820 pounds dry, I read all the silly things they did just to cut 8 pounds here and eight pounds there. A greater weight reduction is achieved by removing the spare tire and jack from a GT and that does not raise the price. This euro assessment is accurate. There are some enviable things about camaro, but weight and size are not two of them. The Z28 is a track performer by overkill engine and tires. It is likely a gas hog on the road and a summer car only. In interest of fair disclosure I think the Mustang GT500 is in the same place. The Boss 302, while not matching the power numbers and track numbers is a far better street driving man's machine than GT500 Z28 XLE or ZL1. It is more balanced, more responsive, more efficient, and more fun than any of these bad boy brutes. Chevy mimics all the Mustang derivations. The Z28 answers the Boss 302. I think it misses. You can make an army tank fast, but it is still an army tank.
OMG!!!

You mean the Z/28 is a large heavy car that kills baby dinosaurs every time you stomp on go-pedal like it was a big ass spider?

Man, I thought it's was Chevy's version of the Miata.

Thank you. I will cancel my order now.
2010 ZR1 "Satan" no times yet.
2013 Volt SCCA Solo2 #771 HS3.
And a bunch of Duramaxes.
McRat is offline   Reply With Quote